Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:28:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Beyonce goes country completely uncynically

Started by sevendaughters, February 21, 2024, 02:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

The world's second biggest pop star goes country. If you believe it's because traditionally black popular musics (edit, thanks FM) are flailing domestically while country and Latin music are on the rise, then you're plainly a racist.

This is roots music.

Famous Mortimer

Surely she's more a pop star than a hip-hop one?

dontpaintyourteeth

It's shite but everyone will say it isn't because it's beyonce, who must never be criticised

Kankurette

Mumsnet never got the memo, they hate her on there.

Didn't Gladys Knight do some country stuff? There used to be quite a bit of crossover between black soul artists and white country artist back in the '60s/'70s.

Goldentony

the pre-defensiveness when discussing stuff like this is always really funny, who are you frightened of? kids?

The Culture Bunker

Ray Charles did some country albums that were very successful, but I suspect you can go back to the blues singers to find the connection goes back a long way. Sure I read of some hip-hop chap did a country song recently that wasn't counted on the relevant Billboard chart.

Memorex MP3

The issue with Beyonce has been the same for years. She'll bring in amazing people to work with and they'll do amazing work, she'll give it her all at the same time and the two things will just totally overwhelm each other into being a really exhausting listen.

My best guess is that her actual strengths lean heavily towards the kind of diva stuff that Renaissance was aiming for but her actual tastes lean much more towards boring ballady bollocks. Something about her lyrics on a pure sonic level tends to wreck songs too, just packing in way too many words into every line.

On first listen 16 Candles is "country" but the structure of it almost feels more like a mellow late 00s Dirty Projectors track to me, which is bizarre.

Is it worth having a thread on the current country boom?

idunnosomename

Misread this as every country and thought she was doing a Joss Stone

Oosp

kalowski

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Beyoncé Knowles
Take me home
To the place
I belong

EDIT: sorry that's shit

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Goldentony on February 21, 2024, 03:37:21 PMthe pre-defensiveness when discussing stuff like this is always really funny, who are you frightened of? kids?

billionaires

Video Game Fan 2000

madhair60

i can almost see her nipples but not quite!! where's my frickin wallet?!

Goldentony

hope this is an in for Beyonce to go 'BIG COUNTRY' down the line

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on February 21, 2024, 03:56:07 PMThe issue with Beyonce has been the same for years. She'll bring in amazing people to work with and they'll do amazing work, she'll give it her all at the same time and the two things will just totally overwhelm each other into being a really exhausting listen.

My best guess is that her actual strengths lean heavily towards the kind of diva stuff that Renaissance was aiming for but her actual tastes lean much more towards boring ballady bollocks. Something about her lyrics on a pure sonic level tends to wreck songs too, just packing in way too many words into every line.

Virgo's Groove is pretty great, though, surely we can all agree on that? Surely...?

Video Game Fan 2000

as the audience for pop grows older, it increasingly resembles collector plate adverts at the back of a tv guide

this beautifully crafted ensemble of bodies and spaces can be yours for as little as £14.99 a month on our exclusive finance plan

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Proactive

Quote from: David Pielingtonburygrot on February 21, 2024, 05:34:46 PMVirgo's Groove is pretty great, though, surely we can all agree on that? Surely...?

Yeah that's pretty fucking good to be fair.

sevendaughters

someone online described her cover of Jolene as being like something Peggy Hill would do and I can't hear anything else.

Album is exactly as I expected.

iamcoop

Renaissance is fucking brilliant but I'm afraid this one is absolute dogshit.

JesusAndYourBush

Blackbird is kindof nice, and she uses the original Macca backing track too.
Jolene made me cringe.  Firstly the music is just a looped sample, and I don't know if it's looped badly but it was really noticeable that it was looped and I couldn't un-notice it. And she changed all the lyrics and the're really clunky.

Ruben Remus

The Jolene cover is very annoying to me. The original song is so strongly characterised by the sense of humility and self-doubt and quiet desperation contained in Parton's lyrics and vocals,  but that's not compatible with the modern pop idiom of relentless narcissistic self-affirmation so now we get an updated version where the message is just "I'm fucking great and the fear of losing my partner doesn't even apply to me, actually." I'm sure pitchfork have written a thousand words about how this is all very subversive and liberating but it just reads as so oblivious and point-missing to me.

Ruben Remus

Quote from: sevendaughters on April 05, 2024, 02:02:16 PMsomeone online described her cover of Jolene as being like something Peggy Hill would do and I can't hear anything else.

Yeah, this.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

This is as much a defining moment in musical history as when Dylan went electric, or Miley Cyrus went rock.

holyzombiejesus