Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 05:30:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Come on Tiger - lose like the loser you are

Started by ColaCoca, June 22, 2004, 04:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hands up if you think Tim Henman is an annoying bastard

My hand is up
39 (76.5%)
My hand is down
12 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Voting closed: June 22, 2004, 04:57:19 PM

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "Peter Hammill"I hate tennis full stop, middle class kids ...

Except the Williams sisters, who are from the roughest neighbourhood in the western world.

weekender

Quote from: "The Unicorn"who are from the roughest neighbourhood in the western world.

*yawn* Cramlington? *yawn*

Just before anyone else did, like.

gazzyk1ns

I'm a weirdo when it comes to tennis, sometimes I'll flick the TV over to see that tennis is on and I'll not want to watch it at all... but then come summer and I'm up for it, I'll take a great interest in tennis, starting with the French open. I am an Ivanisevic fan, when he played Henman in that semi, I was cheering for Goran.

But I do like Henman, I can't understand why people hate him at all. Like shatner said up there, if you like a sport then you've surely got to ignore a person's "class"? I think it's been discussed on here before though, most people just can't stand the (admittedly annoying) "Henmania" bunch, and the media hype for them and Henman.

Regarding who is the best serve and volley player... I thought Hewitt was deemed far superior to Henman? That is a question, I don't know that much about tennis. I might have just misheard something.

The young Croatian who beat Ivanisevic in the Stella two weeks ago looked rather good at it, too...

Vermschneid Mehearties

No, Hewitt is admittedly a good serve and volleyer (more than he gives himself credit for as he does it so rarely), but the majority of his time is spent at the bassline wrongfooting his opponents and using aggressive changes of pace and skillful shots to dismantle opponents.

ColaCoca

I don't know quite why I find him so objectionable I think it's because:

a) He's an also-ran but we all have to 'get behind him'  because he's English and pretend he might actually win something one day.  It's pathetic.
b) Yes, the middle aged women from Surrey that call out 'Come on Tiger' in a non convincing way.
c) That clenched fist thing.  I wonder how often he practised that in the mirror.
d) However hard you try you can't avoid him this time of year.
e) He probably is as dull as I imagine him to be.
f)  Those washing powder commercials.

weekender

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"No, Hewitt is admittedly a good serve and volleyer (more than he gives himself credit for as he does it so rarely), but the majority of his time is spent at the bassline wrongfooting his opponents and using aggressive changes of pace and skillful shots to dismantle opponents.

I'd agree - and I think that these are skills which I don't think that Henman has got.

supporating tool

Well I live in SW19 - and hate the tennis with a passion- its all Merc driving knobs trying to park in my front garden, while making sure "the bit of slack" from the office (in the passenger seat) has the best sunlight to overdo the lippy

Timmay

I'd like to refer people to the point I made in the Rooney thread; the general CaB act of knocking and/or not acknowledging anyone British/English who's slightly good. We're always seeing it - "That Henman's a cunt, and is shit at tennis. Why doesn't he fuck off and die." ...and then... "For fucks sake, us English are shite at tennis - when is someone decent going to turn up?"

No one likes to praise or encourage around here - full of fucking doom-mongers y'miserable cunts. Along with the obvious hatred of showing any kind of patrioticity towards your country - so people have got some flags on their cars, so what? Oh, so it's not actually going to do any good for the team eh? I'm sure all the boys at in Portugal know about the car-flag madness that's happening at home. I bet they'd be a bit miffed if nothing was happening. In fact, fuck it... if you're that unpatriotic, don't bother supporting your national team. Support the team that's got the nicest kit, or the most likely to win (if you're a glory-hunting Man Utd fan)

Vermschneid Mehearties

QuoteI'd agree - and I think that these are skills which I don't think that Henman has got

Yeah, I'd agree with that. It's probably the reason why Henman has only excelled consistently on grass, where his game is the most successful in the conditions. Hewitt is just better than him generally however, and to win Wimbledon (Or Milton Keynes Dons) he'll need some high profile casualties to have a chance. A bit like England in EURO2004.

Mildly Diverting

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"I am an Ivanisevic fan, when he played Henman in that semi, I was cheering for Goran.

Me too. I was watching it in my local and was very close to being lynched. Sorry Tim, but Goran rocks.

Just out of interest, do any of the Henman haters on the board actually like tennis? If you have no interest in the game it would make your sweeping statements a little more understandable.

mwude

It's odd, but I'd never call myself a fan of an individual player in any sport.  Team sports I'd definitely call myself a fan of England & Tranmere (football), Dallas (Ice hockey, fuck knows why), Carolina Panthers (American football) and various other kabbadi and hurling teams.

However, with a lone player I admire their skill, but can't really get worked up about them winning or losing.  I like the Co Stompe's wobbly dart-throwing action.  I like Ronnie O'Sullivan's pace & grace around a snooker table.  I like Tiger Woods hitting a long iron to close to the pin.  I liked Colin Jackson when he was at his hurdling best.  But I wouldn't call myself a fan of any of them.  How can the emotion of seeing your team (whoever they may be) score a winning goal / try / point compare to seeing an individual winning something just for himself?

I guess my main problem with Henman is that I find tennis deathly dull to watch on tv.  The only entertainment to be had is when someone starts swearing or throwing their racquet / ball-boy into the crowd.  If Henman punched a kid every year I'd probably like him.  But even if he proves his 'flaky flake machine' tag wrong and actually wins he'll still be as beige as Michael Owen's post-match opinions.

Boris Livingstone

heh, good points there cocacolo, youre right, I can't stand that fucking jumped up aristcratic middle class tawt Henman. Did you see him play yestrday? god I hope he loses like the publics chool boy middle class boring fucker he is, and his parents too!! have you seen them too, the way they come along and watch there dahling son playing that drery middle class sport and cheering him on all ladida like they are. yeah, good points about thee way he punches the air when he's win a point. what the fucks that all about then? It's so fuckin booooring, i bet he practises in front of his fancy golden mirror like the middle class poshboy he is. And aparently he plays backgamon when its raining, I mean how fucking stupid and posh is that???!? God i hope he loses asap - and badly too!, and injures his stupid foot so we'll never have to see his stupid smirking face agan and hopefuly his nationalistic fans with there stupid flags.

and another thing, isnt it about time england produced a great tennis player, like boris or ivan lidl? Our Tims shit and nothing like as good as what they are.

!

Love tennis? Loathe it?

fukinhatethehorriblecunts fuck off fuck off fuck off

Ambient Sheep

What was this ballgirl incident?  Never heard of it until now.

Vermschneid Mehearties

After losing a point he twatted a ball in frustration, which ended up hitting a ballgirl and making her bleed and cry.*He was a wee nipper at the time (my age), and got taken out of Wimbledon for his action.

*Not neccessarily accurate.

Though weren't previous comments enough?

Gazeuse

He doesn't exercise me either way, except that he plays the most irritating game in the world.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "Peter Hammill"I hate tennis full stop, middle class kids with 6 slave children to run and get the ball for them, and no-one in the crowd is allowed to breath let alone speak.  When Zidane took the penatly against England did he rufuse to take the penatly until everyone in the stadium was silent, why can't tennis players concentrate when there's noise. Oh and the crowd, nearly everyone (but not all) wouldn't watch another tennis match for the whole year apart from wumbledon or SW19 as they now call it.
Your an idiot. 6 slave children? Oh yes, because they are forced into doing it at gunpoint and it's not like they voluteered. 'Middle Class Kids'? Fuck off. As someone said what about two of the best female players of recent times who come from an awful neighbourhood for crime and deprivation etc. And although you're blatantly wrong so what if it's a 'middle class' game? I bet you're middle class. Is there something wrong with the middle class? You fucking snob. Also, making noises puts the players off. So when people go to watch tennis most are quiet and respectful of the players, while you get a few idiots who shout crap at the very last minute. They are morons who disrupt the game and have no respect for the amount of effort the players put in. Football is a different sport surprisingly so certain things about it are different. One of those things is the amount of noise the crowd can make. Snooker eh? Can't make any noise while watching that, what a shit sport run by a bunch of lower class cunts. Grow up you moron. People get enthusiastic about a tennis tournement that comes once a year and then don't follow the rest of the season. What is wrong with that? Why do you care so much? Do you hate seeing other people enjoying themselves and getting involved in something? Or to enjoy Wimbledon do you have to memorise all the player's names and watch every tennis match played in every tournement in the world. Maybe one of the reasons so few people give a shit about the other tournements is that TV only ever shows Wimbledon and everyone always gets caught up with how 'Wimbledon is the best of them all, us Brits eh? aren't we brilliant.' Not one point in your post makes sense and you are just being all negative without a reason. Do you dislike pop songs on the basis of them being popular?

Bilko

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper went red in the face,"Why do you care so much?

Vermschneid Mehearties

Quote from: "Peter Hammill"
Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper went red in the face,"Why do you care so much?

A Passing Turk Slipper

Okay so instead of responding to any of the points I made in my post you quote a single line out of context and wrongly use the quote button. I do care when someone makes such a stupid fucking post, at what point did I say I didn't care? My question was about why you cared about people enjoying Wimbledon you complete idiot. Either read my post and respond sensibly or fuck off, just don't act like the wanker you are currently.

Bilko

Quote from: "Vermschneid Mehearties"
Quote from: "Peter Hammill"

Hehehehehehe, that should be 'You care because I don't'

A Passing Turk Slipper

Why are you laughing at my post when it clearly made a lot more sense than your 'Wimbledon is shit, if you like it you're a fascist' post? If anyone should be laughing at anything it's your ridiculous view of ball boys and girls as 'slaves' and the sport only appealing to the middle class when it blatantly doesn't.

elderford

Don't the ball children come from an especially underprivileged school or have to made orphans or something similar before being eligible?

5 Knuckle Shuffle

Quote from: "elderford"Don't the ball children come from an especially underprivileged school or have to made orphans or something similar before being eligible?

Well they are recruited from local schools around SW19, so yeah, I suppose they probably are underprivileged. :)

Mediocre Rich

No offence to Timmay but I put his unpopularity down to the fact his name is Tim and how stupid these people

Sound when screeching it.

glitch

Quote from: "Boris Livingstone"And aparently he plays backgamon when its raining, I mean how fucking stupid and posh is that???!?

Ignoring the rest of your moronic post, what the fuck is wrong with backgammon?

mwude

I'm surely not the only one who thought Boris Livingstone's post was a piss-take am I?  To me it looks exactly like a post written in the style of an idiot by someone who knows better - "aristcratic middle class tawt" & "God i hope he loses asap - and badly too!, " just strike me as the sort of thing someone would post in order to make people laugh, rather than be taken seriously.  

"isnt it about time england produced a great tennis player, like boris or ivan lidl?".  Come on: "ivan lidl"??  There's no way that Boris (Livingstone, not Becker) is wanting to be taken seriously at all.  And if he is then I'm being a right patronising cunt, but if he's as daft & thick as he appears to be, then call me a patronising cunt.

butnut

Quote from: "5 Knuckle Shuffle"
Quote from: "elderford"Don't the ball children come from an especially underprivileged school or have to made orphans or something similar before being eligible?

Well they are recruited from local schools around SW19, so yeah, I suppose they probably are underprivileged. :)

Well, SW19  does include Merton, I think, which is a pretty shitty area. It certainly was last time I went there. But, to be fair, it also does include a load of very posh schools too.

untitled_london

best serve and volley player....

yeah..probably - no-one else plays like that anymore

he has poor stamina, poor strength & a decidely weak serve and finish (by compairson of course)

he lacks in the 'killer punch' thats why sampras & all the rest always make mincemeat out of him.

if everybody else dropped out of the tournament, i'd say he'd still fail in the quarters :P

as for the underlying cause, yeah, pubic courts not posh  spa clubs - unless of course we are aiming to compete in the world sauna competetions. (there is one btw - and the competiton is quite stiff)

as for picking on school-girls - that pretty much sums him up in my books - another loser turned bully.

Boris Livingstone

""xerode"]
Quote from: "Boris Livingstone"And aparently he plays backgamon when its raining, I mean how fucking stupid and posh is that???!?

Ignoring the rest of your moronic post, what the fuck is wrong with backgammon?

i'll tell you whats wrong with backgammon, you only need to role couple of doubel 6s and youve won the game!! well pisses me off when my opponent does that. no skill just luck.