Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:14:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Coronation Street (fresh thread)

Started by Sam, June 18, 2012, 12:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morrison Lard

I completely agree that Tim storyline was absolutely dreadfully executed.

Quote from: Janie Jones on September 30, 2014, 09:22:22 AM
Andrea
The woman that plays her makes me feel ill. She haunts my dreams.

Quote from: Janie Jones on September 30, 2014, 09:22:22 AM
Les Dennis is pretty good, don't you think?
He's certainly not in the worst half of the current crop.

Her who plays Deirdre is taking a couple of months off apparently,
perhaps she just realised how annoying Billy Roache actually is, after a pleasant break without him druiding the place up.

Cilla comes back soon, remember her? :( Urgh.
I thought Beth was a ready-made replacement, why do we need 2 of em now? Why?!

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 30, 2014, 12:40:09 PM
I'm literally hanging on by a gossamer thread with this show now.
You and me both :(

doppelkorn

A mate tweeted this last night:

QuoteFirst time watched Corrie in ages, it has turned into Acorn Antiques , Jesus that gym !!

Is that right? What's up with the gime[nb]gym[/nb]?

Gulftastic

It's tiny, and it's main purpose at the moment is for two of the middle age female residents to lust over Dev.

Sadly for Corrie, it's utter shit at the moment. Last Friday's rooftop bollocks was some of the poorest stuff I've seen in ages.

It's all so rushed at the moment. Kylie has become an addicted pill head in about a week. They've decided to do a 'Tim can't read' plot, despite him using the internet and other things requiring said skill in the past. To show this, all of a sudden yesterday he couldn't read a note from Sally and had to back out of a game of Boggle.

And to make matters worse, due to pregnancies in real life, they are going to lose gorgeous be-titted Eva and fit as fook Kyle. They've also decided they no longer need the gorgeous Katy, and she's going. Diedre, one of the real stars of the show is going on 'an extended break' for a few months, which is a hammer blow to the show.

They are going to introduce five hunky blokes at the same time, for one reason or another. We saw how well that works with Hollyoaks and the disastrous Roscoe family.

Morrison Lard

Kylie's back in her old boozer, and it's worse than an already-terrible-episode of Shameless.

Gulftastic

Returning character:

Spoiler alert
Jenny Bradley will be coming back, it seems. I hope she's still tasty. Sadly, there will be no Dirty Den style return for her Tram dodging Dad.[/url]
[close]

Brundle-Fly

RIGHT! That's it! Over! Finito! Series link deleted.

Watched this show man and boy since the seventies, but this week with much sadness I'm saying goodbye to the Street. It veered into pantomime now and again over the years but now it's just a children's show. Hollyoaks is like Ibsen in comparison. There's still some great acting and characterisation but I miss the likes of Fred Elliot and Ashley, Betty, Alec Gilroy and Bet, Derek and Mavis, Jack and Vera, Blanche!
I miss the witty one liners, those heartbreaking moments, the story lines that didn't have to be sensational or issue led. They can still do it. The Tyrone domestic abuse story was gripping, Hayley's passing and Lewis stitching up Gail.

'Appen, I might tune in to see an old character leave/die but I've finally thrown in the bar towel

Ta ra, chuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOmHTgqa9dA

Spiteface

Quote from: doppelkorn on September 30, 2014, 12:46:33 PM
A mate tweeted this last night:

Is that right? What's up with the gime[nb]gym[/nb]?

poo

I really would like to push the boundaries of bum play with Kylie.

doppelkorn

Am I mad? Series link re-established after a 2 year absence. I just feel a strong sense that I should be watching this.

Mrs. dopp's not happy about it. She worries about the capacity of our Hitachi recording jobbie[nb]And our relationship[/nb] to handle so much cobbling.

Custard

Steve McDonald is universally loved for being genuinely likeable and funny, so let's make him a sour-faced depressive. Good work

The Carla-Peter-Tracey murder storyline is beyond tedious at this point. Glad it appears to be finally over, with Peter fucking off. Though Tracey said she's gonna "get" Carla or something the last episode I saw, so maybe we're in for another 6 months

They need a good clear out of deadwood, I think. Kirk's lady love and her son, Fizz's mum (most unlikeable soap character ever? Unwatchably annoying), Emily (Richard Hillman had the right idea), Rita, Rita's bloke, Kevin (fuck off), Dev's extended family, the ginger builder who has zero charisma or point, anyone got any more?

Gulftastic

I too despise Fizz's Mum a great deal, and her return has been painful to watch, but it's meant Fizz buggers off for a few months, so I'll accept it.

The little twat son of Kal who used to in Shamelss is useless too. He has the range of tin of white paint.

Vodka Margarine

Steve, Eileen, Norris, Dev, Roy, Anna and (yes!) David Platt are the only characters I either sympathise with or enjoy watching these days.

Keep the oldies in, we take them for granted and we'll miss them when they pop off. They're the best link we now have to those end-of-the-pier 'glory' days. Having said that, I'm already bloody sick of renaissance Ken, who is now more utterly redundant as a character than ever - a carping bouffant lizard in a beige jacket who just sits around doing sod all. They can hardly boot out Roache now though, can they?

Spiteface

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on November 18, 2014, 05:31:09 PM
Steve, Elaine, Norris, Dev, Roy, Anna and (yes!) David Platt are the only characters I either sympathise with or enjoy watching these days.

Keep the oldies in, we take them for granted and we'll miss them when they pop off. They're the best link we now have to those end-of-the-pier 'glory' days. Having said that, I'm already bloody sick of renaissance Ken, who is now more utterly redundant as a character than ever - a carping bouffant lizard in a beige jacket who just sits around doing sod all. They can hardly boot out Roache now though, can they?

Safest job in showbiz.

Custard

Aye, same as Kevin Webster

Jobs for at least the next couple years

Gulftastic

Kev's worth keeping for the times we get to see him angry.

The Nazir family are terrible. The Mother in particular is shocking.

MuteBanana

Bumping this and EastEnders as it's Christmas and everyone will be watching.

Christmas Corrie has just started. Kym Marsh sounds like a total mare to deal with but she is very foxy. Christmas Fox. The Festive Fox!

MuteBanana

This Asian family are dreadful. A comedy storyline to make people like them won't fool me.

MuteBanana

David Platt is brilliant. It's just him and Steve McDonald holding this show together.

Gulftastic

Not quite. Roy & Carla are wonderful together, as befits the two best actors in the show, and I love the bromance between Kevin and Tim.

Janie Jones

Quote from: MuteBanana on December 25, 2014, 08:07:16 PM
This Asian family are dreadful. A comedy storyline to make people like them won't fool me.
The casting is terrible. The matriarch appears to be about 20 years older than her husband, who looks about 5 years older than his son (Kal). The acting is toe curling. Maybe the surly lad has potential but the rest of them are unwatchable. Although that girl has great hair.

Les Dennis's son or whatever he is, is well insipid. Obviously while Gary Windass lives and breathes he is safe from being the worst actor in Corrie but he's pretty bad.

One might expect Bev Callard, who plays Liz McDonald and who has struggled with mental illness in her real life, to be able to engage with the torment of her on-screen son Steve but alas her face is so immobilised, all she can do is widen her eyes to express any emotion whatsoever.

Trying to think of something positive, I like the lad who works in the garage, an uncomplicated nice character who has no hidden unpleasantness and a good actor. And Davis Platt continues to be brilliant, probably my only remaining reason for tuning in, apart from the fun of watching the ingenious camera angles and swinging coats worn indoors to disguise the burgeoning real-life pregnancies of half the female cast.

Brundle-Fly

I have still not watched this since October. It feels I haven't missed much from the little I've heard. Has Rita's stepdaughter rocked up yet?

Gulftastic

No. The main thing at the moment is Steve McDonald's depression. Simon Gregson is playing a blinder. Sadly, most episodes are annoying as they seem to contain him being depressed and his fish-wife of a mother shouting at him.

They also need to start doing proper research. Des Lennis was evicted from his bedsit in one day because his wages were not in his bank account. Utter bollocks.

Gulftastic

Trouble on t'Cobbles

New lass playing Sarah Lou's 'wild child' 14 year old was said to be 19 by the Corrie press office. Turns out she's nearly 26.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/01/19/coronation-street-katie-redford-bethany-age_n_6498754.html

MuteBanana

It had been said she was going to return despite taking time off for being unwell. So this sounds unexpected.

It is a shock. I know she's had time off before but she wasn't even that old.

Soap legend. A sad day.

Pseudopath

Ah bollocks. I know there were rumours over the past couple of days that she was considering quitting the role, but I don't think anyone realised she was so ill. Sad news indeed :-(

Brundle-Fly

MuteBanana

The guy who plays Dev said that under her glasses she was gorgeous and could pass for an older Sharon Stone.

Uncle TechTip

She was a bit of an unlikely sex symbol back in the 80s. Such a stronger character back then too what I've seen them have her do more recently, ie roll her eyes at Tracy's latest piece of rudeness. Goodbye Anne.