Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:00:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Coronation Street (fresh thread)

Started by Sam, June 18, 2012, 12:34:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vodka Margarine

I have a great memory of 1980s Deirdre confronting Ken over his latest affair and furiously deriding his bit on the side as 'Miss Piggeh' in that haughty, formidable growl of hers.

Bloody devastating this is. It's like a double loss. R.I.P. Anne and R.I.P. Deirdre.

Gulftastic

Following her sad passing, someone has finally uploaded a clip I've searched years for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFcORT9xr6o

RIP Anne.

Don_Preston

Quote from: Gulftastic on January 24, 2015, 08:38:10 PM
Following her sad passing, someone has finally uploaded a clip I've searched years for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFcORT9xr6o

RIP Anne.

Now all we need is the notorious Mitchell Brothers Gutbuster dumb play with the pixie music soundtrack!

Janie Jones

Christ's shitted tits. That was comfortably one of the worst bits of TV soap I've ever seen,[nb]tonights 9pm fire episode[/nb] and I speak as someone who grew up watching Crossroads. I know I've said several times, probably in this very thread, that I'm quitting Corrie after 4 decades of loyalty but this time I mean it. That's it. To quote someone else in this thread, I've been hanging on a thread for months and that thread was Jack P Shepherd (David Ratboy Platt) but tonight it just wasn't strong enough to withstand the demeaning realisation that I've invested all those loyal years in a programme that is now utter unrelenting shite. I'm embarrassed, a bit sad and slightly relieved.
edited for typo & tautology

Gulftastic

The show is right in the toilet at the moment. The fault of exec-producer Stuart Blackburn. He did a good job at ruining Emmerdale a couple of years ago, and his work on Corrie shows he's not lost his touch.

Mijkediablo

Yeah, that was pretty weak. The highlight for me was watching Maddeh's bum wobble when Jenny pushed her over. The kid playing Amy outacted most of the adult performers.

In interviews, Blackburn seems to have a really overinflated sense of self-importance, which would be fine if he could back it up, but the storylines, plotting, pacing, acting, writing and internal logic are a joke. Compare this week's episodes to the tram crash five years ago. Corrie wasn't exactly shit-hot back then, but that week of episodes was superb. This week- just meh.

Thomas

Quote from: Mijkediablo on May 28, 2015, 10:44:01 PM
Compare this week's episodes to the tram crash five years ago.

Five years? Man. Life is passing us by.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Thomas on May 28, 2015, 11:59:29 PM
Five years? Man. Life is passing us by.

That live episode of Eastenders where Bradley had a fall and consequently stopped living was five years ago as well. It's not right. Someone built the universe wrong.

buttgammon

Yeah, I've given up on it now (although I occasionally have to endure an episode when I'm at home). Compare it to the more consistent Eastenders and the often bizarre Emmerdale and you have something that's just too bland to bother with any more.

finnquark

Tonight's double episode was absurd. The first twenty minutes was like a Frasier episode, with Gail/Gavin trying to prevent Les finding a package. Then Les found out about the deception, and we had 40 minutes of him bashing out his tedious, angry lines. Chuck in the death of Maddie, Dev returning to his harem and some ruminating over Liz's betrayal, and it was thrill a minute. Except for the fact that the dialogue was poor, the tone all over the shop and some of the acting (I am looking at you Les) utterly dreadful.

MuteBanana

Get on Hollyoaks you fools.

Fuck this. I might start a thread.

Gulftastic

Quote from: MuteBanana on June 02, 2015, 01:09:22 AM
Get on Hollyoaks you fools.

Fuck this. I might start a thread.

Hollyoaks cannot be watched live due to the presence of the show killing Roscoe clowns. Certain bits have to be ff'd. I'm also not keen on the new McQueen women.

Since they binned off the hot redhead lass (Tilly), my affections have switched to Nurse Kim. She's as cute as she is barmy.

Custard

Tony's face turn gathered pace tonight when he beat up the Street's current tinpot "hardman" Callum

The whole storyline has just been nasty rubbish, but I did find it quite enjoyable watching Callum Highhead nearly crying as Tone unleashed the beast

In other news, Lloyd shagged Liz, for some reason. He fell out with his anteater girlfriend cos she sold his records, so off up Liz he went

MuteBanana

Camp Callum is a joke.

I can't believe someone like Jason or Nick hasn't beaten him up already. He was quivering after being roughed up by Tony.

ollyboro

"Ah, Goldilocks, a traditional fairy tale of dubious morality.....Goldilocks, although charming, is essentially a burglar." -The great Roy Cropper fulfills his bedtime story reading duties.

Uncle TechTip

Why does no-one lift their arms to protect themselves against a fall in soapland?

For about a year now I've occasionally tuned into Corrie and it's been absolute rubbish every single time. The viewing figures look to be in freefall and I expect a massive shake up soon. Fans of numbers can look at the Corrie wikia site where they have pretty much every rating for every episode ever and whilst it slowly shed half its viewers over the last decade the drop in the last year or two is dramatic, with none of the big storylines generating even a small increase.

Brundle-Fly

I'm nearly up to a full year being off the 'Corrie' and I have to say I feel a better man.

I sometimes enjoy a glimpse at archived clips on YouTube, like a recovering alcoholic sniffing an empty vintage wine bottle with a knowing smile.

Clumsy Coronation Street/ Mike Baldwin's demise axis analogy below. Joking aside, Johnny Briggs pulled a blinder with his performances here.

"It was a long time ago"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AinD_j-82l0

Gulftastic

David Nielson is once again showing that he is the finest actor in British soap. His work is so subtle. He's able to convey great emotion with the smallest of facial expressions.

Mijkediablo

Executive Producer Stuart Blackburn has left the show, to be replaced by Kate Oates (present Emmerdale producer and stone-cold hottie). This is good news for the show. Blackburn hasn't been as bad as the weirdoes on DigitalSpy have made out (they HATE him), but Oates has done a great job on Emmerdale and should turn Corrie's fortunes around. Her work won't air until early next year.

Gulftastic

I'm just hoping that next week's live episode finally means we never again after hear a member of the Platt family saying 'Well, we don't have to worry about Callum anymore.' only to have the camp twat come strolling in with another daft reason why he has wriggled out of it.

And as a mild Digital Spy weirdo (the Corrie mob have nowt on the EE gang, trust me), Blackburn has earned the dislike. He did an awful job at Emmerdale, he's done similar at Corrie.

Mijkediablo

Quote from: Gulftastic on September 18, 2015, 04:48:28 PM
I'm just hoping that next week's live episode finally means we never again after hear a member of the Platt family saying 'Well, we don't have to worry about Callum anymore.' only to have the camp twat come strolling in with another daft reason why he has wriggled out of it.

And as a mild Digital Spy weirdo (the Corrie mob have nowt on the EE gang, trust me), Blackburn has earned the dislike. He did an awful job at Emmerdale, he's done similar at Corrie.

I read the soaps forum over there quite regularly and have seen how overly partisan it can be in the 'battle' between Eastenders and Corrie. I love Easties unashamedly, even continued watching it when Lorraine Newman was in charge, but even I am slightly ashamed reading the rants from Eastenders diehards. I want Coronation Street to be gripping and exciting- that doesn't diminish from Eastenders, which has been on fire since Treadwell Collins took over; if anything a strong Coronation Street and a concurrently strong Eastenders would be great for both soaps.

Corrie's been poor for a few years now, but the likes of David Neilson and Alison King make it watchable. This year has seen a few interesting storylines, and I quite like Callum although his gang (one girl in a trackie these days) can fuck right off. That said, most of Blackburn's output has been dire, whereas Kate Oates' work on Emmerdale has been fantastic. This time next year Corrie could be shit-hot, I have faith in Oates.

Morrison Lard

Quote from: Mijkediablo on September 18, 2015, 12:10:35 PM
Kate Oates (present Emmerdale producer and stone-cold hottie)
I used to kick about with her about 15 year ago. She's one of the nicest people ever.
She was Germaine Greer's PA at the time when some loopy bint "held her hostage".
Told me some great showbiz tales, which I am oath-bound to not repeat. Ever.

Anyhoooo, there's a live episode of this on tomorrow apparently, it'll be shit wont it?

Mijkediablo

Well, the live episode wasn't as bad as I'd worried, but it should've been a lot better. No problems with the script or direction, and the standard of acting was good, but the outcome was predictable. I think everyone guessed
Spoiler alert
Callum would die, and where his body would end up, but I'd half-expected Max or Bethany to be the one to do the deed.
[close]
It does worry me slightly that
Spoiler alert
Kylie killed him
[close]
because soap
Spoiler alert
murderers
[close]
don't tend to stick around for too long.

The scenes with Roy and his lady friend were lovely, beautifully acted, and she[nb]Can't remember her name for the life of me, sorry- Cath?[/nb] surprised me- until this episode I'd found her to be a weak actor playing a dull character. The scenes in the pub were alright too, a nice contrast in atmosphere with the tension at the Platt's place. They did quite a good job of dealing with Steve's absence too.

I hope they don't do the predictable thing now and stick Tim and Anna together, leaving Sally and Kevin free to reunite. Also, the
Spoiler alert
murder
[close]
cover-up has the potential to be a source of drama and tension for years to come, I hope they don't waste it with a premature Christmas reveal.

Custard

A fond and firm welcome back to Eva's knockers in the gym

#MonocleShatter

Spiteface

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 01, 2015, 02:00:38 PM
A fond and firm welcome back to Eva's knockers in the gym

#MonocleShatter

pics/gifs or GTFO

Custard

Caught it at work mate, ITV2

Yesterday's episode, if you care enough to check it out online

AND YOU SHOULD

Spiteface

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 01, 2015, 03:25:57 PM
Caught it at work mate, ITV2

Yesterday's episode, if you care enough to check it out online

AND YOU SHOULD

Done just that. One of the best 18 seconds on youtube in a while. For future reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDwtAwbZjnw

Custard

Don_Preston

Quote from: Spiteface on October 01, 2015, 08:33:28 PM
Done just that. One of the best 18 seconds on youtube in a while. For future reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDwtAwbZjnw

Haven't had a tug as furious as that since Renee Bradshaw was in control of a gear-stick.

Emma Raducanu

ITV 3 have been showing episodes from the 1980s recently. I hope they continue to. When I'm off, I've been thoroughly enjoying a nice cup of tea and mince pie while watching it. Every single character in it is a corrie 'legend'. The quality of characters and dialogue absolutely wipes the floor with today's offering. There's so much warmth and charm that totally eludes the programme now.

I've recently found myself watching coronation street every now and then after a long hiatus and it's all drama drama drama, explosions and death. I used to enjoy watching Jack Duckworth talk to his pigeons in the back yard.