Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:34:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

LONDON MEET 28th August - The Anchor, Park Street, Bank Side, near London Bridge 2 PM!!!

Started by butnut, June 26, 2004, 05:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which day can you NOT do? If you have 2 or more, post in this thread, you annoying-type person!

I'm as easy as Sunday Morning and can go to all the dates
13 (36.1%)
I CAN'T go on the 7th of August
5 (13.9%)
I CAN'T go on the 14th of August
4 (11.1%)
I CAN'T go on the 21st of August
6 (16.7%)
I CAN'T go on the 28th of August
8 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: June 30, 2004, 12:05:22 PM

butnut

Right - it seems we have a venue. Here's a map showing where it is. Nearest Tubes are either Mansion House, Southwark or London Bridge, or you can get an overground to London Bridge as well.

Here's what the good pub guide has to say:

http://goodguides.co.uk/pubs/pubdetails.asp?pub_id=-664381670

QuoteThe wooden tables on the busy terrace of this old riverside pub offer unrivalled views of the Thames and the City. It's ideally placed for visits to the Tate Modern and the Globe theatre, and happily an almost total refurbishment last year hasn't overly affected the pub's character or appeal. The current building dates back to about 1750, when it was built to replace an earlier tavern, possibly the one that Pepys came to during the Great Fire of 1666. 'All over the Thames with one's face in the wind, you were almost burned with a shower of fire drops,' he wrote. 'When we could endure no more upon the water, we to a little ale-house on the Bankside and there staid till it was dark almost, and saw the fire grow.' It's a warren of dimly lit, creaky little rooms and passageways, with bare boards and beams, black panelling, old-fashioned high-backed settles, and sturdy leatherette chairs; even when it's invaded by tourists it's usually possible to retreat to one of the smaller rooms. Courage Best and Directors on handpump, as well as a dozen wines by the glass, jugs of Pimms, mulled wine in winter, and various teas and coffees; two fruit machines, and occasionally rather loud piped music. Served all day, bar food includes filled baguettes (from £4), and in the upstairs bar hot dishes such as fish and chips, home-baked pies and sausages and mash (£5.50); they do Sunday roasts. Parts of the bar and restaurant are no smoking (other areas can get smoky at times). Morris dancers occasionally pass by, and there are barbecues in summer. We have not yet heard from any readers staying in the new bedrooms, in a Premier Lodge behind.

So come and join us, if we can sort out a time, that is.

Frinky

Frinky

Although... later is better. A weekend would be good, too, but I could push a weekday, perhaps.

Lady Beany

Cuh, I bet you boys discussed this whilst I was out of the room last night eh?  Men.

Well, I would be up for it.  But, I always worry about being the only lass there. Do I have to touch anyone?

Ahh, I'll come along. Its beer innit?

Frinky

Only me, and lots, and let me film it, and stop mentioning my shoulders.

Lady Beany

Sam

I've always fancied going to a meet. However, I fear I may not we well known enough to be accepted.

I'm stuck in Cornwall over the Summer, but if there's a London meet in the Autumn I will surely go, as it is only a short train ride away from Norwich.

Frinky

Sam

Quote from: "Frinky"Sam - it would be ace to have you with us!

Why, thank you. I will almost certainly go to the next meet that is economically viable.

Lady Beany

I have no idea why I just imagined you saying that with a pipe in your mouth, and stoking a fire.

Sam

Quite! I did indeed vacillate over replying with that phrasing for its stuffy awkwardness (though, alas, I fear I have fared even worse in this reply).

Dr David V

As I said in the nothing of note thread, I'd love to go to a meet, but I'm not sure if I physically could. Don't count me in just yet, but maybe, just maybe... Later the better really, preferably August. Not on V2004 weekend though, of course.

glitch

I'd be interested. Hope my low post count doesn't automatically qualify me as Random Desperate No-Mates though ;)

Lady Beany

Hang on, your post count is higher than mine... and I expect to be treated like fucking royalty when I turn up.

(That means I will be spat at.)

Frinky

Lady Beany

Frinky

Frinky

I went guitar shopping before the meet, to kill time, cos I was nervous.

Regular John

I'm up for it, I keep meaning to go down to the Tate Modern and other such arts places, if I can follow it up with beers with people from off the internet then it will make my day somewhat more complete.

JJJJH

Maybe, just maybe. I'll wait 'til a date's finalised before I makes my mind up.

Marty McFly

i'd like to go, but i think i'd feel a bit out of place. i don't really post here much, though i did post a bit more on the old forum.

butnut

For Sam and all the other meet newbies - don't be scared! I was a bit freaked out before I went to my first meet, but once you're there and you realise that most of the other people are pretty sane, it's a great experience.

Lt Plonker

hoverdonkey

Yeah, why not. I'll be there. Haven't had time to hang out here much lately but it all sounds fun

Incredible Monkey Doctor

If you can manage to pick a date when I can actually go, which out of spite i'm sure you bastards haven't for the last few meets, then i'll come. However that'll be a bleeding miracle as i'm one busy man this summer...

Dr David V

These are all the weekend dates in July and August, let's see if this helps.

July
Saturday 3rd/Sunday 4th - 10/11 - 17/18 - 24/25 - 31

August
1 - 7/8 - 14/15 - 21/22 - 28/29

Theoretically I could do any of those apart from 22nd August, but I'd preferably go for late July/early August.  But I'm only a maybe anyway, so feel free to completely ignore me. Hope that helps.

butnut

Best times for me:

3/4th July.

31st July/ 1st August and after would be fine.

Frinky