Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:53:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

US Congressman makes bizarre, stupid claim

Started by Mark Steels Stockbroker, August 19, 2012, 09:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

easytarget

I wonder if it was a Republican?
<click>
Yup.

"If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let's assume maybe that didn't work or something. I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist."

Women's bodies are a series of tubes.

ziggy starbucks

women who are being raped can shoot a deadly heat ray out their genitalia, instantly incinerating the attacker. You have to ask the question why a woman who claims to have been raped didn't employ their deadly heat ray weapon.

Men being raped can contract a ring of small metal circular saws that surround the inside of the anal sphincter, slicing off the intruding penis. You have to ask the question why a man who claims to have been raped didn't employ their metallic anal ring.

A doctor told me all this.

Vote Republican

rudi

Women often claim they've been raped to get abortions, cheap travel and expensive brands of hair dye.

Vote Republican.

gabrielconroy

It has been proven in studies that women very often rape themselves in order to have an abortion purely to further the liberal communist agenda.

Vote Republican.

George Oscar Bluth II

Bitches aint shit but hos and tricks, lick on the balls and suck the dick.

Vote Republican

Still Not George

Quote from: easytarget on August 19, 2012, 09:30:39 PMWomen's bodies are a series of tubes.

Actually, Ted Stevens was a self-identified pro-choice Republican. Funny old world, eh?

Big Jack McBastard

Quote from: easytarget on August 19, 2012, 09:30:39 PM
"If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

I'll wager his wife uses this method whenever he gets a rapey look in his eye.

easytarget

Quote from: Still Not George on August 19, 2012, 11:58:06 PM
Actually, Ted Stevens was a self-identified pro-choice Republican. Funny old world, eh?

Very hypocritical position considering how frothing-at-the-mouth anti-lady that party is.
Still, moot now, the corrupt[nb]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Stevens#Convictions_voided_and_indictment_dismissed[/nb], dead[nb]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Stevens#Death_and_legacy[/nb], bastard [nb]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_(United_States)[/nb]

Still Not George

Quote from: easytarget on August 21, 2012, 12:17:59 AMVery hypocritical position considering how frothing-at-the-mouth anti-lady that party is.
The way I look at it, the US was better off with a milquetoast useless not-quite-pro-lifer like Stevens than with, well, the current crop of shitheads. With Ron "Honest Rape" Paul and now this Akin prick as examples.

Quotehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Stevens#Convictions_voided_and_indictment_dismissed
... I think you wanted the paragraph before that one - that's all about the prosecution being so shit that Stevens got away with it.

easytarget

Yes, well I'm pretty careless.

I'm wondering if the responses on this thread are actually more appropriate than the reason and anger I've seen on Facebook and Twitter. If someone says something this dumb and offensive then I don't think you should even dignify them with a properly thought-out response, just shit back in their face (as it were).

It would be nice if when you typed the name of any Republican-fuckstick or Fox-talking-head into Google you got something like this:

Noodle Lizard

Well, it's not rapity rape rape, it's rippoty roppoty rape.

KLG-7A

Cerys

... apart from the ones we've buried in the cellar.

Serge

That compass of integrity, Piers Morgan, has waded in, calling Akin a 'gutless little twerp' for pulling out of an appearance on his show. When Morgan can claim some sort of moral high ground over you, you truly are fucked.

Lee Van Cleef

Akin's Twitter:

QuoteTodd Akin ‏@ToddAkin
We have raised our online fundraising goal. Help us hit $10k to fight the liberal elite

1h Todd Akin ‏@ToddAkin
Donations are pouring in. Thank you for standing up against the liberal elite

2h Todd Akin ‏@ToddAkin
RT this if you won't let the liberal elite push you around!

2h Todd Akin ‏@ToddAkin
A lot of negativity has been driven my way by the liberal elite. Makes me even more thankful for your support #stillstanding

2h Todd Akin ‏@ToddAkin
We can't be intimidated by the liberal elite. I will continue standing for life. Will you? https://www.akin.org/contribute/

3h Todd Akin ‏@ToddAkin
I am #stillstanding. Will you stand with me? https://www.akin.org/contribute/

6h Todd Akin ‏@ToddAkin
I apologized but the liberal media is trying to make me drop out. Please stand w/ me tonight by signing my petition at http://www.akin.org/still-standing

Has Ryan said anything about all this?  I mean it all looks a bit too well timed to me.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

10K won't fight a monster as massive as the liberal elite!

mook

who the fuck donates money to these idiots? is it one massively deluded berk splashing out the 10k, or thousands of them just emptying the dregs from their paypal accounts for a giggle? whoever it is they need to stop it.

George Oscar Bluth II

I signed his petition under the name "Anal Fisting".

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Okay, so George Galloway's comments on the matter were typically tactless and idiotic.

However, since this all blew up, I can barely breathe for the amount of utterly unraped female commenters claiming to possess insight on the dynamics of rape (And some regrettably who can tell a first hand account), and closing down debates on the basis that men would never understand. The argument seems to be that it isn't a male domain for debate and foolish to enter it.

Well, maybe most of us, the majority of women included wouldn't understand, but I don't believe that makes people unqualified to be in the debate- to ask questions and find answers, and even use the information to make salient points. Most people have empathy enough to speak about the subject in a way everyone, even victims of rape could find potentially helpful. Rape counsellors don't all have 'woz raped' on their CV.

I've been moved to write this as I've sensed an unhealthy possessiveness from the various articles and blogs and comments I've read on the subject, mainly by women. I can understand wanting to claim the subject much as any other victimised group tends to, but it reduces the potential for open and constructive discussion. Akin probably isn't interested in that, given he was arrogant enough to come out with that bullshit in public, Galloway is the typical example of jaw-flapping without thinking things through- he seems convinced that every sound he makes is likely to be the correct one. But in Galloway's case, he seemed to have his heart in the right place, and just messed it up through his own ego and old-fashioned take on things. It seems unfair, even to a dickhead like him that the response was to set out to annihilate him rather than engage in something more constructive.

The underlying shame of rape and the resulting taboo against talking about the subject demonstrably creates areas of ignorance and prejudice which can foster into misogyny and violence against women, so there is a cyclical process that needs to be breached. It certainly won't happen by intellectual domineering and unhealthily dividing between men and women. I mean this has been a week where a 14 year old boy was raped by a man in the Arndale Centre.[nb]not a euphemism for the rectum[/nb]

I almost feel like telling myself to fuck off by bringing this up.

Jollity

The issue hurts people, and it hurts some people very seriously. It's no wonder people can't "just be reasonable" when they're feeling upset and angry, or when they're suffering from having their PTSD triggered, or when they think of the other people they know who this has happened to. It might not be very nice, and I'm sure you don't mean any harm, but people need space to have their emotions here, especially if they have personal connections to the issue, which a good deal of women do. And men too, of course, but the argument this week has pretty much entirely been centred around heterosexual women, and whether certain experiences with men would be rape or not, which is why women have been claiming it, I expect.

I would welcome an environment where men could talk kindly and respectfully about their own experiences with sexual assault (so many male victims might be reluctant to tell of their own abuse for whatever reasons), but it's an incredibly delicate process, and if a chap comes into an environment full of angry and frightened people, some of whom will have been abused, others who will be close to someone who has, and starts loudly proclaiming his opinion on What Is Rape and whether someone in X situation has any right to be complaining, he might get a group of people telling him to stfu in severe terms. Not trying to paint you as an oaf or anything like that, just saying that where emotions are concerned, one's behaviour can seem more threatening and unreasonable from another perspective. It's important to remember that there are other perspectives (in all contexts)

For the record, I am a woman, and I have not been raped. Therefore, I don't think it's my place to pontificate on the subject - I think the people with a closer knowledge of it should go first, and people in my situation should listen and try to understand. It is, of course, difficult to tell exactly what experience someone has of sexual abuse unless they tell you and you listen to them. This goes for other forms of abuse, injustice etc.

Anyway, it's quarter past three and I need to go to bed and stop faffing about.

hpmons

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 23, 2012, 11:57:44 PM
However, since this all blew up, I can barely breathe for the amount of utterly unraped female commenters claiming to possess insight on the dynamics of rape (And some regrettably who can tell a first hand account), and closing down debates on the basis that men would never understand. The argument seems to be that it isn't a male domain for debate and foolish to enter it.
I understand the frustration, and I do think men may have points to make.  Like Jollity says, its a delicate situation and a lot of people may come across as either defining exactly what rape should be, or else saying "Yo, I'm a man.  Rape is bad! Its terrible what so many ladies have to suffer!" which...doesn't add anything to a discussion and is just a bit meaningless.
Also, you do not know whether commentators have been raped or not, unless they specifically say so, so its unfair to say "utterly unraped". 

Well, maybe most of us, the majority of women included wouldn't understand, but I don't believe that makes people unqualified to be in the debate- to ask questions and find answers, and even use the information to make salient points. Most people have empathy enough to speak about the subject in a way everyone, even victims of rape could find potentially helpful. Rape counsellors don't all have 'woz raped' on their CV.
I agree somewhat, but its a subject women tend to tackle because there is a frustrating amount of ignorance around.  Just look at the comments section of a lot of the articles.  While I kinda agree that the majority of women wouldn't exactly understand, they have still grown up in the same "Don't walk home late at night / Don't wear short skirts" environment, and even if they haven't been raped they may have come close.  I've never been raped, I've probably had the least experience of any sexual harassment of anyone I know,  but I've still had my breast touched and had someone in their car drive alongside me and ask me to get in.
Of course plenty of people have enough empathy to help with victims, but the Internet tends to be a vicious place and you can never quite know what comment there will be next.

I've been moved to write this as I've sensed an unhealthy possessiveness from the various articles and blogs and comments I've read on the subject, mainly by women. I can understand wanting to claim the subject much as any other victimised group tends to, but it reduces the potential for open and constructive discussion. Akin probably isn't interested in that, given he was arrogant enough to come out with that bullshit in public, Galloway is the typical example of jaw-flapping without thinking things through- he seems convinced that every sound he makes is likely to be the correct one. But in Galloway's case, he seemed to have his heart in the right place, and just messed it up through his own ego and old-fashioned take on things. It seems unfair, even to a dickhead like him that the response was to set out to annihilate him rather than engage in something more constructive.
Sure, a lot of places have just blasted him, but a lot of commentators have explained why his comments are wrong.  If people aren't called out on their bullshit, then the status quo continues.
Also personally, I wouldn't contribute to a large racism discussion because, really, what could I have thats of worth to say that hundreds of people from ethnic minorities haven't said already?  Essentially I'd feel like I'd just be saying "I'm a white person, and I think racism is bad".

The underlying shame of rape and the resulting taboo against talking about the subject demonstrably creates areas of ignorance and prejudice which can foster into misogyny and violence against women, so there is a cyclical process that needs to be breached. It certainly won't happen by intellectual domineering and unhealthily dividing between men and women.
I think part of the problem is that, as some people see it, men get to speak authoritatively on so many different subjects, that this is one of the few areas where women feel free to take a hold. 

Thursday

George Galloway's comments were terrible, but they reminded me of Ken Clarke's (I think it was him, not good with some of these names) comments about "less serious rapes" that got people furious. He was just trying to talk about how some forms of rape carry more severe sentences, not that some kinds of rape aren't really a big deal and phrased it badly.

But some blogs I've read people sound like they're trying to say all kinds of rape are equal. I know they're trying to retort to people who are trying to play down forms of rape like in the Assange case, and emphasize that it's still a very serious and terrible thing. But in doing so it ignores that fact that there still are differing levels of severity surely?

Unless there's just something I don't understand about this because I'm a man. I do accept there might be something I'm not getting about this.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteUnless there's just something I don't understand about this because I'm a man. I do accept there might be something I'm not getting about this.

Is there something intrinsically different between men who have never been raped and women who have never been raped? Perhaps it's naive but I'm working on the assumption that both are humans with varying levels of empathy. Understanding the dynamics may well be easier if you've been under threat of it, or had unwanted advances, I understand that, as hpmons has pointed out above. But rape is also violence, and men have similarly, plenty of experience of violence and being on the receiving end of that.

Whoever is unfortunate enough to have been attacked or assaulted sexually is going to have more of value to when we talk about it, but for the rest of us, men and women, both should listen, be patient, and try and understand, not draw dividing lines between the sexes, never mind generational gaps and cultural divides. If there is a lack of understanding somewhere, simply shouting LACK OF UNDERSTANDING doesn't bridge the gap, it widens it and fosters disquiet and prejudice.

QuoteI think part of the problem is that, as some people see it, men get to speak authoritatively on so many different subjects, that this is one of the few areas where women feel free to take a hold. 

I don't understand this bit, hpmons, can you explain further? I can't think of many subjects where men speak authoritatively and women couldn't do likewise. Are you talking about being reticent to get involved, share opinions?

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 24, 2012, 12:25:41 PM
Is there something intrinsically different between men who have never been raped and women who have never been raped?

Women are at a much greater risk/feel a lot more fear of it happening to them? Also, as a generalisation, women will be closer to more women and probably know of more instances of it happening to people close to them. Saying that men similarly have experience of violence isn't really the same thing. I'm very glad that I don't have to have the experience of a cunt deciding he's going to glass me because he doesn't like the look of me on a Saturday night, but that sort of violence doesn't carry the same issues. I think getting in fights is probably a horrible thing to experience and should be accepted as being so, rather than just a normal man thing, but I doubt it carries the same level of shame and the fears of not being believed, it doesn't have all these big myths and confusion over boundaries surrounding it and so on.

I don't think men should be excluded from the discussion, I don't think being a man invalidates your opinion on the matter, and ultimately in the long run if anything's going to get solved there needs to be all genders involved. But I don't think it is a level playing field for discussion; I think men and women who haven't been raped come at it from different points of view. Most men have empathy for the situation I'm sure, but if I think for example about the empathy I have for people who experience racism or race violence, I think there's definitely a gulf there, well-meaning though I might be.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotethink men and women who haven't been raped come at it from different points of view.

Entrenched ideas, myths and prejudices about all aspects of it might well exist more in men, than women, I agree. The idea about different points of view depends on the circumstances. I have a feeling a drunken situation where consent wasn't exactly explicit but there was regret the next day would have most men looking at it from the male perspective, whereas a situation where a dirty old man jumped from behind a bush and raped a young woman would have most men looking at it from the female perspective, whereas in both scenarios women would look at it to begin with, from the female perspective. (Unless boki was the dirty old man)

However, it is possible for everyone to take a holistic view. I think principally men and women are both equally capable of being informed/ignorant about rape and being informed is something either should be able to aim for without fear.

QuoteI doubt it carries the same level of shame and the fears of not being believed, it doesn't have all these big myths and confusion over boundaries surrounding it and so on.

I agree with this. I mentioned violence as it does at least have some comparable points men will be able to identify and empathize with from first hand experience. It is a residual threat, I scrupulously try to avoid it to the point where I'll cross the street, leave a room, etc, rather than even get close to anyone who threatens me, yet sometimes still end up being confronted with the potential of being harmed- mind you, I do live in South Yorkshire. I've been threatened with violence on account of my race a couple of times in the past- I think it was race because the guy said beforehand he had been done over by "some of YOUR PEOPLE". He may have meant ambient musicians. We are pretty annoying.

In terms of women knowing more women with instances of it happening, perhaps true. That's a shame though- men are partners, sons, brothers, fathers, uncles, cousins etc, sometimes all at once. And even socially men and women mix and are a lot less divided than in the past. There's lots of opportunities to establish relationships, become confidants and these should be leading to a wider and deeper empathy and understanding. I really dislike how the debate becomes restricted to troll columnists and the equally unconstructive backlash, most pressingly of all though, the general tone from many many women on the subject, that men simply shouldn't be trying to understand; that there's an area of debate that only women and rape victims are qualified to inhabit.

Kishi the Bad Lampshade

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 24, 2012, 01:44:50 PM
Entrenched ideas, myths and prejudices about all aspects of it might well exist more in men, than women, I agree...However, it is possible for everyone to take a holistic view. I think principally men and women are both equally capable of being informed/ignorant about rape and being informed is something either should be able to aim for without fear.

Oh, I certainly wasn't trying to say that all women are super-informed on this and men aren't. There are a lot of women who are ignorant about it too. Indeed that's often to their own detriment - one of the big reasons behind a lack of reporting rapes is because the victims themselves don't think it counted (as I'm sure you know). It can result in a nastiness and lack of sympathy from women too - research has shown that one of the worst jurors you can get in a rape trial is a middle-aged woman, who seem to have a tendency to buy into myths about 'asking for it'. I don't know whether that's just a result of growing up in a different age or if they just don't feel like it could happen to them. But I think if you take a woman and a man who have a similar level of enlightenment on the subject, the woman is probably in a better position to talk about it (unless the man's been raped and she hasn't).

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quoteas I'm sure you know

It's kept me out of the slammer all these years.