Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:52:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Not using shampoo

Started by Retinend, October 03, 2012, 10:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Eggs

Any white men on here with Dreadlocks? Show yerselves. We can organise a didgeridoo amnesty and get you help.

MC Root

I had two friends who had dreadlocks and are white in university. I remember one day rocking up to class to find one of them had shaved his head completely. I thought, "Ok, new look." I asked him about it. He shaved his head because of nits! The other one's a very well paid computer game designer who still has the dreds!

monkfromhavana

I shared a house with a mature Irish student with dreads. He was an absolute filthy fucker. Never did any cleaning and used to use mugs as ashtrays.

I once got back one morning to find him in my bed with his dead-eyed American girlfriend. Never trust 'em!

haveachocolatebiscuit

How does this fit in with having a gym routine?

I can imagine shampooing 2 or 3 times a week for an average male that's not really too arsed about his hair but what if you go running/gym regularly? Surely the sweatiness would need to be shampooed out straight after?

What about blokes with dreadlocks that go to the gym?

Mr Eggs

QuoteWhat about blokes with dreadlocks that go to the gym?

Find one and i'll send you a pound[nb]A special one from the Channel Islands! Not a run-of-the mill pound[/nb]

Theremin

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on October 03, 2012, 01:18:16 PM
Somebody correct my garbled notion of how dreadlocks are made:

• Stop washing your hair
  • Your hair goes hard and sort-of-sticky
  • Bunch it together into long snake-like clumps
  • Burn the hair with a blowtorch (a little one like Jamie Oliver has), thus fusing it semi-permanently
  • Go around looking like a prat

That's technically correct, in the same sense that if you throw eggs, flour, butter, and sugar into a big barrel, then lob some kerosene and a match in there, you'll get a cake.

They're basically a kind of braid. There are loads of hairdressing tutorials online.

Also, not sure where everyone's getting the not-washing thing from. That's just a notion taken from the old 'smelly hippie' sterotype.

NoSleep

The "not-washing" is mistaking the original rastafarian way of using water only to wash your hair. I don't think that the original dreadlock wearers use any kind of braiding either.

SockPuppet

Quote from: Hangthebuggers on October 03, 2012, 03:45:35 PM
I don't trust white people with dreadlocks.

Ironic, seeing that they are all TRUSTafarians.

(zing)

My wife informs me that the shampoo and conditioner I'm currently using cost £45. What's all that about??

haveachocolatebiscuit

Quote from: SockPuppet on October 03, 2012, 08:19:06 PM
Ironic, seeing that they are all TRUSTafarians.

(zing)

My wife informs me that the shampoo and conditioner I'm currently using cost £45. What's all that about??

That you're being overcharged for your stuff. Or your wife is doing you over out of money. I think probably a £1 bottle of shampoo is as good as a £20 one. It's all guff made by Proctor and Gamble, innit?

Theremin

Quote from: NoSleep on October 03, 2012, 08:18:14 PM
The "not-washing" is mistaking the original rastafarian way of using water only to wash your hair. I don't think that the original dreadlock wearers use any kind of braiding either.

Quite possibly. The braiding method is probably a newer thing, for people who don't have the ideal kind of hair to use other methods.

olliebean

My scalp gets all lumpy and scabby-looking if I don't use the right kind of shampoo, on account of my seborrhoeic dermatitis, so I pretty much have no alternative than to pay 7 quid a bottle for the stuff. I get away with twice a week, though, because I don't go out much so it doesn't get dirty that quickly. (Normally every 3 days cos it starts getting itchy around day 4, but I'll wash it after 2 days if I'm going out that evening.)

NurseNugent

I use a bit  (about the size of a 10 pence piece)of shampoo on my scalp and a bit on the nape of the neck, none on the hair itself and I've never had any complaints. I have shoulder length hair and I wash it every about 5 times a week. It's not that big a deal.

The Βoston Crab

I wash my hair with shampoo every day because I am a human male. I use conditioner every day because I am a ponce.

I've got a mate who never used to use shampoo because he and his girlfriend didn't 'believe in it'. They used to live in The Bush and would 'clean' each other by filling a sock with oats and scrubbing their bodies with it. Apparently, this worked just as well as soap but was better for 'everyone'.

They were once arrested for stealing clothes from a donation bin. She got a three-stripe shellsuit and he an oversized 'business man's suit'. They were arrested while asleep under a tree covered in newspapers they'd stolen.

Awesome guy.

Terrible rashes in summer.

Goldentony

Everyone fuck off, right? Just got off the phone with Wimbledon FC who told me shampoo is for "farts" so eat that

Puffin Chunks

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 03, 2012, 05:04:04 PM
My hair goes all fluffy and rubbish when I use shampoo

Find the right shampoo for you. This is a long, expensive, laborious and wasteful process but, like hair, not all shampoos are created equally. The right one for you exists somewhere. It took me about 2 years to find the right shampoo for me[nb]L'oreal Elvive for Dry or Damaged Hair, fact fans[/nb], only now they seem to have discontinued it so I'm back to the annoying process of finding the right one again. Currently my look swings between frizz ball and greasy mop.

How often should you wash your hair out of interest?

Wednesdays - wash.
Sundays - wash and condition.

momatt

Quote from: Hangthebuggers on October 03, 2012, 03:45:35 PM
I don't trust white people with dreadlocks.

I think dreadlocks look disgusting on anyone, regardless of race.  They look like long, horrid strands of shit glued to a head.

This is my favourite song about white rastas. 
Ras Trent, by Lonely Island.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcK0MYgnHjo

Milo

My hair goes all fluffy and rubbish when I use shampoo, so I only use it when I'm not going to be seeing people that day.

Baby shampoo, man, baby shampoo. Mine was exactly the same as you describe.

Uncle TechTip

I haven't used shampoo for at least a decade. Just water is enough. Yeah my hair can get greasy by the end of the day, but who cares? Like any of you vain idiots I shower every day and if I go out at night, so it's never a problem. Have you image-obsessed drones actually tried not using shampoo? Or are you just speculating? It takes a week or two but it does stabilise. I'm touching my hair now and it feels smooth and healthy. Look at you, in thrall to the cosmetics industry.

chocky909

My hair goes all fluffy and rubbish when I use shampoo, so I only use it when I'm not going to be seeing people that day. Fortunately that happens quite a lot, so I don't have to worry about people laughing behind my back. And in my face. Or to the side of me.

Try a shampoo for dry hair? They have oils in it that will stop your hair from being too fluffy after you use it.

gabrielconroy

Although I will try out this seemingly insane baby shampoo craze simply for lack of willpower, may I recommend TRESemmé and their fine range of non-frizzifying products?

I have also moved to only shampooing once every two or three days, too, and have noticed a improvement in both the overall loveliness and the wonderousness of my hair.

Santa's Boyfriend

I'd recommend anyone with frizzy or wiry hair to stop shampooing and simply wash their hair in water in the shower every morning instead.  I stopped washing my hair with shampoo and it went from being generally wiry and not very interesting into really nice locks.  It was never smelly or greasy, as I washed it every day.

I shave it into a small mohawk these days.  I still don't use shampoo, but sometimes I miss those locks.

Treguard of Dunshelm

Dad's cancelled my card again, totes bummer.

NoSleep

Quote from: Puffin Chunks on October 03, 2012, 11:53:40 PM
Find the right shampoo for you. This is a long, expensive, laborious and wasteful process but, like hair, not all shampoos are created equally. The right one for you exists somewhere. It took me about 2 years to find the right shampoo for me[nb]L'oreal Elvive for Dry or Damaged Hair, fact fans[/nb], only now they seem to have discontinued it so I'm back to the annoying process of finding the right one again. Currently my look swings between frizz ball and greasy mop.

Wednesdays - wash.
Sundays - wash and condition.

You realise how much your post sounds like an addict rationalising their habit? Ever seen that film, The Stuff, where everyone who's eaten it start sounding like an advert talking at you when they find out that you don't eat it?

Not using shampoo is right, obviously. Why start using a product whose only feature is to make your hair more greasy so that you need to keep using it?

The Βoston Crab

You realise how much your post smells like a dirty smelly bastard, right?

:)

Puffin Chunks

Quote from: NoSleep on October 04, 2012, 11:16:45 AM
You realise how much your post sounds like an addict rationalising their habit? Ever seen that film, The Stuff, where everyone who's eaten it start sounding like an advert talking at you when they find out that you don't eat it?

Not using shampoo is right, obviously. Why start using a product whose only feature is to make your hair more greasy so that you need to keep using it?

Yes, I deliberately presented my exaggerated opinion as if it was fact knowing that I would either come across as a soulless twat or as someone who was deliberately presenting their opinion as exaggerated fact. I can live with either.

For what it's worth. not using shampoo doesn't work for me as my scalp starts to flake and my (very fine) hair gets ridiculously greasy. Neither does baby shampoo (for me!).... so whilst I deliberately presented my post as some kind of brain dead salon-trainee, I do stand by the thrust behind it.

BlueSkies

I just rove a bar of soap over my head instead of shampoo.

And I shave using the lather from the same bar of soap.

In fact you can a judge a man's manliness by how many applications he finds for an ordinary bar of soap.

Puffin Chunks

Sorry for the offtopic but... which tracker is that in your avatar?

NoSleep

Quote from: BlueSkies on October 04, 2012, 02:13:09 PM
In fact you can a judge a man's manliness by how many applications he, or a bearded woman, finds for an ordinary bar of soap.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteWhy start using a product whose only feature is to make your hair more greasy so that you need to keep using it?

Another feature is that it smells nice.

NoSleep

You could always make your hair smell nice without leeching all the natural oils from your scalp at the same time. Smelling nice isn't an essential function of shampoo. It's an essential function of perfumes.