Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:31:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Quickest Fall From Fame

Started by Small Man Big Horse, April 08, 2015, 07:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pranet

Quote from: PaulTMA on July 04, 2017, 03:43:58 PM
Finding I quite like that one these days too, although it is both weird why the drum kit seems tuned for reggae on what is quite obviously an upbeat rock song - surely a good producer would see to that - and the fact it is titled 'Spiritualized'.  Jason Pierce missed an opportunity by not releasing an answer song.

Steve Sutherland also wrote a ridiculously over-the-top review for that ill-fated second album.  If rumours are to believed, then the only 'big smiles all round' from the label arrived when it proceeded go dumper-wards:
http://www.nme.com/reviews/album/reviews-nme-3033

I'd forgotten what a terrible arse Steve Sutherland was.

Captain Poodle Basher

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on July 07, 2017, 08:08:36 PM
And his cunt kids were gifted careers by the national media out of loyalty. I love this country.

Perhaps it was more out of sympathy of having him for a father. I once saw Ryan, with perhaps Lottie in tow, marching up Grafton Street and shouting to the gaggle of kids with him to do as he said or they were all going home and there'd be no cinema for anyone. He was dressed in a "Sam Spade" style brown mac and had a straggly beard - I thought he was a belligerent wino at first glance. I also had the dubious honour of being called a loser by him, or words to that effect, back in the 1990's as he swept past me and into Cork's RTE studios. I'm fucking glad Stress did for him.

smudge1971

Quote from: Pranet on July 07, 2017, 11:22:44 PM
I'd forgotten what a terrible arse Steve Sutherland was.
Dogshit and diamonds? The cunt never had any class whatsoever and wrote like a Joey. https://twitter.com/simon_price01/status/826182063216746496?lang=en

jobotic

I can't read that. So did he like them or what? Actually don't answer that. Couldn't care less about either band or him.

Someone drove past me blaring out The Streets yesterday. So, Mike Skinner? Did he disappear or is he now a respected producer/film soundtrack composer/media artist/writer for The Economist?

smudge1971

Quote from: jobotic on July 08, 2017, 10:34:05 AM
I can't read that. So did he like them or what? Actually don't answer that. Couldn't care less about either band or him

It was more that he equated the MM with Suede (diamonds) and Kingmaker with the NME (dogshit) then a few months later took over at the NME. Lamacq and a few others resigned and soon all the good writers (Maconie etc) left, effectively killing the paper for anyone who'd liked it since 1973.

jobotic

Oh right, ta. I really couldn't tell what he did or didn't like.

I much preferred MM, but can't remember that much of the writing. Only clip I still have is Steve Albini's review of Spiderland.

Everett True had the nearest taste to mine but was obsessed with how well he knew all these famous musicians, like anyone cared.

George White

Quote from: Dead Soon on April 12, 2017, 10:35:08 PM
Noel Edmonds has faded quickly away again after his second wave. When you go sufficiently bonkers, you'll find yourself being filed away.
I think he was recently announcing projects that may never get on the air, a la Hughie Green and Cilla Black.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on July 07, 2017, 08:08:36 PM
And his cunt kids were gifted careers by the national media out of loyalty. I love this country.
Ryan himself got there solely because of family ties too sure.

Only reason he didn't get a consistent television slot was because absolutely no one liked him, which is easier to ignore on the radio. Utterly terrible host really, unable to let anyone but himself be the centre of attention. He was being pushed like Roman Reigns for years there and people were so overwhelmingly against it that they had no choice but to go with Pat Kenny as the host for light entertainment instead.

Brundle-Fly

The other afternoon, I was in Highgate Village in a newsagent. I suddenly felt this animal scratching at the back of my leg and somebody politely apologise. It was one of those little terriers that old ladies own. I turned round and it was Mike Skinner.

He should call himself The Mews now and compose garage tracks about the new Waitrose app.  Or form a supergroup with Steve 'Buzzcocks' Diggle and Ray Davies who I always see hanging around N6 pubs?

Didn't the actors from Fame TV series fall from fame after the series ended?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on July 12, 2017, 01:51:21 PM
Didn't the actors from Fame TV series fall from fame after the series ended?

Nope - arguably it varied, but on 'one are they now?' articles and an awful Justin Lee Collins reunion show, I would say that a fair few of went on to do well. Admittedly, it was often on the other side of the camera like choreography and directing, so lack name recognition for many.

However, what did happen to poor little Janet Jackson? 

George White

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on July 12, 2017, 01:07:44 PM
Ryan himself got there solely because of family ties too sure.

Only reason he didn't get a consistent television slot was because absolutely no one liked him, which is easier to ignore on the radio.
Same for Marian, Joe Duffy, Mooney eventually too.

holyzombiejesus

Has anyone mentioned Badly Drawn Boy yet?

kidsick5000

Quote from: jobotic on July 08, 2017, 10:34:05 AM
Someone drove past me blaring out The Streets yesterday. So, Mike Skinner? Did he disappear or is he now a respected producer/film soundtrack composer/media artist/writer for The Economist?

The last I saw of him, he had a brief role in a Doctor Who episode.
I won't say cameo because it was hard to distinguish was he guesting or actually doing it for work.

GOOD GOD THAT WAS 7 YEARS AGO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY4thfIL0lU

Quote from: Ignatius_S on July 12, 2017, 02:00:53 PM
Nope - arguably it varied, but on 'one are they now?' articles and an awful Justin Lee Collins reunion show, I would say that a fair few of went on to do well. Admittedly, it was often on the other side of the camera like choreography and directing, so lack name recognition for many.

So in other words, not well-known, hence not famous anymore.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on July 12, 2017, 04:59:43 PM
So in other words, not well-known, hence not famous anymore.

Or to put it another way:

Quote from: Ignatius_S on July 06, 2017, 05:46:13 PM
Yeah, Webb's pretty busy – he had quite a large role in the recent Cold Feet revival.

Also, he's done stage work, such as starring in the West End as Bertie Wooster. I remember there has been similar threads where someone commented about whatever happened to Mackenzie Crook, when it was around the time was one of the leads in Jerusalem, which was a big of a smash for a play one could have wished for (and it might have been when it transferred to Broadway) and not long before that, had received rave notices for The Seagull. This inevitably happens in these type of threads – if you're not on telly, you must be doing badly.

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on July 06, 2017, 06:59:47 PM
And the telly has to be Radio Times cover worthy too.

With the example you gave of Fame, there will be people such as Debbie Allen who is very well-known in the States for her work behind the camera, but lack name recognition over here for that same work. In the UK, I suspect for more modern audiences she's best known for adding a touch of class to Grey's Anatomy (not a fan of the show, but she's very good in it). 

Alberon

Quote from: Ignatius_S on July 12, 2017, 01:33:37 PM
What's that?

I guess that's a Joey Deacon reference. A heart-warming Blue Peter story met with a predictable response from children up and down the land proving the assertion that most kids are psychopathic cunts.

holyzombiejesus

I still inadvertently do that pushing my bottom lip out with my tongue when I think something is bewildering stupid. It's really horrible although I do think that the action in itself has developed as a separate entity to the whole mocking of the disabled from where it originated.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: George White on July 12, 2017, 10:50:20 AM
I think he was recently announcing projects that may never get on the air, a la Hughie Green and Cilla Black.

Imagine if he started crowdfunding and self-producing his own stuff like Richard Herring, that'd be beezer.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 12, 2017, 11:12:16 PM
I still inadvertently do that pushing my bottom lip out with my tongue when I think something is bewildering stupid. It's really horrible although I do think that the action in itself has developed as a separate entity to the whole mocking of the disabled from where it originated.
BELM

Jockice

Quote from: Alberon on July 12, 2017, 09:47:22 PM
I guess that's a Joey Deacon reference. A heart-warming Blue Peter story met with a predictable response from children up and down the land proving the assertion that most kids are psychopathic cunts.

Oh yeah, they were the days.

phantom_power

Or that they have yet to develop the emotional intelligence to deal with such an issue, if you wanted to be less judgemental.

I think part of the problem there was the lack of visibility of disabled people. In those days they were almost hidden away. There is much more integration in mainstream schools now so that sort of behaviour is seen less and less

Jockice

Quote from: phantom_power on July 13, 2017, 09:02:34 AM
Or that they have yet to develop the emotional intelligence to deal with such an issue, if you wanted to be less judgemental.

As someone who occasionally got called a Joey (among other things) for the terrible crime of having a limp as a child I'd rather be more judgemental. I hope the little bastards have died slowly, painfully and all alone since then.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 12, 2017, 11:12:16 PM
I still inadvertently do that pushing my bottom lip out with my tongue

John Lennon used to do that.  I've seen a couple of pictures where he's doing so.

In the 90s, an American ventriloquist called Ronn Lucas seemed to be on TV all the time.  He had his own series, he appeared as a guest on various kids' shows.  And then suddenly he was gone.  In fact, I haven't even thought about him until now.  What happened?  Did he have a big fight with his puppets?

Apropos of Joey Deacon, I recall he seemed to rank among [banned troll]'s obsessions, and he could never quite seem to decide whether he still held a point and snigger attitude or was condemning such nastiness in his allusions about him.

phantom_power

Quote from: Darles Chickens on July 13, 2017, 10:35:54 AM
In the 90s, an American ventriloquist called Ronn Lucas seemed to be on TV all the time.  He had his own series, he appeared as a guest on various kids' shows.  And then suddenly he was gone.  In fact, I haven't even thought about him until now.  What happened?  Did he have a big fight with his puppets?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronn_Lucas

Seemed to do OK back in America

Wet Blanket

Similarly 'dark' ventriloquist David Strassman. I remember he was everywhere at one point, and even had a terrible ITV programme which always stuck in my mind because he'd  introduce the break as 'after these short messages', like the the US TV shows. That's what was most memorable about it for me, not the sweary puppet.

Dr Rock

Joey couldn't be accused of a quick fall from fame though could he?