Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:52:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP Kenny Baker.

Started by Glebe, August 14, 2016, 02:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Kenny Baker, actor behind R2-D2, dies.

As one of the legions of Star Wars fans who's loved the series since as far back as I can remember, this is sad, sad news. Started out as a double-act with fellow ewok and Time Bandits scoundrel (among other things) Jack Purvis, and has of course been in other things besides the SW series (and R2, for that matter) and Time Bandits, including Flash Gordon, The Elephant Man, Amadeus, Labyrinth, Mona Lisa (with Purvis) and Willow (uncredited, alongside Warwick Davis, who famously got his break playing Wicket the ewok when Baker fell ill) and the BBC's The Chronicles of Narnia. Rest in Peace, mate.

KingCnut

Just a thoroughly nice chap. RIP Kenny.

On my mutha fuckin death list.

Steven

He had his own comedy act back in the 50s and also worked with magician David Berglas operating Robby the Robot, long before R2D2 was a glint in Lucas' eye.

Depressed Beyond Tables

The man was a real tour de force and a renowned gentleman in the business. He did for robots what Newton did for the simple apple. A leader, a warrior, so much more than a man in an iron clad contraption of cogs and wires that some circles would have you believe.

Glebe

Peter Mayhew pays tribute.

QuoteI know I'm a bit late with this, but my sadness is profound and no words seemed adequate to convey what we collectively and I personally have lost with the passing of my dear friend Kenny Baker. Kenny and I became fast friends the first time we met and formed a lifelong bond after realizing that we had so much in common. Although people liked to contrast the difference in our heights, we found we shared many of the same struggles, from finding clothes, driving cars, and fitting in airplane seats to health issues and the ever constant stares of strangers; we understood each other on a level that few others can. I am so very glad I got to spend time with him in London earlier this month. His talent and his wicked sense of humor never diminished even as his health did. Ever the showman, Kenny was always eager to meet his fans. In the decades we knew each other, I never met anyone who enjoyed the public more. For all the joy he brought this world on screen and off I give my thanks, and a final farewell to my little friend with the giant heart who's gone to soon. Rest in Peace Kenny.

That was rather sweet. Didn't know they were such good mates.

Gulftastic

It is, but isn't everyone who's mates with Mayhew 'his little friend'?