Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,796
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:00:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The appropriate length of time before an homage or tribute

Started by Default to the negative, September 16, 2016, 11:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
It's acceptable for a contemporary film to pay tribute to 'A Nightmare On Elm Street' or 'The Wickerman'. We don't flinch at that.

But we all baulk at films which take their inspiration from films which came out only a few years before, e.g. Skyfall being 'inspired by' The Dark Knight.

How long is too short?

And how long is too long? Referencing films from the silent era can seem like a pretentious attempt at scoring film student points.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: Default to the negative on September 16, 2016, 11:23:46 PMReferencing films from the silent era can seem like a pretentious attempt at scoring film student points.

Not if it's Naked Gun 3 using Eisenstein.

(The Untouchables did it seriously about ten years earlier).

Bhazor

Shay Chaise

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on September 17, 2016, 05:52:05 PM
Not if it's Naked Gun 3 using Eisenstein.

(The Untouchables did it seriously about ten years earlier).

He's called Einstein, Einstein.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Default to the negative on September 16, 2016, 11:23:46 PM
we all baulk at films which take their inspiration from films which came out only a few years before, e.g. Skyfall being 'inspired by' The Dark Knight.
I think there's a sense that it's just cashing in on the recent film. See also Suicide Squad getting pilloried for copying Guardians of the Galaxy's soundtrack, even though Tarantino pipped them both by over two decades. I've no idea of exactly how long 'recent' means, though.

Glebe

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on September 17, 2016, 11:33:48 PMI think there's a sense that it's just cashing in on the recent film. See also Suicide Squad getting pilloried for copying Guardians of the Galaxy's soundtrack, even though Tarantino pipped them both by over two decades. I've no idea of exactly how long 'recent' means, though.

It certainly appears that the studio interfered to make Suicide Squad a bit more Grauniadsque[nb]If you will...[/nb]... the first trailer was dark and weird, then the later ones - and the whole advertising campaign thenceforth - was all jauntiness and colour.