Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,802
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:41:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Podcast Thread 2017 + Edition

Started by Small Man Big Horse, July 17, 2017, 04:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueusername

Quote from: Twed on March 21, 2018, 02:21:00 PM
WOW his stand-up about the penguin game at the start is bad. I feel certain that Herring is an exceptionally poor stand-up with no craft. I'm not saying he's a bad comedian, but that routine is an example of somebody who fundamentally can't do stand-up.

When you release an album every year, some tracks will be filler. That doesn't stop your hit songs from being good.

Twed

Bobtoo

I've a feeling Herring wanted to write more episodes himself and was trying to find a way to ask.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Twed on March 22, 2018, 02:24:10 AM
But you don't release the filler as a single.

I think his bigger defenders would concede that he really needs to apply some quality control to his output.

My own opinion: he's really not a natural standup, but after a lot of effort over many years he is competent.

olliebean

I think in his proper shows, he's probably as good as most stand-ups at his level of success, although the material is better than the delivery. But the stuff he puts out for free really isn't a good advert.

Genevieve

Quote from: Bobtoo on March 22, 2018, 07:10:31 AM
I've a feeling Herring wanted to write more episodes himself and was trying to find a way to ask.

Right, he said that near the end: "I could write some archaeologists into it"; earlier on he pointed out that he wrote "Excavating Rita" but it didn't get picked up (a running theme that successful people have done a similar theme to something he's done = implied injustice).  Even though we've heard him discussing in the Stewart Lee RHLSTP the fact that the subject matter is not important it's what's done with it that counts; so the only reply Mackenzie could have given would be "Sorry, it probably wasn't strong enough".

I hate myself a bit for writing that, he's had plenty of kicking on here over the years.  To be constructive, what I always think is he should edit more.  Every time he has anything he thinks is finished he could try saying "Now cut it by 50%" - take out extraneous words and repetition that serves no purpose.  Warming Up was supposed to be a writing exercise, try making it an editing exercise and after a while it might become second nature in the writing style.  In live work that would give lots more breathing space for the words and the jokes might land better as the audience can hear them.  Plus he'd have less of a panic learning the block of text and more time to refine and position the funny bits more effectively.

trueusername

He's trying to make it. Experimented with different approaches. The podcast was probably the most successful thing he will make. But thats ok, not everyone can be Seinfeld. He found an audience, and he seems to think they care about every single thing he says. But he's making a living out of that, so I won't pretend I can give advice to a comedian doing this for 20 years.

I will say, however, that my favorite comedians have a "voice". Something ordinary said by them is funny (like Todd Barry or Stewart Lee) Richard seems to have that voice in some moments, the emergency questions is an example. He takes meaningless and silly things to another level, and then overreacts about how important those subjects are. I absolutely love those moments.

Genevieve

Quote from: trueusername on March 22, 2018, 04:45:52 PM
so I won't pretend I can give advice to a comedian doing this for 20 years.

I knew that was coming!

trueusername

Quote from: Genevieve on March 22, 2018, 05:05:55 PM
I knew that was coming!

Well I'm jobless laying on my couch criticizing other people, I'm too self-aware at this point in my life to rant about other people's work!

c

But... but... but... he's reading out badly translated English on a Chinese game... and saying nothing more interesting or comical about it than any random idiot who's half thinking about it whilst doing someone else like tying their laces... and it's an actual scripted part of his actual latest standup show... and the WHOLE SHOW CLOSES on a callback to... to... THIS

Can he not hear his own crowd barely laughing?

trueusername

Quote from: c on March 22, 2018, 10:13:17 PM
But... but... but... he's reading out badly translated English on a Chinese game... and saying nothing more interesting or comical about it than any random idiot who's half thinking about it whilst doing someone else like tying their laces... and it's an actual scripted part of his actual latest standup show... and the WHOLE SHOW CLOSES on a callback to... to... THIS

Can he not hear his own crowd barely laughing?

Fair enough. It was bloody awful.

Dyl Spinks

I went to see Richard Herring last night and I did like the penguin bit. But, after the interval, my mind started to wander, and - maybe I've just listened to too many RHLSTPs - I couldn't believe the second half seemed to be just the two stories about getting into fights, one with a guy outside a club, one with a postman. That's my fault maybe though, and not Richard Herring's. I did enjoy the show on the whole though.

olliebean

Seriously, those two stories are in his latest show? I've heard both those stories multiple times in his free output. The postman one happened relatively recently and never struck me as particularly funny or interesting - I assumed he'd dropped it rather than graduated it to his actual proper show. As for the other one, assuming it's the same story as I think he said it was the only fight he'd ever had (the postman thing is more an argument than an actual fight), that's years old.

I really like most of his earlier shows, the later ones less so but still good stuff in them, but not seen the last few - sounds like he's really scraping the bottom of the barrel now. He's been doing the penguin bit for a couple of years too.

Herring speaks too fast, which makes him sound more needy than even he is. Slow down, relax.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: olliebean on March 24, 2018, 09:41:39 PM
Seriously, those two stories are in his latest show?

I thought he was relearning and redoing his old shows of late, could be wrong.

Hitler Moustache first half is excellent.

olliebean

Quote from: Depressed Beyond Tables on March 25, 2018, 11:37:07 PM
I thought he was relearning and redoing his old shows of late, could be wrong.

Hitler Moustache first half is excellent.

He did his first 12 shows over 6 weekends a couple of years back, but afaik that was a one-off and he hasn't done any of the old ones since then.

His autobiography has a long section about fights he won and lost, including one with Lee.

paruses

Surprised to See All Killa No Filla popup as the latest episode. I quiet enjoy listening to it but as I tend to walk a lot and binge them they get a bit samey.

Anyone listened to this one yet (RHLSTP not the AKNF podcast)? I've downloaded it for my journey home this evening.

DrGreggles

I'll probably listen to it over the weekend, as I enjoy AKNF quite a lot.
Pretty much given up on RHLSTP on the whole though. Just tend to dip in when the guest appeals these days.

paruses

Well, yes - likewise. I have a backlog I can't quite get round to clearing.

And to think I never used to skip ahead to get to guests I really wanted to hear.

paruses

Quote from: paruses on March 29, 2018, 01:10:38 PM
Surprised to See All Killa No Filla popup as the latest episode. I quiet enjoy listening to it but as I tend to walk a lot and binge them they get a bit samey.

Anyone listened to this one yet (RHLSTP not the AKNF podcast)? I've downloaded it for my journey home this evening.

Realised that my post is obtuse as to what I will and won't be listening to:

I listen to AKNF a lot but it gets samey
I will listen to this RHLSTP on the journey tonight.
I am honestly curious as to what the interview will be about - the Rachel and Kiri or the subject of their podcast - I imagine RH is quite into serial killers.

mobias

Just caught the Mackenzie Crook episode. He seems like a really lovely guy but not one for flippant jokey small talk.

The James O'Brien podcast interview with Richard Herring is excellent. I really enjoyed it.

Incidentally I love those Richard O'Brien Joe podcast interviews. They're all superb and really interesting. The recent one with Mark Hamill is well worth a watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPO48chm_Ck

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: mobias on March 31, 2018, 08:04:23 PM
Incidentally I love those Richard O'Brien Joe podcast interviews. They're all superb and really interesting. The recent one with Mark Hamill is well worth a watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPO48chm_Ck

Oh you tease!

Replies From View

Dara O'Brien was great in The Crystal Maze.  Welcome to the Aztec Zone errrrrrrrrrrrrr!  You have two minutes and this is an automatic lock in errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

ColinPopshed

Agreed. One of my favourite comedians, and so great in this episode.

TMJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Grjg3FTBTs

Peter Baynham. I'm delighted your grandad is dead the podcast is here. 10 minutes in and already a treat.

marquis_de_sad

Chris Morris comes up at about the 1hr mark. Very briefly. Overall a good episode, though.

Oops! Wrong Planet

Yes, good episode. Much funnier in the first half, but maybe that was me running out of steam.

Herring needs to buy his shirts two sizes bigger, widescreen Noel Edmonds so he is.