Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:37:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Neverending Tory (Megacatastrofuck)

Started by Alberon, November 10, 2017, 06:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

That's the reason May has got to 'enjoy' the last wretched year in office since she shat the bed at the general election - there's no one to replace her.

Rees-Mogg is a clear non-starter with the floating voter, Boris might have short term Trump-like success but would soon run the whole show off a cliff and Rudd has been fucked over by Windrush and has a majority in her constituency of about 12.

The most popular tory is Ruth Davidson and she isn't even in an MP.

I've said it before but the Tories are doing a amazing revival of their wilderness years under IDS while still being, technically, in power.

idunnosomename

Yes it's interesting how Amber Rudd has ploughed her chances into the mud now.

Gove of course is doing a great greenwash of his reputation by just being entirely competent

DrGreggles

Not sure anyone wants to lead the Tories next, given the massive cunt up that Brexit will be.
They'll be secretly delighted when Corbyn gets in so they can blame Labour for everything that happens.
The 'top' Tories will want to be leader then.

rjd2

Quote from: Cuellar on April 23, 2018, 04:18:43 PM
So when do we get to pay £5 to join the Tories and vote for Mogg? Can't see any way of that blowing up in anyone's face.

Not much point. If Mogg makes it to the final 2 and where the members can vote he will win in a landslide. Obviously the stumbling block is I don't think MPS will put him up as even those who like him will know how toxic he will be with large areas of the public. I don't think he really wants it either, look at his bank balance, why the hassle of having his views dissected so much more than they are now?

Gove would be my favourite, has kept his head down and done none of the grandstanding that the likes of Mogg and Johnson have. He's clearly not as fanatical about Brexit as Fox, Mogg etc. 

He also wants the job and is popular with the conservative base as he has been second in the last few conservativehome polls.

I have small money on Rudd, but last week has ruined her totally. I am tempted to ring the bookie I had the bet with and politely ask for it to be cancelled.

idunnosomename

Rees-Mogg doesn't want to be PM. He didn't really want to be an MP. He's only doing it because his dad made him do it. They carved out a new constituency for him that is basically The Archers. He just likes having loads of money and doing fuck all.

greencalx

Gove is a toad. And a turd. A toad on a turd.

The fact that he is now considered a 'reasonable' person to lead the Tory party really shows the state they are in.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It would be like having Francis Urquhart as PM, fucking terrifying.

Alberon

A spotty little oik pretending to be Francis Urquhart.

I think I'd actually prefer a real Francis Urquhart. At least he'd be competent. I'd be willing to put up with him murdering the occasional reporter for someone competent.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 23, 2018, 08:36:54 PM
It would be like having Francis Urquhart as PM, fucking terrifying.

Not if he had a similar demise.

BlodwynPig

Paul Calf

There's no way May can go into the next election. I think there'll be a leadership change soon.

gib

Paul Calf

The Tories used to tuck him out of harm's way during elections because his unarresting mix of charmless arrogance and inept right-wing autocracy was electoral poison. It might be indicative of the state of the Tories but it's probably just another case of people getting the politicians they deserve.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Hilarious such a universally despised creep, especially one so closely associated with the shittest conceited untruths of Brexit could be even mentioned. Can he even kiss his children goodnight without calculating what personal advantage may be gained from doing so? He would split the vote with Mogg and Boris if they stood, possibly allowing someone less insane to sneak in. Whoever that may be.

The preferred next few weeks:

- Tories lose the advisory vote on customs union badly
- Labour make huge gains in the local elections
- Tories lose the real vote on the customs union, putting into doubt the architecture of Brexit
- Corbyn calls on May to call an election or resign
- May resigns

Rich Uncle Skeleton

DrGreggles

If the local elections go in Labour's favour, there is NO WAY that the Tories will call a GE.
I still think the most likely cause of that will be a handful of bi-election losses over the next couple of years.

idunnosomename

The thing with Gove is that he's been riding all this plastic bag and farming subsidy greenwash shit for the last year or so, but he has way more skeletons in his closet than even May or Rudd if he ever comes centre-stage again. Those skeletons being the decayed corpses of our schools system that he turned into a free-market clusterfuck.

buzby

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 25, 2018, 10:03:30 AM
https://twitter.com/80_mcswan/status/989038019490574336 - is this the CA boss?
It's Julian Wheatland, the chair of CA's parent company SCL group and was also the chairman of the Oxford West and Abingdon Conservative Association until January 2017. Cameron is a shareholder in SCL Group, along with other Tories like ex-ministers Lord Marland and Geoffrey Pattie and Tory donor and Brexit campaigner Roger Gabb.

Wheatland took over as CEO of CA when Alxeander Nix was suspended following the C4 News investigation.

May was asked about her party's links to CA/SCL at PMQs last month but dodged answering.
https://www.thecanary.co/uk/2018/03/21/real-reason-theresa-may-dodged-question-tory-links-cambridge-analytica-pmqs-today/

greenman

If Rudd's being lying about quota's for deportations being in place you'd think that most be the end of her.

Buelligan

Quote from: buzby on April 25, 2018, 10:26:54 AM
It's Julian Wheatland, the chair of CA's parent company SCL group and was also the chairman of the Oxford West and Abingdon Conservative Association until January 2017. Cameron is a shareholder in SCL Group, along with other Tories like ex-ministers Lord Marland and Geoffrey Pattie and Tory donor and Brexit campaigner Roger Gabb.

Wheatland took over as CEO of CA when Alxeander Nix was suspended following the C4 News investigation.

May was asked about her party's links to CA/SCL at PMQs last month but dodged answering.
https://www.thecanary.co/uk/2018/03/21/real-reason-theresa-may-dodged-question-tory-links-cambridge-analytica-pmqs-today/

Thanks for the link, most interesting reading.

Paul Calf

Quote from: greenman on April 26, 2018, 07:48:42 AM
If Rudd's being lying about quota's for deportations being in place you'd think that most be the end of her.

Yeah, but the Tories don't have a cabinet stuffed with venal incompetents because they think it;'s a good idea do they?

Blumf

It's been a thought I've had for a while, that the Tory party is ripe for centrists entryism from Labour Progress types. After all there's a pretty good cross-over in core beliefs (i.e. pro-war, hate Corbyn, love wealth). They're generally more competent than, seemingly, the entirety of the Tory party, so should be able to rise up the ranks pretty easily. If I was a young TFM type, and wanted a good political career prospects, I'd swallow my pride and join up. You'd be running the place within a decade. The only thing stopping them is that it's chronically unfashionable.

Buelligan

Quote from: greenman on April 26, 2018, 07:48:42 AM

From the look of her, I'd guess she wasn't aware of actual recorded and enumerated targets (she should have been - if they exist - of course, especially now, given the public interest.  I wonder who is briefing her.).  More interestingly to me, if it is proven that these targets exist, it will be very interesting to discover how long they have been in place and under what initiative they were established.  I hope May is fretting worse than someone forced onto a plane to be sent permanently somewhere they have no hope nor home nor family.

Paul Calf

Nah. If she walks out of Downing Street tomorrow she's got her two big houses and her arms-dealer husband to coasat out the rest of her life. Plus the public speaking fees that they all seem to rake in.

She might be feeling the stress, but she knows there's a massive pot of gold at the end of it. As long as she keeps doing as she's told, she can't lose.

Buelligan

Money isn't everything though, not by a long shot.  If she'd been primarily interested in it, I doubt she would've chosen politics.  You only have to look at the physical change in her over the last two years to see that she is paying a heavy internal price for her hubris - and that is just as the gods intend.  May the Erinyes chase her down all the long corridors of night until she can run no more.

Cuellar

What's all this brouhaha over the name Operation Vaken? We knew that's what is was called years ago (going by google news search results anyway).

Only thing I can find on the word itself is from IKEA, and it allegedly means 'awake' in Swedish.

People going on about Nazi associations. Any truth to that?

Danger Man

Quote from: Cuellar on April 26, 2018, 10:16:53 AM
Only thing I can find on the word itself is from IKEA, and it allegedly means 'woke' in Swedish.

Buelligan

Quote from: Cuellar on April 26, 2018, 10:16:53 AM
Only thing I can find on the word itself is from IKEA, and it allegedly means 'awake' in Swedish.

A synonym for vaken is pigg, which is interesting.

Dave Pigg is 28.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Buelligan on April 26, 2018, 10:13:34 AM
Money isn't everything though, not by a long shot.  If she'd been primarily interested in it, I doubt she would've chosen politics.  You only have to look at the physical change in her over the last two years to see that she is paying a heavy internal price for her hubris - and that is just as the gods intend.  May the Erinyes chase her down all the long corridors of night until she can run no more.

If you're an arms dealer, it's probably quite profitable to be married to the PM.