Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:55:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Theresa May: The Final Days

Started by Mark Steels Stockbroker, July 08, 2018, 10:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Oscar Bluth II

Raab is one of the Britannia Unchained people. The very scariest type of Tory.

Quote from: Paulie Walnuts on July 09, 2018, 07:34:49 AMSurely heading for another GE, I would've said the Tory vote would collapse after the Brexit betrayal at Chequers, but if enough senior Tories distance themselves from that clusterfuck then their support may not drift back to UKIP in protest

Spoiler alert: no-one normal cares about any of this. Any general election will be fought on schools, hospitals and so on, not the difference between a single market for goods and a single market for goods and services.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on July 09, 2018, 12:20:41 PM
How do the Tory party do it? One incompetent unlikeable cunt departs and another is already on his way hours later like some kind of conveyor belt.

Arise Sir Dominic Rennie Raab, keeping the acidic bile that is the general public pacified for another few weeks.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: mothman on July 09, 2018, 12:35:30 PM
This is the way it's always been, back to Republican Rome or before. Privileged arseholes playing the system, biding their time until it's their turn in the top jobs. They only go off the reservation if that process is threatened - like when they feared Julius Caesar would become a monarch, thus losing their own chance to rule (even if for just one year as one of two Consuls; in fact the Consular roles did survive under the Emperors, as did the Senate, but as toothless nonentities). Likewise, May is safe in her job as long as the jobs for the old white guys boys are still there; if she threatens that they'll get rid of her. The difficulty right now is in the current situation there's no easy way to get rid of her without potentially ending up with a GE they might lose, thereby ending their cushy reign.

All the while doing SHIT ALL for the people they "govern". SHIT ALL CHANGE FOR THE BETTER WHILE THIS GOES ON. FUCK A FOOTBALL TOURNAMENT, THAT'S ONLY TEMPORARY.

mothman

A good rule of thumb with Tories is, how do you think they'd look in a German SS uniform? Raab passes the test, as do RM and Gove.

Paul Calf

Quote from: mothman on July 09, 2018, 12:35:30 PM
This is the way it's always been, back to Republican Rome or before. Privileged arseholes playing the system, biding their time until it's their turn in the top jobs. They only go off the reservation if that process is threatened - like when they feared Julius Caesar would become a monarch, thus losing their own chance to rule (even if for just one year as one of two Consuls; in fact the Consular roles did survive under the Emperors, as did the Senate, but as toothless nonentities). Likewise, May is safe in her job as long as the jobs for the old white guys boys are still there; if she threatens that they'll get rid of her. The difficulty right now is in the current situation there's no easy way to get rid of her without potentially ending up with a GE they might lose, thereby ending their cushy reign.

The press headlines this morning are a mixture of deadpan reporting ('left-wing' newspapers + The Independent) reality-denying lauding of May's bravery (The Express and The Mail) and total denial that it's even happening (The Sun).

The deflector shields are still intact and will remain so until the Tories are finished salting the earth against any future left-wing government.

mothman

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 09, 2018, 12:50:48 PM
All the while doing SHIT ALL for the people they "govern". SHIT ALL CHANGE FOR THE BETTER WHILE THIS GOES ON. FUCK A FOOTBALL TOURNAMENT, THAT'S ONLY TEMPORARY.

Sadly, yes. To quote the marshal of Sov-City 1 in the Judge Dredd story Apocalypse War, OJ being asked whether they should tell the people they're at war with Mega-City 1: "the people? What have THEY got to do with it?"

Funcrusher

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 09, 2018, 12:53:12 PM
The press headlines this morning are a mixture of deadpan reporting ('left-wing' newspapers + The Independent) reality-denying lauding of May's bravery (The Express and The Mail) and total denial that it's even happening (The Sun).

The deflector shields are still intact and will remain so until the Tories are finished salting the earth against any future left-wing government.

Laura Kuenssberg doing her usual job as Tory shill at the Beeb: Davies is a man of principle, May will soldier on. Meanwhile two Labour MPs argue about whether Coke is better than Pepsi and so CORBYN IS FINISHED!

New Jack

Wish I worked at a paper, just so I could stir up my general anti-Tory agenda using such biased sources as TheyWorkForYou with context-free soundbytes that basically satisfy what I want to see!

Or whatever I need to say to justify posting this screenshot as it makes me laugh and fits my view of "things"

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Funcrusher on July 09, 2018, 12:58:02 PM
Laura Kuenssberg doing her usual job as Tory shill at the Beeb: Davies is a man of principle, May will soldier on. Meanwhile two Labour MPs argue about whether Coke is better than Pepsi and so CORBYN IS FINISHED!

which Labour twerps? Two of the nouveau-infantile narcissist clique?

mothman

Quote from: BlodwynPig on July 09, 2018, 01:09:57 PM
which Labour twerps? Two of the nouveau-infantile narcissist clique?

TBF both sides of the Labour Party call each other that.

Alberon

So what will Labour do when this comes to Parliament? May might need their votes to get it through. So do they dodge the issue by allowing a free vote or block it on the basis that it's utter shit?

New Jack

Quote from: Alberon on July 09, 2018, 01:14:27 PM
So what will Labour do when this comes to Parliament? May might need their votes to get it through. So do they dodge the issue by allowing a free vote or block it on the basis that it's utter shit?

I expect them to block it. There's possibly more positives to be gained from doing this even aside from the fact it's a bit of a shit version - it's clear the Tory party is troubled and I suspect they'd do this to capitalise on that, on the offchance it would cause a leadership challenge (vote of no confidence), and hope that parlays into a general election (whether the timing is right for that is another matter, but it's certainly been worse)

I actually remain puzzled as to what, if any, form of Brexit can get passed, and suspect if nothing else does it first that's what costs May her job - but I think it's an issue that extends far beyond her. The lack of definition and decisiveness isn't a May issue per se - she's just struggled to improve it; which is her brand of leadership in a nutshell.

I think a common criticism of Labour / Corbyn is the lack of commitment to any definition of Brexit (or even rejecting it), so in one respect perhaps their hand is going to be forced?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Labour need to make their move in such a way that it guarantees a premature move by Tory leavers against May that will split the Tories down the middle and achieve little other than their own destruction, all the while not looking too complicit and Brexity.

Difficult. But you'd definitely take this, wouldn't you?

If leavers don't like the Chequers deal they sure as fuck won't like the Labour one.

Bhazor

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on July 09, 2018, 12:48:26 PM
Raab is one of the Britannia Unchained people. The very scariest type of Tory.

Spoiler alert: no-one normal cares about any of this. Any general election will be fought on schools, hospitals and so on, not the difference between a single market for goods and a single market for goods and services.

Yeah, but you're making the mistake of thinking that's what people think Brexit is. As opposed to PROOIIIDIDDD TAKE OUR COUNTRY BACK FREETONY ROBINSON

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Alberon on July 09, 2018, 01:14:27 PM
So what will Labour do when this comes to Parliament?

Corbyn will probably decide he has to urgently visit a community allotment scheme in East London.

mothman

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on July 09, 2018, 01:41:24 PM
Corbyn will probably decide he has to urgently visit a community allotment scheme in East London.

Oh, I wish you weren't being serious.

Blue Jam

Quote from: mothman on July 09, 2018, 12:52:14 PM
A good rule of thumb with Tories is, how do you think they'd look in a German SS uniform? Raab passes the test, as do RM and Gove.

Ever seen General May Engel from Wolfenstein?

pancreas

The rumour mill has it that Blow Job is planning to resign. Hasn't been turning up for meetings and he's had a new wine fridge delivered.

pancreas

TrenterPercenter

Dr Rock

Theresa May's 'Chequer's Trap' of how ministers who might want to resign would have to walk half a mile to the local taxi firm turns out a bit shit if they resign the next day instead.

SteveDave

It's coming home. To roost.

"Dear NewsJack, do I have a headline for you..."

Replies From View

madhair60

Bleeding Kansas

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 09, 2018, 03:07:16 PM
Theresa May's 'Chequer's Trap' of how ministers who might want to resign would have to walk half a mile to the local taxi firm turns out a bit shit if they resign the next day instead.

Indeed, if only they could apply the same ingenuity and skill in the Brexit negotiations.

popcorn

Cuellar

Bhazor

Given that Boris Johnson launched this whole fucking thing to try and remove Cameron and take the party lead. It didn't quite go to plan did it?

So much democracy right now. Just oozing out of every pore.

mothman

Quote from: popcorn on July 09, 2018, 03:11:22 PM
Can you explain this? Thanks.

Er, BoJo has resigned? The Foreign Secretary?