Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:49:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

JAWS (shark film)

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, August 21, 2018, 03:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 06, 2020, 02:50:24 PM
Yep, he's like a piece of cowhide.  That boy could tan!

It's an absolutely stunning piece of work the UHD.  I was always going to get it day 1, but I must admit I was somewhat dubious about how much of an improvement it could possibly be over the remastered blu.  But it is a VERY noticeable step up again - having the benefit of being able to compare both almost side-by side, the extra detail and clarity and increased colour range on this UHD release is tremendous.

One of the most obvious differences is that the "bigger boat" shot on the Bluray he looks like a Waxwork.

With HD there was generally a bit of trickery going on(especially earlier on with BR) in terms of making the picture look sharp artificially but I do think UHD done well gives you a more natural film like look, more real detail without having to apply sharpening.

The vast majority of what I'v picked up on UHD so far as been pre millennium, its not always razor sharp but the overall effect is definitely pleasing, arguably often suits the high contrast look of the late 70's/80's as well or the kind of more subdued mid 70's colours.

kalowski

Is thee any point getting a UHD film if you don't have a UHD TV?

Shit Good Nose

The best advertisements for UHD I've seen so far are 2001 and Apocalypse Now, which is especially unreal.  I don't really know how to describe AN's 4K blu other than it all looks like it's happening for real within the TV.  If that makes sense.

I know UHD isn't necessarily a standard bearer for top quality, and there are still some that have managed to come out looking and sounding worse than their 20+ year old DVD releases (and there are some techie spods out there with optimal laserdisc set-ups where they've demonstrated even one of the laserdisc releases offered a much better and more authentic cinematic experience in terms of the way it looks), but when it's done properly the technology sells itself.  Alas i can't see it lasting what with the decline in sales of physical media in line with increasing streaming, and with some distributors not bothering because the cost far outweighs the return.  It's also a fair bet that Disney won't be doing any 4K releases for anything other than Marvel, Star Wars and their own back catalogue, and what with their major dislike of distribution deals with third parties,  it means it's unlikely we'll ever see any Fox back catalogue titles released on UHD.  Cunts.

Quote from: kalowski on June 07, 2020, 01:54:55 PM
Is thee any point getting a UHD film if you don't have a UHD TV?

No.

kalowski

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 07, 2020, 01:56:50 PM
No.
Thanks. I almost accidentally bought the UHD Apocalypse Now and realised at the last minute.

greenman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 07, 2020, 01:56:50 PM
The best advertisements for UHD I've seen so far are 2001 and Apocalypse Now, which is especially unreal.  I don't really know how to describe AN's 4K blu other than it all looks like it's happening for real within the TV.  If that makes sense.

I know UHD isn't necessarily a standard bearer for top quality, and there are still some that have managed to come out looking and sounding worse than their 20+ year old DVD releases (and there are some techie spods out there with optimal laserdisc set-ups where they've demonstrated even one of the laserdisc releases offered a much better and more authentic cinematic experience in terms of the way it looks), but when it's done properly the technology sells itself.  Alas i can't see it lasting what with the decline in sales of physical media in line with increasing streaming, and with some distributors not bothering because the cost far outweighs the return.  It's also a fair bet that Disney won't be doing any 4K releases for anything other than Marvel, Star Wars and their own back catalogue, and what with their major dislike of distribution deals with third parties,  it means it's unlikely we'll ever see any Fox back catalogue titles released on UHD.  Cunts.

Quite a lot of recent releases are just upresing 2k sources and adding false HDR I believe, the StudioCanal releases have generally been very good, Apoc Now, Don't Look Now, Escape from Newyork, Angel Heart and The Elephant Man.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: greenman on June 07, 2020, 04:58:40 PM
Quite a lot of recent releases are just upresing 2k sources and adding false HDR I believe, the StudioCanal releases have generally been very good, Apoc Now, Don't Look Now, Escape from Newyork, Angel Heart and The Elephant Man.

Yes, Angel Heart is another good example (I got the German release for its uncut status), although I was disappointed with Escape From New York - honestly don't think it much of an improvement over the standard blu, but then that could just be down to the limitations of the cheap stock that was used.

greenman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on June 07, 2020, 05:17:12 PM
Yes, Angel Heart is another good example (I got the German release for its uncut status), although I was disappointed with Escape From New York - honestly don't think it much of an improvement over the standard blu, but then that could just be down to the limitations of the cheap stock that was used.

Its only obviously more detailed in the odd shot but I would say the contrast is significantly better plus again I think  resolving the grain better makes it look smoother.

The recent Elephant Man looks excellent as well, again much smoother but also using the extended contrast range well rather than just trying for extreme highlights and shadows.