Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:20:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

JAWS (shark film)

Started by Ballad of Ballard Berkley, August 21, 2018, 03:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

It's not the Thriller in Manila, it's the Calamity in Amity.

kalowski

I'll probably be watching this again on Friday. The missus is out.
I tell you this for information only.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

My cat is called Amity. I named him after shark film. He's a nice cat. Doesn't give a fuck about Jaws.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 27, 2018, 12:27:50 PM
My cat is called Amity. I named him after shark film. He's a nice cat. Doesn't give a fuck about Jaws.

I regret to inform you that your cat is a felinestine.

kalowski

Well, I'm about 12 minutes in and this film gets better every time I see it. Not a false step. No waste. "You yell 'shark' and we've got a panicwin out hands on the 4th of July."
Alex Kittner will be dead within 20 minutes of the film starting.

Quote from: kalowski on August 31, 2018, 09:15:48 PM
Well, I'm about 12 minutes in and this film gets better every time I see it. Not a false step. No waste. "You yell 'shark' and we've got a panicwin out hands on the 4th of July."

That's the thing, it's such a lean, propulsive film. You'd never guess that it was such a troubled production, as the finished article works so beautifully. It grabs your attention from the start and never lets up. A masterpiece.

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 27, 2018, 06:55:21 PM
I regret to inform you that your cat is a felinestine.

Believe you me, he's a constant source of shame.

kalowski

Dreyfuss is absolutely brilliant. Obviously the three leads are all great, but I love Dreyfuss's performance.

kalowski

Quote from: kalowski on August 31, 2018, 09:15:48 PM
Well, I'm about 12 minutes in and this film gets better every time I see it. Not a false step. No waste. "You yell 'shark' and we've got a panic on our hands on the 4th of July."
EDIT: fucking fat fingers (error preserved below)

Quote from: kalowski on August 31, 2018, 10:05:03 PM
Dreyfuss is absolutely brilliant. Obviously the three leads are all great, but I love Dreyfuss's performance.

That character could easily come across as annoying - the rich-kid shark expert who knows it all - but the smart screenplay and Dreyfuss' nerdy, nervy, witty performance ensure that he's always likeable. Hooper is quite vulnerable, especially when pitted against the macho bravado of Quint (which is all a front anyway, as we discover during the Indianapolis speech).

One of my favourite lines in the film, which sounds like it was improvised by Dreyfuss, is in the scene where he brings a couple of bottles of wine to the Brody household. A drunk and depressed Brody cracks one of the bottles open and swiftly pours himself a large glass. Hooper mutters: "You might want to let that breathe for a minute... never mind."

Jaws is full of great little character moments like that.

kalowski

Well it proves one thing Mr. Hooper. It proves that you wealthy college boys don't have the education enough to admit when you're wrong.

Quote from: kalowski on August 31, 2018, 10:25:03 PM
Well it proves one thing Mr. Hooper. It proves that you wealthy college boys don't have the education enough to admit when you're wrong.

Shaw is amazing. What a great performance. Scheider is faultless too, of course. He's ostensibly the 'hero', but he comes across as an actual human being with genuine fears and concerns. A decent, ordinary man out of his - ho-ho - depth.

St_Eddie

There's not a bad performance in Jaws (shark film).  Not even "a wwhhhaaattt?!" guy.  In fact, especially not "a wwhhhaaattt?!" guy.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 31, 2018, 10:02:54 PM
Believe you me, he's a constant source of shame.

A source of shame or a saucer of shame?

Cat puns!

kalowski

Quote from: St_Eddie on August 31, 2018, 10:33:48 PM
There's not a bad performance in Jaws (shark film).  Not even "a wwhhhaaattt?!" guy.  In fact, especially not "a wwhhhaaattt?!" guy.

Definitely not that guy. I love him. Perfectly judged humour ("bite radius crap") before Mrs Kittner slaps Brody.
Dreyfuss and Shaw look so confident on the boat, and Brody so nervous. Wonder if Brody was any good as a cop in NYC?

He litterally got me in a right old flap when he refurred to Jaws as one of the most boring miaowvies he's ever had the misfortune to shit through.

kalowski

It rips the fucking cleats off the boat!

St_Eddie

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 31, 2018, 10:43:14 PM
He litterally got me in a right old flap when he refurred to Jaws as one of the most boring miaowvies he's ever had the misfortune to shit through.

*bows down to the master of puns*

Quote from: kalowski on August 31, 2018, 10:39:34 PM
Definitely not that guy. I love him. Perfectly judged humour ("bite radius crap") before Mrs Kittner slaps Brody.
Dreyfuss and Shaw look so confident on the boat, and Brody so nervous. Wonder if Brody was any good as a cop in NYC?

"Whaaaaaat?!" guy is hilarious. His weirdly camp line-reading is so incongruous, it's wonderful.

I've always got the impression that Brody was a good cop who fled NYC because he couldn't stand the stress, grime and horror of it (this was the '70s, after all). He was possibly on the verge of a nervous breakdown? That's why he ends up on sleepy Amity Island, a place where he can do his civic duty without having to deal with a daily intake of violent crimes.

Then a massive fucking shark turns up...

kalowski

I can hear my dad's voice during Quint's death scene. "A shark would never do that."
"This one would, dad! It's kill or be killed. Quint is its nemesis."

Exactly! You were, and are, correct.

St_Eddie

Quote from: kalowski on August 31, 2018, 10:56:15 PM
I can hear my dad's voice during Quint's death scene. "A shark would never do that."

That is such a Dad thing to say.  Bloody Dads!

The shark in Jaws (shark film) behaves in a way that no shark ever would. It doesn't matter. Suspend your disbelief, Dads!

I do, however, like the thought of a realistic Jaws (shark film). Shark kills woman, police close beaches for a couple of days, beaches reopen and everything is fine because the shark has fucked off. It didn't mean to kill that woman, it was hungry and mistook her for a big seahorse.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 01, 2018, 12:39:19 AM
...I do, however, like the thought of a realistic Jaws (shark film). Shark kills woman, police close beaches for a couple of days, beaches reopen and everything is fine because the shark has fucked off. It didn't mean to kill that woman, it was hungry and mistook her for a big seahorse.

Why do you have to go putting ideas for fan edits in my head?  As if I don't have enough on my plate as is.

Blumf

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 01, 2018, 12:39:19 AM
I do, however, like the thought of a realistic Jaws (shark film). Shark kills woman, police close beaches for a couple of days, beaches reopen and everything is fine because the shark has fucked off. It didn't mean to kill that woman, it was hungry and mistook her for a big seahorse.

Jaws : The Revenge (realistic shark film)
Same beach, years later, a shark grazes past a swimmer before moving off to deeper waters. Video of the event is posted to Youtube, a commenter calls the shark 'a fag'.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 31, 2018, 10:43:14 PM
PAWS (cat film)

Dr Rock

Probably the best and most memorable things about Jaws (shark film) 2 is the tagline on the poster 'Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.' Had a quick look to see if the genius who came up with that is known to history but it seems not. Peter Benchley gets a credit but I'm guessing that's erroneous.

Shit Good Nose

There's not a bad performance in Jaws (shark film). 

There WAS, in fact there were two.  Fortunately Spielberg noticed and cut them - in the deleted scenes you'll find one where Quint's little mate with the oily cap gets a few lines (quite possibly one of THE worst performances ever filmed), and the hippy fella from the beginning gets another scene where he does some abysmal reaction acting.

I like how, because he was a shit actor, Quint's little mate only appears in the town hall meeting scene. His subsequent disappearance from the film suggests an unseen subplot where Quint murders him after they have a massive drunken argument about the best way to boil a shark's jaws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNuKSWLguBs

Just watched those deleted scenes again, and my God, SGN, you're not wrong. The young long-haired guy is absolutely dreadful in the scene where they discover Chrissie's remains, but he's practically Laurence Olivier compared to Quint's mate. You can almost see the contempt in Shaw's eyes as the guy delivers his lines so atrociously.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 01, 2018, 05:22:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNuKSWLguBs

Just watched those deleted scenes again, and my God, SGN, you're not wrong. The young long-haired guy is absolutely dreadful in the scene where they discover Chrissie's remains, but he's practically Laurence Olivier compared to Quint's mate. You can almost see the contempt in Shaw's eyes as the guy delivers his lines so atrociously.

I've never seen these deleted scenes before, thanks for that.  The long haired fella isn't a great actor, it's true.