Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 07:08:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Petition to revoke Article 50 [split topic]

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 21, 2019, 10:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 28, 2019, 07:22:10 PM
No personally I think the EU are trying every possible trick to help May get the deal through. Hence the No Deal scaremongering (it is scary but not as much as they are making out).

I think the EU want us to revoke A50 and are giving us every opportunity.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 28, 2019, 07:42:21 PM
I think the EU want us to revoke A50 and are giving us every opportunity.

Well yes, that's I think their dream, but I think they desperately want the deal done if that doesn't happen, as they are all concertedly coming out with a barrage of on-message remarks designed to scare/guilt/bore as many MPs as possible into signing it off.

DrGreggles

I think the shit deal IS the bluff.
They're hoping that it'll be voted down and the lack of a further extension will leave revoking as the only option.
Either that or the UK leave with a shit deal that they voted for.

The EU have played a blinder on this really.

greencalx

pancreas

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 28, 2019, 08:25:08 PM
I think the shit deal IS the bluff.
They're hoping that it'll be voted down and the lack of a further extension will leave revoking as the only option.
Either that or the UK leave with a shit deal that they voted for.

The EU have played a blinder on this really.

No, this isn't correct. The thing to do is to watch the speech by Sabine Weyand where she gives the behind-the-scenes on the negotiations. The backstop was apparently the UK's idea, for example.

Zetetic

God knows what thread this should be in, but - are there any good examples of anti-EU resistance within the UK? Where someone has personally rejected an imposition deriving from the EU?

Metric martyrs at the best I can think of.

(I don't so much mean the UK ignoring the Commission's complaints about our air pollution.)

idunnosomename

never forget them straightening our bananas

greencalx

Were there some anti-quota fishing protests?

That said, I always felt that the fishing quotas were always fundamentally more to do with the reproductive prowess, or otherwise, of fish than the EU (despite it being the latter that was responsible for the policy).

Paul Calf

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/fewer-than-6-tory-mps-turn-up-to-debate-petition-of-6-million/02/04/

Biggest petition in the history of the government's own petition site and 6 Tories turn up to debate it. Must be that democratic revolution where everything's up for grabs.

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: Crisps? on March 26, 2019, 10:32:31 PM
A petition, whether "on a computer" or not, is not a vote. This is about the time you should stop pretending to be an idiot.

Credit where it's due,  Stanislavsky would be thrilled.