Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:26:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Petition to revoke Article 50 [split topic]

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 21, 2019, 10:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howj Begg

https://twitter.com/HoCpetitions/status/1108711303865139202

QuotePetitions Committee

A lot of people have been asking about numbers. Between 80,000 and 100,000 people have been simultaneously viewing the petition to revoke article 50. Nearly 2,000 signatures are being completed every minute.

Petitions Committee

The rate of signing is the highest the site has ever had to deal with and we have had to make some changes to ensure the site remains stable and open for signatures and new petitions. Thanks for bearing with us.

BlodwynPig

Signed with a different e-mail address (this probably invalidates the whole petition now when The Express expose duplicate signatories)

Quoteallow up to 24 hours for the email to arrive

NoSleep

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 21, 2019, 01:11:14 PM
Signed with a different e-mail address (this probably invalidates the whole petition now when The Express expose duplicate signatories)

You would have to also provide another name and home address to sign up twice.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: NoSleep on March 21, 2019, 01:18:35 PM
You would have to also provide another name and home address to sign up twice.

There could be another Blodwyn T. Pig with the same postcode but different house number. Let's see what I get sent.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Howj Begg on March 21, 2019, 01:04:39 PM
The most leftwing friends on my facebook wall are sharing this thing, including one who was sent to prison after a fracking demo. This is getting traction right across the political spectrum.

Right across the political spectrum from remain voters all the way over to remain voters.

thugler

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 21, 2019, 12:15:58 PM

It doesn't matter how many signatures it gets if it's just the remain side having another go does it? Your vote isn't worth more because you go online and have another go on a website. Lewis Hamilton doesn't get double points the real Australian GP if he goes home and replays it on his Xbox.

I still don't understand Labour's position. Corbyn's on now saying how May's deal was rejected twice - but that was because they voted against it despite the fact they're not actually proposing changing the WA. He's saying the alternative is for labour to negotiate a different relationship with the EU, but he must know the EU won't negotiate on any future relationship until the WA is passed. That is in fact the whole point of the WA.

So why don't Labour propose an amendment that would see them supporting the WA on the condition that they have a place at the future negotiations?

they're not actually proposing changing the WA.

Is customs union /single market / freedom of movement not a change?

jobotic

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 21, 2019, 01:20:19 PM

Right across the political spectrum from remain voters all the way over to remain voters.

The far-right are having none of it, to be fair.

Howj Begg

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 21, 2019, 01:20:19 PM

And they, remain voters, exist right across the political spectrum, including all political parties in the HoC, which is the very definition of "the entire political spectrum". It does not mean every individual in that spectrum.

Do you know what words mean?

biggytitbo

Quote from: thugler on March 21, 2019, 01:23:06 PM
they're not actually proposing changing the WA.

Is customs union /single market / freedom of movement not a change?

The WA is just the terms of the transition period whilst we negotiate what our future relationship with the EU is, it doesn't specify any of those things because we cannot negotiate those things until we've actually left the EU. That is essentially the point of the WA. There is the non binding political declaration that specifies some ambitions for the future talks but Corbyn isn't bound by that anyway, so it makes no sense why he is opposing the WA when he wouldn't even change it.

Cloud

Meh, signed, if the email ever comes through.  Waste of time though, it'll just get a "52% agreed in 2016 to LEAVE blah de blah" statement (unless say 40 million sign it), I almost didn't bother but there's no harm in sending a message at least.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Howj Begg on March 21, 2019, 01:25:35 PM
And they, remain voters, exist right across the political spectrum, including all political parties in the HoC, which is the very definition of "the entire political spectrum". It does not mean every individual in that spectrum.

Do you know what words mean?

But we already know lots of people oppose leaving the EU. In fact, I can give you a very specific figure if you like?  And boy oh boy they haven't shut up about it since have they?

We're told day in day out, hour after hour, minute after minute, on tv, radio, online and most importantly in parliament that leaving the EU is a catastrophic mistake. It's not as if this point of view isn't anything other than massively overrepresented already. You're not an elderly american on holiday, just shouting a bit louder to the waiter doesn't magically make you start speaking Spanish.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Cloud on March 21, 2019, 01:37:50 PM
Meh, signed, if the email ever comes through.  Waste of time though, it'll just get a "52% agreed in 2016 to LEAVE blah de blah" statement (unless say 40 million sign it), I almost didn't bother but there's no harm in sending a message at least.

spoilers:

QuoteRevoking Article 50 would not respect the vote of the British people in the 2016 referendum.

Almost three quarters of the electorate took part in the referendum and 17.4 million people voted to leave the European Union. This is the highest number of votes cast for anything in UK electoral history and the biggest democratic mandate for a course of action ever directed at any UK Government. This result was then overwhelmingly confirmed by Parliament, who voted with clear and convincing majorities in both of its Houses for the European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Act. Then, in the 2017 General Election, over 80% of people then also voted for parties committing to respect the result of the referendum and it was the stated policy of both major parties that the decision of the people would be respected.

This Government has therefore been given a clear mandate to implement the will expressed by the electorate in the referendum, and to revoke Article 50 would undermine that mandate.

Paul Calf

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 21, 2019, 12:42:24 PM

They lost the referendum itself because they failed to make a good enough case for the EU. They have lost the debate about a 2nd referendum result because they failed to make a good enough case for one. This same cohort has lost on every major issue for the last decade.

Why are we listening to what they say again?

Because of democracy.

Irritating, isn't it?

(Petition now just under 950,000)

jobotic

They so lost the referendum result because of the lies and criminality of the leave side. We all know that now. No wonder you're all so aggressively defensive.

Fambo Number Mive

Quoteand the biggest democratic mandate for a course of action ever directed at any UK Government

Is it? Given 16,141,241 also voted to remain, there is a majority of 3.8%. It's funny how only the 17.4m who voted to leave are mentioned all the time, not the 16.1m who voted to remain.

biggytitbo

Quote from: jobotic on March 21, 2019, 02:08:04 PM
They so lost the referendum result because of the lies and criminality of the leave side. We all know that now. No wonder you're all so aggressively defensive.

You only know that because you're a total zealot with disdain for the political agency of millions of people.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 21, 2019, 02:08:39 PM
Is it? Given 16,141,241 also voted to remain, there is a majority of 3.8%. It's funny how only the 17.4m who voted to leave are mentioned all the time, not the 16.1m who voted to remain.
Well that's what they always say, I suspect every referendum will always be the biggest simply because of population growth

greencalx

biggytitbo

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on March 21, 2019, 02:08:39 PM

If we counted remainers everytime they voted in another petition complaining that they lost they'd be on about 500m votes by now.

I don't know how many times it needs to be pointed out that remain voters votes are worth 1, just saying it again and again and again doesn't make them worth 2.

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 21, 2019, 02:10:12 PM

You only know that because you're a total zealot with disdain for the political agency of Arron Bank's Russian benefactors.

jobotic

You only know that because you're a total zealot with disdain for the political agency of millions of people.

Yes I only know about things that have happened  because I'm a zealot.

You have spent all morning denying the political agency of millions of people.

What are you whining about anyway? You're so close to the prize. The end of employment protection, regulation and progressive tax. Then you can take the mask off. Imagine the relief. Like getting caught having an affair.

jobotic

Anyway another thread destroyed by this cunt. Well done.

biggytitbo

Quote from: jobotic on March 21, 2019, 02:14:47 PM

Yes I only know about things that have happened  because I'm a zealot.

You have spent all morning denying the political agency of millions of people.

I'm not denying their agency, I'm just pointing out the simple fact that their votes aren't worth more than leave voters votes, regardless of how LOUDLY THEY KEEP SHOUTING about it. Or regardless of how many conspiracy theories you dream up that it woz the ruskies.

What are you whining about anyway? You're so close to the prize. The end of employment protection, regulation and progressive tax. Then you can take the mask off. Imagine the relief. Like getting caught having an affair.

We're not leaving the EU.

Paul Calf

Simnock seems to have lost the link to cryingbaby.jpg

Happy to help:

greencalx

Interestingly (only to me), Leithers are more revokey than us ponces in the South.

phantom_power

A reasonably consistent spread of signatures by region as well:

https://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/?petition=241584

Obviously more in the liberal elite stronghold but still roughly 1000-2000 per area everywhere else

Barry Admin

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 21, 2019, 01:48:41 PM
But we already know lots of people oppose leaving the EU. In fact, I can give you a very specific figure if you like?  And boy oh boy they haven't shut up about it since have they?

We're told day in day out, hour after hour, minute after minute, on tv, radio, online and most importantly in parliament that leaving the EU is a catastrophic mistake. It's not as if this point of view isn't anything other than massively overrepresented already. You're not an elderly american on holiday, just shouting a bit louder to the waiter doesn't magically make you start speaking Spanish.

lol you're raging

Cuellar

This pales in comparison to 40 fucking years of bonkers Brussels bureaucrat whinging.

phantom_power

Quote from: biggytitbo on March 21, 2019, 01:48:41 PM

One explanation for this is some sort of neoliberal conspiracy. Another explanation is because it is true. We all know which one you choose and why