Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,806
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:35:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical Hot Takes

Started by dontpaintyourteeth, October 10, 2022, 09:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

I did a phone interview with Eden in the late 80s and sent the article off to him with what could best be described as fan mail verging on a love letter. He never replied and I can't say I blame him.

New page the smell of loneliness.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Not sure how hot this take is but getting into the Lemon Twigs via the Mollusk's thread has made me realise that I actually don't care if a band/musician is unoriginal as long as the music is good

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: cosmic-hearse on February 14, 2024, 11:10:30 PMafter dismissing Alain Badiou,

they're dead to me now. i am no longer able to seperate art from artist

although... fuck that alain badiou, he should really get with the it and start thinking about the enlightenment, resisting atomisation and how we're all one

The Mollusk

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on February 15, 2024, 12:27:32 PMNot sure how hot this take is but getting into the Lemon Twigs via the Mollusk's thread has made me realise that I actually don't care if a band/musician is unoriginal as long as the music is good

Yeah there's maybe a separate thread in this tbh, though I did start one some time ago along the lines of asking if music being derivative or revivalist makes it less palatable than the originals/classics. I think at that time I was having some trouble accepting how hugely popular bands like black midi and King Gizzard are, partly because Gizz can frustrate me sometimes in how "good but not great" a large amount of their output is. Despite being lauded for being so tirelessly hard working it does feel like they could make less music which is a lot better if they took their time. They're a lot of fun but it sometimes falls a bit too much on the side of derivative and easy for me.

I broadly agree with you though and find the "[artist] already did this 50 years ago" argument dull, not to mention having a whiff of elitism and gatekeeping about it. Yeah we get it, you've heard the band that influenced this one - you sure showed those clueless zoomers!