Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:25:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

6music idiocy AKA I hate change

Started by bobloblaw, April 04, 2023, 12:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarecrow

They should bring back George Lamb.

jobotic

mobias

Quote from: kalowski on April 04, 2023, 08:14:18 PMI know the CaB hive mind tells us to not like Maconie, but I do. I like Maconie and Radcliffe on a Saturday followed by Huey whatsit.

I like R&M. Their show was pretty much pitch perfect for the afternoon slot when it was on. 'The chain' was/still is bloody annoying though. Radio producers really need ditch these stupid repetitive jingles like that drunk of punk or whatever the fuck its called on Craig Charles show. Its so annoying on a daily basis. There's a part of Radio 6 which thinks its trying to appeal to teenagers circa 1983.

Mary Ann Hobbs is way too gushy. Though I applaud her for playing some full on industrial techno at 11am on Tuesday morning it does just get turned off at my work.

Lauren Laverne I like. She gets the tone of her show and audience right and plays some great tunes.

Don't tend to listen to the evening shows but will catch up on the Sunday stuff when Craig Charles sends everyone to sleep during the week day afternoons.

NTS is slowly taking over at my work as the go to digital station to have on in the background. Its fresher and seems more about the music and less like trying to be Radio 2.

Janie Jones

I saw a fly poster for Loyle Carner the other day and did a comedy double take, so astonished was I that he is a real artiste and not some bland exudate conjured by 6Music execs box-ticking, like Arlo Parks.

I like it when Huey says with undisguised contempt, 'Now here's something from the playlist...'

Vodkafone

Quote from: Janie Jones on April 07, 2023, 04:54:14 PMI like it when Huey says with undisguised contempt, 'Now here's something from the playlist...'

Oh, me too. I really like the Huey show, despite him having a tantrum that Lauren Laverne won an award that time and be didn't. It does feel like he's on a mission to educate us about the music he grew up with, and a lot of it's great.

Durance Vile

Carner and Parks seem to be the latest in a line of artists that have inexplicably been given the the keys to 6Music and get relentlessly plugged. No idea how that works. There have been a few of them over the years. At least these two are inoffensive (apart from than that "aye" thing that Carner does which seriously makes my shit itch) compared to Arthur Mullard being sick in a bucket Idles and the foul reign of Frank Turner.

I like Riley, although I can understand why others don't and he's certainly got his own group of pet musicians, but he does a good job of introducing new music to old farts like me. Getting rid of Gideon Coe's show is just vandalism, though, and combining two shows as different as that isn't going to work. I'm all for Deb Grant, but not at the expense of the other evening shows. They should have given her Lamacq's slot instead.

Das Reboot

I suspect the Riley/Coe arrangement was presented to them in the hope that one - or both - opted to walk; like wot Keaveny did when he was axed from the afternoons and offered a weekend slot.

I barely listen to any of 6Music live anymore, there's no danger of being ambushed by The Hawk being deployed in the daytime utility role that way. I flicked it on one morning a while back to see what Laverne was up to and found out it was fucking Lamacq's T-shirt Day so it went off pretty sharpish.

I catch up during the week with Cerys, Huey and occasionally R&M. I should listen to Hobbs more often, but that one bloody bed she uses is too intrusive.

daf

Quote from: Das Reboot on April 07, 2023, 07:20:34 PMI should listen to Hobbs more often, but that one bloody bed she uses is too intrusive.

Squeaky springs?

Chicory

Lamacq: a sweaty Neds T shirt cladded armpit pushing into a human face, forever

Quote from: Vodkafone on April 07, 2023, 05:32:25 PMIt does feel like he's on a mission to educate us about the music he grew up with, and a lot of it's great.

He's so full of shit, I don't reckon he's even heard the songs he played. He's forever pronouncing obvious things wrong.

Let's not forget he was in the marines, and the stories about him being a drug dealer (pre-indie band singer) seem only to have surfaced in the reasonably recent future. It's weird he does the fake Italian-New York thing so much since he's lived in Bath for about twenty years and once quite famously said that "Bath is where I feel most at home". He needs to drop the stupid fake accent/persona, and listen to some of the records his producer lines up for him before he presses play on them on the radio.

jobotic

My friend used to call his band the Bum Loving Fliminals so he's alright with me.

SteveDave

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on April 05, 2023, 09:46:20 AMsame post. pls confirm this was deliberate facetiousness I can't always tell

It wasn't meant to be. I had to Google "facetiousness" though.

Tbf, I never listened to the radio when I was *sometimes* being played on Radio 1, so horses fuck horses. 

ProvanFan

Famous Mortimer

dontpaintyourteeth

My theory about Lamacq is that he once had a snog in an indie club in 1992 and never got over it. But as someone mentioned previously on this thread, he really needs to be on Radio 2.

Love Radcliffe. My favourite radio presenter ever.

poodlefaker

Only show I listen to regularly is Gilles Peterson. Feels like he's been around for ever but still has a massive enthusiasm for the music and an amateurishness that's quite endearing. He comes from a differnet angle, which I like. The other week when they were all broadcasting from Salford for the 6Music festival and had been told to give the playlists a local slant he announced one track as "by one of THE. GREAT. Manchester bands....KALIMA!" which made me laugh, bcs who else at the station would even think of putting Kalima in their Top 20 Mcr acts?

Norton Canes

Meant to say, it's ironic that the only engaging discourse I can recall between Marc Riley and Gideon Coe was in lockdown when Riley would interject between Coe's recorded lines when playing his show trailers

Maybe that's how they'll do their shared show? Coe can record all his stuff and Riley can pretend to converse

Beagle 2

People being up in arms about radio schedule changes is tedious, it happens every time but nothing in broadcasting changes less than radio presenters. Been sick of Riley's show and his fucking jingles for over a decade now. Freshen it up.

Capt.Midnight

Quote from: daf on April 05, 2023, 10:56:50 AMIs she still doing that ridiculous Cadbury's caramel bunny whisper thing. Just talk normal, you pretentious wazzock!

You may remember that she used to present the Radio 1 rock show in a graveyard slot, sometime in the early 00's. Her persona was totally different, very energetic and enthusiastic.

Then she hopped on the dubstep bandwagon and completely changed persona. Really disingenuous. Gotta do what you can for career survival I guess!

Capt.Midnight

Quote from: Deskbound Cunt on April 10, 2023, 11:04:48 PMMy theory about Lamacq is that he once had a snog in an indie club in 1992 and never got over it. But as someone mentioned previously on this thread, he really needs to be on Radio 2.

I don't think he gets the audience numbers for Radio 2? Same with most of the other DJ's on there. They're stuck in their niche and too scared to change the format for fear of losing more listeners. For some DJ's, 6music seems to be the last chance saloon of BBC employment. They still get decent listener numbers, but it dwindles over time.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Beagle 2 on April 11, 2023, 06:45:22 PMPeople being up in arms about radio schedule changes is tedious, it happens every time but nothing in broadcasting changes less than radio presenters. Been sick of Riley's show and his fucking jingles for over a decade now. Freshen it up

The thing that makes me unreasonably annoyed about this is - no actually it's two things - one, the station doesn't seem to have a reason why they're effectively dropping Riley and Coe's shows - they've been on the station for a while but neither of them are exactly decrepit, they haven't expressed a wish to go and there's nothing about the audience figures being down. And two, there doesn't seem to be a plan to put anything better in their place - this 'New Music Fix Daily' sounds awful, despite the presence of Ravenscroft (who's okay in my book), like some half-hearted streaming-driven app of a show that doesn't require presenters with warmth or personality and will probably be farmed out to some AI avatar in the next few years (or worse, Chris Hawkins).

So for all that I'm averse to Riley's bluff Northern bloke persona, his preferred form of dreary indie that more than himself deserves the epithet 'lard' and yes, those fucking jingles that make me want to put the radio through the mouli, respect to him and Coe for carving out a niche and I can see why people are so irate they've been binned.

sweeper

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 11, 2023, 10:16:36 PMThe thing that makes me unreasonably annoyed about this is - no actually it's two things - one, the station doesn't seem to have a reason why they're effectively dropping Riley and Coe's shows

Why does a radio station need a reason to freshen up beyond wanting to freshen up? It's exactly what it's supposed to do. Presumably lessons were learned from Radio 1 thirty years ago about letting a station grow old with its listeners.

Personally I can't bear the weekday evening schedules. All that overley familiar old music, and new music that sounds like old music. It's been anamolous for a while, perhaps starting to become synonymous with 6music in some minds.

The problem is that Riley and Coe are indie music broadcasters, and indie music, because it refuses to absorb and express new ideas, is now a dead end. It's been dead for quite some time. 6music might as well rebrand itself as the station of something other than a dead music, something more forward looking and expansive.

I appreciate that none of this explains Lamacq.

The new show looks good to me. The equivalent slot on Radio 1 - Future Sounds with Clara Amfo - is great. Hopefully the 6music version will have a wide and positive remit.

Quote from: sweeper on April 12, 2023, 08:19:48 AMThe problem is that Riley and Coe are indie music broadcasters, and indie music, because it refuses to absorb and express new ideas, is now a dead end. It's been dead for quite some time. 6music might as well rebrand itself as the station of something other than a dead music, something more forward looking and expansive.

Well...that's not really true at all, it's just that 6 caters to a particularly middle-of-the-road niche of indie while ignoring a lot of the more interesting stuff happening in the margins. "Indie" isn't just a homogenous grey mass like the stuff Lamacq plays, there is a lot more of it out there now and a lot of it quirkier and stranger than anything 6 will touch.

I do agree that the main line-up of the station desperately needs refreshing with new talent though. The chair-rearranging exercise of about 4-5 years back, when they just put all the existing presenters in different slots, was a joke. At least they have finally started pushing some new presenters into more high profile slots but they haven't gone far enough really.

I'd much rather they'd axe Riley and keep Coe though, as I feel the former has sunk into a boring rut of just doing exactly the same show every single night, it's depressing to hear. Putting them both together isn't really going to solve anything I suspect.

sweeper

Quote from: Ron Maels Moustache on April 12, 2023, 09:49:24 AMWell...that's not really true at all, it's just that 6 caters to a particularly middle-of-the-road niche of indie while ignoring a lot of the more interesting stuff happening in the margins. "Indie" isn't just a homogenous grey mass like the stuff Lamacq plays, there is a lot more of it out there now and a lot of it quirkier and stranger than anything 6 will touch.

I agree that there is a lot of quirky and strange guitar music about, it's just that I think it's too quirky and individualistic to have any particular effect beyond existing. It doesn't influence anyone, doesn't reach a particularly wide audience, and is soon forgotten.

We all have our favourites, but I think that as a genre, guitar music has done its turn. Their doesn't seem to be much meaningful, lasting invention left in it.

It's relevant that the biggest alternative guitar band sensation of last year were called Wet Leg (!), and sounded like something that the cool kids of 1994 would have been indifferent about. Salad leap to mind. 6music slathered attention on them like a starving man at a wedding buffet, simulatenously auditioning for their own obsolescence. You can enjoy Wet Leg as much as you like, but you also have to admit that they are pointless.

Happy to be convinced otherwise, if you can name any acts from, say, the last 15 years that have provided vital fuel for the form.

willbo

is this pointless? I really like it and now I feel embarrassed it might be pointless. It does sound a little like Blondie or X Ray Spex I suppose.

now it's just occured to me that... no please no... Parquet Courts may be pointless? Not them!! Please tell me this still has a point ... any point... even if just to get me tapping my foot...

willbo

Quote from: Janie Jones on April 07, 2023, 04:54:14 PMI like it when Huey says with undisguised contempt, 'Now here's something from the playlist...'

I think the most open disinterest/dislike is when Craig Charles has to play Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs

Head Gardener

the Riley & Coe petition has nearly reached it's 10,000 likes, dunno it it makes a difference if it goes over, maybe the radio explodes

sweeper

Quote from: willbo on April 12, 2023, 12:57:30 PMis this pointless? I really like it and now I feel embarrassed it might be pointless. It does sound a little like Blondie or X Ray Spex I suppose.

now it's just occured to me that... no please no... Parquet Courts may be pointless? Not them!! Please tell me this still has a point ... any point... even if just to get me tapping my foot...

I did make the distinction between personal taste and the need for innovation.

And you've provided examples of recent guitar music drawing inspiration from its own past rather than the contemporary climate, so ...

jobotic

Quote from: willbo on April 12, 2023, 12:57:30 PMis this pointless? I really like it and now I feel embarrassed it might be pointless. It does sound a little like Blondie or X Ray Spex I suppose.

They could both be from thirty years ago though.