Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:00:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Frank Skinner axed from Absolute Radio

Started by Beagle 2, March 23, 2024, 02:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

https://www.itv.com/news/2024-03-23/frank-skinner-announces-departure-from-absolute-radio-after-15-years

I went to see Skinner this week and really enjoyed it, I've seen him a few times over the years and this was probably my favourite show. He didn't mention anything about this but I guess he already knew he'd got the chop from the Saturday gig.

The Absolute Radio show itself I'd come back to since Pierre Novellie became regular host, he had given it a real shot in the arm, but I don't know, maybe there were a load of die-hard Alun Cochrane fans who went when he was jettisoned. It seems unlikely, but you never know.

He did say he gets virtually no offers except travel documentaries these days, so I look forward to Frank Skinner's Venice of the Midlands on Channel 5.

steamed hams

Bit gutted about this, love listening to the podcast on a Saturday. I do think Pierre's the best of the co-hosts they've had alongside Frank and Emily so even more of a shame he didn't get a longer run in the role. Would be nice if they just started doing their own weekly podcast together, but maybe that's wishful thinking.

Utter Shit

I've no idea how many people were listening each week - Twitter seems suitably outraged but that could be more about my social bubble - so I'm not going to say it's a disgrace and a scandal etc, but on a personal level I'm really gutted. I've rarely missed an episode over the years and in a small way it's been one of the backbones of my life, a constabt when everything else was changing.

Hopefully there is a place for them somewhere on radio because the show was as good as ever and Pierre Novelli is easily the best of the permanent co-hosts they've had over the years, but even if they got an offer I wonder if they will carry on or treat it as an obvious time to move onto new things.

Apparently Frank slaughtered the execs on the air today but I've not managed to find the relevant bit on either the replay option on the Absolute site or on the podcast, so presumably it's been removed...anyone got a clip or know what was said?

Twilkes

There's a partial transcript on Chortle, hardly 'slaughtered' so I'd suggest part of it is your social media bubble.

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2024/03/23/55231/frank_skinner_dropped_from_absolute_radio

steamed hams

Today's show was a pre-record, so if anything was said that crossed the line I doubt it would have been broadcast in the first place. Only halfway through the podcast but there hasn't been any "slaughtering" really, Frank has joked about it quite a lot and has made it pretty clear he would rather stay but nothing more than that.

Des Wigwam

Was only thinking about his show the other day. The podcast / repeat was a kitchen staple but dropped out of rotation and I was thinking of going back. Hopefully they will keep an archive up that I can work through.

He's one of my favourite comics despite a few bug bears and would love to see him perform one day.

Yeah, this is a real shame - I was listening to today's podcast earlier and genuinely went through that "denial" stage of grief when he announced that. And yes, with Pierre Novelli involved it does seem like it's the best it's ever been - I've never listened to it on the radio, which may be part of the problem, but it does seem sad that breakfast commercial radio can't be dealing with Saxon architecture, A.E. Housman and the Venerable Bede.

jonnyunitus

Quote from: Utter Shit on March 23, 2024, 02:43:01 PMI've no idea how many people were listening each week - Twitter seems suitably outraged but that could be more about my social bubble - so I'm not going to say it's a disgrace and a scandal etc, but on a personal level I'm really gutted. I've rarely missed an episode over the years and in a small way it's been one of the backbones of my life, a constabt when everything else was changing.

Hopefully there is a place for them somewhere on radio because the show was as good as ever and Pierre Novelli is easily the best of the permanent co-hosts they've had over the years, but even if they got an offer I wonder if they will carry on or treat it as an obvious time to move onto new things.

Apparently Frank slaughtered the execs on the air today but I've not managed to find the relevant bit on either the replay option on the Absolute site or on the podcast, so presumably it's been removed...anyone got a clip or know what was said?
Quote from: Utter Shit on March 23, 2024, 02:43:01 PMI've no idea how many people were listening each week - Twitter seems suitably outraged but that could be more about my social bubble - so I'm not going to say it's a disgrace and a scandal etc, but on a personal level I'm really gutted. I've rarely missed an episode over the years and in a small way it's been one of the backbones of my life, a constabt when everything else was changing.

Yeah this pretty much sums up how I feel too. Been there from the start when they used to have guests, every week, and an extra midweek show. I loved the Gareth years, mainly due to the affectionate ribbing he used to get from Frank and Emily. Pierre was a great addition after the nothingness of Alun. I guess the creeks have finally risen...