Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 10:37:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

50 Greatest Comedy Catchphrases

Started by BagJob, June 07, 2006, 12:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BagJob

More bollocks from Channel 4's 50 Biggest Chimpanzee Cocks franchise.

Details here.

Nominees include: "D'oh!", "A-ha!", and "Oooooh Betty!"

Nathan Barley's well known catchphrase "Totally Mexico" also makes it onto the list?!

Catalogue Trousers

What? No "During the war..."?

What a pile of pish.

And  "Chamone Motherfucker"? Bloody hell, that's desperate. As is the whole bloody "idea".

Also, natch, mainly shows from the last few years. Python, Howerd, etc getting a few token nominations because everyone likes them, but whither The Goons?

"You silly twisted boy..."
"You can't get the wood, y'know!"
"Needle nardle noo."
"You rotten swine, you - you deaded me!"

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Marv Orange

They are really starting to scrape the barrel. Its only a matter of time before they actually do the top 50 top 50 progs, in an ironic sense, of course.

'Hey, you remember all those jokes about top 50 top 50 progs?'

'Yeah'

'We're gonna do it!'

'What!'

'Thats right buddy we are gonna blow your mind with irony'

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Ay caramba! I can't believe it's come to this.

purlieu

Can't they just show an episode of The Fast Show?  It'd be a lot easier.

purlieu

Quote from: "BagJob"Nathan Barley's well known catchphrase "Totally Mexico" also makes it onto the list?!
Jesus, I thought this was a joke.
Surely "Peace and fucking" is the 'obvious' catchphrase from Nathan Barley?

'Well Jackson' surely?

'Mulva!' or 'Michael!' would get my vote, as I keep repeating them much to my bird's distress. I get stuck in loops a bit you see.

I mean why is the guy in the SIX THOUSAND DOLLAR SUIT explaining himself to the people who don't make that in 3 months?! COME ON!

Brutus Beefcake

How can something like "Don't mention the war" be a catchphrase when it was only used in one episode?

jimmy jazz

"I've made a huuuuge mistake," shirley? And do Tobias' repeated slip ups count as a catchphrase? I wouldn't mind "Top 50 Tobias Euphemisms," actually.

purlieu

I dunno, but it's preferable to any of the Catherine Tate ones in there (of which there are several.  HOW?)

Catalogue Trousers

Brutus:

Because people keep on saying the bloody thing, that's why. Along with "wafer thin mint" - and surely that should be "waffer-theen meent"?

QuoteI dunno, but it's preferable to any of the Catherine Tate ones in there (of which there are several. HOW?)

Erm, two, surely? Which isn't exactly "several". Although I agree that neither of them should be in the running. And I'm just surprised that the oh-so-hilarious "It's a fucking liberty" didn't get in there as well.

BagJob

Quote from: "purlieu"
Quote from: "BagJob"Nathan Barley's well known catchphrase "Totally Mexico" also makes it onto the list?!
Jesus, I thought this was a joke.
Surely "Peace and fucking" is the 'obvious' catchphrase from Nathan Barley?
I notice that in the little description for "Totally Mexico" they go to the trouble of explaining who Nathan Barley is and what the catchphrase actually means.

I dare say that this programme will top the 100 Most Irritating Programmes chart next year.

I'd give 50 Greatest Money Shots half a look.

Catalogue Trousers

Hey, then they could get The Gush in there somewhere!

TheWizard

I bet they wish they could have agreed on a way to spell Brent's grunting during that dance.

Two stupid ones better than the Barely one; Curb's "Pretty, pretty, pretty good" and Peep Show's "I win"

Not really a comedy show but the "Oh!"'s in The Sopranos alongside "It's a retirement community!" are pretty funny.

monkhouse terror

Quote"Yadda yadda yadda" - Elaine Benes, Seinfeld
It was George's girlfriend
QuoteOnly arriving in the 8th season of the American super-sitcom, "yadda yadda yadda" became one of the things the show was best known for.
Wrong
QuoteJulia Louise-Dreyfus's character, Elaine Benes, (Seinfeld's ex-girlfriend) would throw the three yaddas in at the end of a story
Once

Well this is obviously a very well thought out list.

Marv Orange

Quote from: "monkhouse terror"

They should have credited that to the Father in the Tazmanian Devil cartoon.

Marv Orange

Quote"Garlic bread: it's the future. I've tasted it" - Brian Potter, Phoenix Nights

Has anyone ever said this apart from PK?

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Is 'Oh fuck off Channel 4' by The Viewing Public in there?

mycroft

Lordy, that's grim.

Although maybe we should all block-vote for something like "to me, to you" or "you'll like this, but not a lot" in some dastardly manner.

Garam

Quote from: "Big mundane list with words"Fonzie - "Aaaaaayyyy"

'Eyyyyy', surely?

This will re-ignite several long forgotten catchphrases. Also, 'I win!'? What!?

Looking forward to hearing the stories behind some of these though.

Quote from: "Peter Kay"Well basically ah thought garlic bread was a bit o'strange concept, like.

Surprised at the inclusion of 'ullo John got a new motor?", though it should really be 'didn't you kill my brother'.

Not Seymour

Quote from: "Marv Orange"

Nah, you're thinking of "blah blah blah, yackedy-shmackedy." I remember this 'cause I found him to be the only entertaining character in the whole thing. Oh, and that Dingo who collected bottle caps.

Marv Orange

I can't be arsed to look through the list again were there any lee and herring phrases?

easytarget

Quote from: "a bad idea""Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on" - Mrs Doyle, Father Ted
So a catchphrase is something that any character says more than once is it?

Quote from: "a bad idea""Garlic bread: it's the future. I've tasted it" - Brian Potter, Phoenix Nights
So a catchphrase is something that any character says once is it?

No "Bite my shiny metal ass" or "Good news everyone" from Futurama either.

Marv Orange

The Garlic Bread catchprase spread like wild fire in pizza places, italian restuarants after that episode.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Wasn't that: "Blah, blah, blah, yackety schmackety"

chand

Quote"Garlic bread: it's the future. I've tasted it" - Brian Potter, Phoenix Nights

Has anyone ever said this apart from PK?

Sort of. People shouting 'Garlic bread?' DID catch on, but not as a result of that bit of Phoenix Nights, it was from the 'Live At The Top Of The Tower' video. It looks like Channel 4 have restricted it to sitcom/sketch show catchphrases though, and have had to crowbar in this version of the garlic bread thing from Phoenix Nights. Which was only said once in the show and doesn't therefore constitute a catchphrase.

The garlic bread bit in the live show was alright in its context, but once it became something drunk twats shout on the bus and it ended up on fucking t-shirts with no context it was just stupid. I remember a load of idiots shouting it on a coach in Tenerife or somesuch place about six years ago when it was still fairly new, I'm amazed anyone still thinks it's funny just to go 'Garlic bread? Garlic? And bread?'. Or even worse, having it as their fucking ringtone. If you watch the shitty music channels on Freeview they have ringtone ads where some guy who sounds nothing like Peter Kay says 'Garlic bread?' and presumably idiots still fucking buy it. Now. In 2006.

Marv Orange

Quote from: "Sexton Brackets Drugbust"

Wasn't that: "Blah, blah, blah, yackety schmackety"

probably

The Mumbler

Even by the standards of clip shows, this has to be a particular bummer of an idea.  What are they going to do, show a montage for each candidate of character saying their catchphrase?  One line repeated several times?  Interspersed by cunts explaining why it's funny.  Aargh times a million, and only worth doing if the programme lasts one minute.