Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,802
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:35:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dr Katz: Professional Therapist

Started by Cack Hen, June 13, 2006, 11:37:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cack Hen

Any fans? I'm just getting into it as a torrent site are putting up fan-made DVDs of each season and they're bloody well made too (PM me if you want to know where from) They're about 4.3gb per disc per season, and it's about 2 or 3 discs per season, so not for the impatient or bad Internets lot.

But anyway, I am loving this. The animation and the whole improvised style is really soothing and relaxing, I like to watch it late at night. The "clients" are good too, they're essentially just standup comedians doing their routine on the couch but it works really well. Emo Phillips was on the last one I just watched and it was fantastic.

Ignatius_S

Haven't seen the show since the mid-90s, so my recollections are hazy but happy.

Great show!

Little Hoover

Yeah it was good, but it gets a little repetitive after a while and a little inconsistent what with half the show relying on comedians.  I preferd Home Movies though which had a lot of the same cast and crew behind it but grew to have proper fluid animation and had fuller stories and was just more playful and silly (anyone here know it)

DuncanC

Brilliant, unique show. Dom Irrera is probably my favourite "patient" on that, followed by Louis C.K. But the improvised dialogue between the comedians is great too, I can listen to episodes over and over again.

The man himself has multiple sclerosis, I've just found out.

Little Hoover

Yeah I remember Dom and Ray Romano seemed to be on it a lot. and Ray was great as well actually even though I really don't care for 'Everybody Loves Raymond'

The Fanciful Norwegian

There's a legit DVD of the first season out in the U.S. Very amusing commentaries and dirt cheap as well (under $15 online, although shipping to the UK probably makes it less of a bargain). Buy it so they'll release the other seasons too.

DJ One Record

Quote from: "Little Hoover"I preferd Home Movies though which had a lot of the same cast and crew behind it but grew to have proper fluid animation and had fuller stories and was just more playful and silly (anyone here know it)

Yeah, love Home Movies, although the first season has to be my personal pick. I feel it lost something after it became half-scripted and ditched the Squigglevision in favour of Flash - it became more like a regular animated sitcom (not that there's anything wrong with that but it did feel like something different when I first saw it).

Christ, I used to absolutely love this.  I remember that it was showed on ITV late at night during the mid-90s as a part of the Comedy Central show or some other such thing.  I think it was one of those cases where a channel bought a programme with a view to just filling up their graveyard schedules, and didn't bother to look at it.  As a result, they didn't realise what a gem they had.

Cack Hen

"Ben: I'm going to put my fingers in your ears to center your energy

Katz: Okay...okay I can't hear anything

Ben: You're an idiot.

Katz: I can't hear anything.

Ben: You're an idiot

Katz: I can't hear anything

Ben: You're an idiot

Katz: I can't hear anything

Ben: Okay, now I want you to just close your eyes, okay?

Katz: Ok.

Ben: I'm giving you the finger.

Katz: Ben, I can hear you. "

"Ben: I take it from your hysterical laughter that somebody from our immediate family has just died."

DuncanC

I love this bit from the "Movies" episode (audio only) Mainly the very last bit, but I didn't like to isolate it.

ninestonecreature

I remember seeing an interview with the flesh and blood Dr Katz on some TV show years ago. The interviewer asked him about his family and he said: 'Well, I'm married with two beautiful children. I also have two other children who aren't so attractive...'

Little Hoover

One of the patients called Bill Braudis: My dad wanted to quit smoking so he tried that thing with the needles, what's it called erm heroin.

Muel 2

Ah, yes! Ben Katz has to be one of my favourite comedy characters.

QuoteBen Katz Hydroponic Farming - Because it's fun.

Quote from: "Little Hoover"One of the patients called Bill Braudis: My dad wanted to quit smoking so he tried that thing with the needles, what's it called erm heroin.

Yea, that was where I first heard the "it's really more-ish" joke.

Mister Six

Little Hoover

Quote from: "DJ One Record"
Quote from: "Little Hoover"I preferd Home Movies though which had a lot of the same cast and crew behind it but grew to have proper fluid animation and had fuller stories and was just more playful and silly (anyone here know it)

Yeah, love Home Movies, although the first season has to be my personal pick. I feel it lost something after it became half-scripted and ditched the Squigglevision in favour of Flash - it became more like a regular animated sitcom (not that there's anything wrong with that but it did feel like something different when I first saw it).
I disagree it was always a lot more story driven than Dr Katz and it made for a slightly odd middle ground that didn't quite work as well. Of course it's stil a middle ground later on. And also squiggle vision was good for Dr Katz but was hard to look at in Home Movies.
My season 4 dvd just arrived today actually (there were 4 seasons in all in case you don't know)

Incidentally if your planning to import american dvd's try Playusa.com I orderd it on friday and it arrived today and there's no delivery charge.
There's supposed to be some kind of tax charges of about £8 if it's over a certain price and while I've never been charged it, I know other people have.

Mister Six

Be dareful about ordering too much from the US. My parents did that and a very unpleasent man from customs turned up and accused them of buying things in the US with the intention of selling them on. He promised that from now on, anything they ordered would be picked out and have import tax added to it.

So they send it round to my auntie's instead.