Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,802
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 05:51:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fantasy Football returns!

Started by Munday's Chylde, June 01, 2004, 09:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"What did Shelley mean by 'complacent'? (Or did he just let the word hang there, like 'dated', as if it's obvious what it meant?)

No idea what the contemptible dickhead meant. I've tried looking for on online version of the article, but no luck.

Why do seeminlgy intelligent people like him? Because he thinks CHris Morris is cool, or that John Peel only plays music by white indie boys?

gazzyk1ns

I keep reading "Greavsie" as "Gervaise", must be a subconscious thing, bearing in mind what forum we're in...

I've been mildly disappointed with this latest run of FFL so far but only because of all the great memories of how it used to be... I still enjoy watching it. The clips are still excellent though, it's hard to pinpoint exactly what's "not so good"... rose tinted specs maybe? I don't think so, maybe it's the guests... I mean, Alistair Campbell!?

Tokyo Sexwhale

Can anyone who saw that Fantasy Football trailer, (the one just after the Sweden - Italy match)  please tell me what the music playing over it was?

benthalo

I'm also trying to put my finger on it, gazzyk1ns. It's probably a very conscious knowledge of the expectations on them but rather than being lazy about it and pleasing what looks like a very easy-to-please audience with dumb behaviour, they are attempting to do angular jokes and are prepared to lose people. I actually think this current series demands an understanding of the game more than ever before. Certainly, I was baffled by the majority of episode 2.

For the most part, I've enjoyed this series. The technical breakdowns are the sort of thing B&S thrive on so those were good fun and I'd put Jimmy Greaves' Phoenix From The Flames up amongst the greats. Last night's as a whole was well up to standard.

weirdbeard

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"Has anyne seen Jim Shelley's swipes at this in the Mirror? As if that turd would know anything about comecy. He has the temerity to call it 'complacent', whilst 'bigging up' IANAA (a show which is loved by those it satirises - ie, Bad Opinion Men like Jim Shelley).

There was an artlcle in the Daily Mail earlier this week which called them hypocritical for taking the piss out of Ron Atkinson's racist comments after their infamous piss taking out of black footballer Jason Lee's 'pineapple' haircut a few years ago.

weirdbeard

Quote from: "benthalo"I'm also trying to put my finger on it, gazzyk1ns. It's probably a very conscious knowledge of the expectations on them but rather than being lazy about it and pleasing what looks like a very easy-to-please audience with dumb behaviour, they are attempting to do angular jokes and are prepared to lose people. I actually think this current series demands an understanding of the game more than ever before. Certainly, I was baffled by the majority of episode 2.

For the most part, I've enjoyed this series. The technical breakdowns are the sort of thing B&S thrive on so those were good fun and I'd put Jimmy Greaves' Phoenix From The Flames up amongst the greats. Last night's as a whole was well up to standard.

The main difference from this series to the last  is, a) The advertisement break being in totally the wrong place, b) A mass of pre-recorded material and c) A lack of guests.  Maybe after watching best-of compilation tapes over the last 6 years, I've got an over-inflated opinion of it.  

Interestingly enough, whilst going through a mass of blank tapes a couple of months ago, i found some old Fantasy Football League episodes, 2 from Series 1 and 1 from Series 2.   Series 1 is far less action-packed in comparison to later series and the live ones.  Statto's Newsround and the more serious league-based discussions take a lot of the comedy out of the show.  Plus Series 1 didn't have a song at the end, just applause over the credits.   And there was far less pre-recorded sketches either.

benthalo

I stand from the vantage point of having the whole 1998 run on tape, a few earlier editions and all of the video releases (most of which were a total rip-off). I genuinely don't recognise a huge drop in quality.

randy_mong

I've put episode 10 of Fantasy World Cup here:

http://www.madden88.freeserve.co.uk/torrents/

I'll try to get the remaining 6 out over the next couple of weeks.

DuncanC

Quote from: "randy_mong"I've put episode 10 of Fantasy World Cup here:

http://www.madden88.freeserve.co.uk/torrents/

I'll try to get the remaining 6 out over the next couple of weeks.
Thanks again for this, they're great (although why does the quality dip for the end credits? I can understand on a film or something where it's just white text, but there's usually just as much going on in the credits as the main show in Fantasy Football)

randy_mong

No idea why that is happening. When I'm extracting them from the DVD, it creates 2 VOB files. The 2nd one is about 1 minute long, and it must be that one that the quality is less. I'll try to sort it out for the remaining ones.

rjpeters

I thought tonights show was fantastic, although the fact that everyone was in such a great mood after the England win helped greatly.

Gary Megson's joke about "I've seen some Arseholes on that bench before.." was genius and Skinner did look quite surprised when he said it.

ClaudiusMaximus

I recorded all 13 episodes of Fantasy Football Euro 2004 as XVID+MP3 AVI, 83MB per 22min episode, in my Soulseek shares (user claudiusmaximus@linux) directory /public/1/claude/media/video/comedy/, in total it's about 1GB.

Edited to add: If someone has a tracker, I can seed a torrent.

WoShade

Ta for all these episodes. Great stuff.

Godzilla Bankrolls

So, no more then?

I think it's a great format for Baddiel and Skinner to utilise their talents, but I assume it won't be back until the next football tournament. I know that Skinner's working on a new series of Shane, and I doubt that they particularly want to do Unplanned again - so what is Baddiel going to do now?

I thought the final shot of the series managed to sum up their idiosyncratic style very well - Baddiel's brother Ivor dressed as a goalie, sat with Skinner's elder brother (dressed as Kathy Burke from Gimme Gimme Gimme).

IVOR: That was crap, wasn't it?

SKINNER'S BROTHER: It was still better than Unplanned!

Jemble Fred

I had a piss right next to Ivor Baddiel once. It was in a gents public lavatory in London Town. And it didn't get sexy.

True story.

ClaudiusMaximus

Quote from: "ClaudiusMaximus"I recorded all 13 episodes of Fantasy Football Euro 2004 as XVID+MP3 AVI, 83MB per 22min episode
If someone has a tracker, I can seed a torrent.

Here be the torrent: http://www.zeroandone.co.uk/tracker/details.php?id=4

weirdbeard

Not quite the return of Fantasy Football, but the next best thing...

http://www.baddielandskinner.com/

Despite being hosted on the most annoying website in the world....ever!