Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:05:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Arrested Development - Series 2 - Thursdays at 11pm BBC4, repeated on BBC2 at 11.15 on Sundays

Started by butnut, November 08, 2004, 11:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

I thought it was a homage to the Turner prize entry a few years ago that copied the Buster Keaton film, but did it really slowly and therefore made it art.

[/Ian Hislop]

butnut

2 more tiny jokes from the previous series:

1) On the montage of Kitty and George Snr.'s possible child, there's a reference to Lindsay's company from series 1
2) Where George snr is beaten by the Mexican police - he struggles for the Spanish for brother - of course, we all know it's 'Hermano'.

imitationleather

There was also a reference back to the whole Portugal/South America confusion from last season.

butnut

Oh yes. And George Snr nicks Gob's catchphrase "I've made a huge mistake"

And one of the best lines:

"She had all kinds of orgasms"

EDIT - at 17'45"(of the torrent I have) of episode 2 where the house falls down you can see what looks like the man pulling the string to pull the wall down!

EDIT 2: This man in red:

Godzilla Bankrolls

butnut

Who's seen show 3? Another good one, although probably not as strong as the start of the series. Quite a 'madcap' episode in some ways. Am going to have to watch it a few more times to decide how good it is - what a shame!

tony peanuts

Just seen it.  Another excellent episode I thought, very well scripted.  Loved the private investigator, especially his reveal at the end.

God, it's a lot harder to find things to say when you genuinely enjoy a programme isn't it?

Tom Hedonist

s02ep03 - the best so far. Everytime I think of Gob shouting "You're the chicklet! Not me! Coca-coca-coca-coca!" I fall about laughing. Fickle as I am, he's rapidly becoming my favourite character.

For some reason I really noticed the acting of George Micheal in this episode - but not in an obvious sense. Through his facial expressions, he really seems to display the fears and insecurities of teenagers.

The whole Anne thing is great: "What? Is she funny or something?"

I'd lay money on George Snr still being alive. I know we saw that clip of him saying "I couldn't get the money", and on at least two occassions they've told us he's dead. But I'm convinced its a scam to get away from the authorities and possibly his secretary also.

Peking O

"You accused me of being an Anne-hog"

The other great thing about George Michael is his clothes. Perfect awkward teenage fashion, shirt tucked awkwardly into trousers and so on.

imitationleather

I thought that was the best episode EVAAAAH! Amazingly superb, gosh.

Expect the usual quote-o-rama once I've gained my bearings again.

Ben Ordinary

"Make love in your own hand...MOTHER" was the line that did it for me. Honestly though, I mso happy I raced ahead and downloaded the complete season 1 so I could get onto the new series straight away. A bloody brilliant show and it makes me consider one of 'dems moiders' that it hasnt got aother US viewers to keep it in the safe zone for a full season.

Personally, Im amazed BBC2 have stuck with it so far, who suspects a Christmas spunking of them though, like Malcolm In The Middle frequently suffers towards the end of its various runs.

Question is - Do you WANT it to become one of those huge shows everyone is talking about and quoting?

imitationleather

That's a good point. I have no idea what the ratings are like, but it's a tricky show to stick with and you can't really join it mid-season. That will definitely go against it.

I think I'd willingly take it becoming massive and people endlessly quoting it if it meant it didn't get axed.

imitationleather

"Hey, check out who's on that hog in the rearview mirror."
"George Michael!"

That line's worth the double post... Ohh yeah.

butnut

Has anyone found a torrent for S2E4 yet? I've been looking throughout the day with no luck. And to help matters suprnova seems to be broken.

I need my AD fix!

butnut

Damn, according to TV Tome, it's not on this week. Damn:

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/EpisodeGuideSummary/showid-17005/Arrested_Development/

By the way, there's a ridiculous amount of background information on that site. For example, did you know in last week's episode:

QuoteWhat Lupe says in Spanish literally means that she has to take care of a retard. The subtitles say she must take care of Buster.

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/EpisodeReviewPage/showid-17005/epid-372034/blockid-56402/

imitationleather

Oh, I've been trying to get on SuprNova for the last gawd knows how long n'all (it's down). No Arrested Development?! Can this week get any worse?

Peking O

Part of me died last night. As the tears gently poured down my rosy cheeks when Buster sauntered into his father's funeral in that military garb, I knew I would never again laugh so long, or indeed, so hard. At anything. Ever.

Darrell

Quote from: "Peking O"Part of me died last night. As the tears gently poured down my rosy cheeks when Buster sauntered into his father's funeral in that military garb, I knew I would never again laugh so long, or indeed, so hard. At anything. Ever.

I haven't seen the ep of Arrested Development mentioned, but surely this is just the same joke as the Only Fools and Horses special eight years ago with Del and Rodney bursting in as Batman and Robin?

Was there a follow-up line to equal "but we was going 'der-ner-ner-ner-nerner-ner' and everything"?

Erm, as you were.

Peking O

Actually, it wasn't the fact that he was wearing military garb, or that it was a funeral - it was more the way he was wearing it. It's pretty hard to describe and won't seem funny if I try, so I won't go down that route. But I haven't seen that episode of OFAH so I'm not sure.

butnut

Peking's right. This might be the best yet. I've just watched it, and I'm going to watch it again straight away. The quality of this show is simply unbeliavable.

And Darrell - it's nothing like the OFAH joke, from what I remember of that one.     As Mr O said, like quite a lot of 'physical' humour, trying to describe it in words is really difficult and won't do it any justice.

Ben Ordinary

It really wasnt anything like the OFAH number, Darn. I was thinking how it was merely a good ep and not a great one like recent weeks when - bickety bam - Buster runs in. It should be noted that the uniform is actually a male strippers' army uniform. As others have said, it really has to be seen to be truly appreciated. Sad to think that if it was a UK show that moment would be the new "Brent dance" for sure.

tony peanuts

That was brilliant - I've just watched the latest episode twice, back to back, which is unheard of for me.  By far the best comedy around at the moment.  I'm really surprised you're not all over this Darrell, I'd have thought it's something you'd love.

QuoteThe very fact that you call making love 'pop-pop' tells me you're not ready.
Heh heh

Nice to see a return of the Aztec Tomb from the 1st episode too.
And isn't Henry Winkler fantastic as the attourney?  His appearances are always a highlight for me.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Did anyone notice Ben Stiller's appearance? Looks like he'll be turning up as a rival for Gob soon.

Is 'poof' common parlance in America then?

imitationleather

Oh gosh, I was absolutely howling at the military uniform bit. Well worth the two week wait for this episode.

"It's all regulation." Hahahaha!

I think it every week, but how can they top this? The quality of this series is simply astounding, we're watching something very special develop.

EDIT: Ooh, that's strange. Why does it say I've edited this post even though no one has replied?

butnut

Another good episode, maybe not quite the brilliance of last week's, but still very good. My highlights:

The jokes at the expense of the partriot act
Lindsay's voice and the T-shirt she gets (as well as her going after Steve Holt)
Steve Holt's year photos
Buster on the swing
Tobias in the bath (and note the ringtone!)
"We blew it" - a lovely reference!

Ah, there's loads more. I'll watch it again in a bit to remind myself of them.

imitationleather

The back referencing to earlier episodes is simply superb in Arrested Development because it never gets bogged down in it or bases whole jokes around the fact that they're referring to something that has been done before (which is what The Simpsons did a lot for a while, even cobbling together whole episodes from back references).

My favourite one in this weeks episode was when Oscar (or rather, George dressed as Oscar) said he smoked cannabis like a cigarette, which is what George Michael said he was going to do with the drugs he was buying off Gob in season one.

Gosh, I'm sad.

imitationleather

Now that SuprNova's gone does anyone know where the next episode can be downloaded?

Godzilla Bankrolls

Quote from: "imitationleather"Now that SuprNova's gone does anyone know where the next episode can be downloaded?

Try here: http://www.tv-swarm.com/

imitationleather