Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 04:54:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Blackadder to return?

Started by Hornet, February 09, 2005, 11:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "TotalNightmare"[Apart from the 'After The Happy Ending' Only Fools and Horses that i thought were a genuine mistake... it is the exact same thing Disney did with all those damn DTV sequels 'Cinderella'  - Happily Ever After.. Fuck off.

Exactly, I totally agree – OFAH had been perfectly ended – there should have been no comeback at all after that sunset, it was a disgrace.

But then there are very few shows that do have a supposedly hermetically-sealed bit of closure like that.

TJ

A bit off-topic, but has anyone ever heard that Woman's Hour appearance by Blackadder and Baldrick? I've seen a transcript, but just wondered if the real thing was any good or not.

lankinpark

The problem with reunions and revivals is that they have a Greatest Hits feel to them. A sense that the performers have to retain the feel of the original. And, in a way that makes perfect sense - why revisit something if it's going to be massively different? Why not use the same performers with a different show? But it does also make it very difficult to do something new under the same banner.

It's Catch-22, really. A new Blackadder full of cunning plans and sarcasm would be a complete waste of time. But one without the trademarks would be a different series. Why not just write a different historical sitcom with a different character dynamic?

I'd like to see it, personally. Chances are it'd be shite, but if everyone involved pulled their fingers out of their arses, it could be excellent. And they'd have to be selective with the main cast. There are too many people associated with Blackadder to give everyone a major part. And if the inevitable Rik Mayall guest appearance was as a new character, that'd be nice.

Jemble Fred

Well, aye, Mr Park, I agree. But I do insist that Miriam Margolyes and Jim Broadbent are in it as well. And Warren Clarke, if there's time.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Every time I see Stephen Fry being great on a chat show, I think 'I wish him and Hugh Laurie would do more stuff together'. After all, Fry still seems to have the same spleen-venting anger he's always had, and he seems sharper than so many other people.

But I *wouldn't* want them to do another series of A Bit Of. It wouldn't work, simply because - even if they do retain said anger/sharpness - they're not the same people they were in 1989. It would be a flabby, Free As A Bird version of a great show rather than a continuation of one. If they were to do TV comedy again, I'd want it to be a different format entirely.

Jemble Fred

Free As A Bird – a truly beautiful, spine-chillingly good song.

'A Bit Of' was a sketch show – Intros, voxpops and sketches. So, erm, what could possibly be wrong with more Fry & Laurie sketches? What's the alternative? A sitcom where they play grumpy neighbours or something?

TotalNightmare

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"Every time I see Stephen Fry being great on a chat show, I think 'I wish him and Hugh Laurie would do more stuff together'. After all, Fry still seems to have the same spleen-venting anger he's always had, and he seems sharper than so many other people.

But I *wouldn't* want them to do another series of A Bit Of. It wouldn't work, simply because - even if they do retain said anger/sharpness - they're not the same people they were in 1989. It would be a flabby, Free As A Bird version of a great show rather than a continuation of one. If they were to do TV comedy again, I'd want it to be a different format entirely.

But... if they did a sketch show, with a different name and structure, but was basically still a sketch show... would that really be any different?

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

I'd just like to see them sat in armchairs having a chat, personally.

TotalNightmare

Quote from: "Emergency Lalla Ward Ten"I'd just like to see them sat in armchairs having a chat, personally.

that would never float with the edgy BBC 3!

In fact, thats one thing i am fucking sick of reading... EDGY!

In nearly every press release or blurb for a new comedy show the world EDGY is slapped in.

I recently heard about a new C4 sketch show called something like WHolesome Foursome that had edgy bashed into the blurb more times than i have used it here.

kidsick5000

Okay. Im a huge fan of Backadder II. Third was okay. Forth... well.

I know it was just an incarnation if you like, but Blackadder Goes Forth (Im probably not spelling this right so pedants hold off a bit) finished the whole Blackadder thing just as well as Del Boy and Rodney finally becoming rich.

Blackadder II has all the energy and fire of young talent. Something that would not be there again, just by the very fact of individual sucess.

And some of Blackadder 4 is just felt like retreading old ground.

I seriously believe that while talent is not necessarily finite, the magic of a project, for want of a better word, is.

Actually forget all that. If they are going to do it, they should do the Dallas (tv show) idea they said they had a long time ago.  Yeah. A rich eighties version.

JCBillington

Quote from: "another Mr. Lizard"
Quote from: "Muteki"Tony Robinson said exactly the same thing on Going Live in about 1990.

I thought this sounded familiar. Wasn't the series (and the band) going to be called 'The Blackadder Five'?

This is odd. I remember someone at school circa 1992 telling us there was going to be a new series called 'Blackadder Takes Five' in which he was the leader of a big band. He was taking the piss of course, but he kind of got the occupation right.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Quote from: "I"I'd just like to see them sat in armchairs having a chat, personally.

Actually, I think that about most comedians. Formats always get in the way.

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

The other idea Curtis mooted circa 1990 was 'Blackadder In The 5th' - ie, a Tom Brown's Schooldays type thing (Fry as headmaster, Hugh Laurie as head boy, etc).

weirdbeard

Radio 1 are giving away an unfinished Blackadder script in some Comic Relief competition.  Richard Curtis himself gave it to Chris Moyles when he and Lenny Henry went in for an interview last week.  It's called "Blackadder In Bethlehem" and would have seen Blackadder running the inn that Mary & Joseph stayed at on the night of Jesus' birth, Mary would have slept in "Baldrick's bedroom" (the manger), and "a talking turkey" was going to be involved somehow.  No idea how complete it was or what it was going to be used for, although I'd have thought it would have been for a Christmas Special.

burpmitosis

How about setting it in the Wild West?
:D
I would like to see this just for Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie.
Whoever said that thing about talent needs their brain reseating, these chaps have the stuff coming out of every orifice.

Ciarán2

Quote from: "The Mumbler"Bands reforming: I feel the same way, I'm afraid.  Pixies were my favourite group in the world in 1990 - but I'm in two minds about them coming back.  Call me a cynic - I can't help it.  Maybe bands should never announce they're splitting up - it always feels easier when you're not sure when they announce new material.  Kraftwerk's gig at the Royal Festival Hall last March was possibly my favourite night out of the 21st century so far, but it didn't feel like a comeback, even though they had bugger all new material to play.  It just felt right.

There was a brilliant quote by Ian McCulloch in BBC2's Rock Family Trees in 1995. He was talking about his discussions with Will Sergeant about a possible reformation of Echo and The Bunnymen in the wake of Electrafixion. Apparently Will said something about band reunions always working out terribly. Ian asked him to name an example and Will offered a feeble "Er....Mud..." (But it was the way old lippy said it...)

Best concert I've ever been to was Kraftwerk in Dublin last year. And I was watching the Beatles Anthology DVD over christmas and the footage of the fab three sat around a table in George Harrisson's kitchen, chatting about the old days, made my heart sing. But yes, "Free As A Bird" remains wretched.

On the Blackadder thing, I agree with whoever it was who said that it would be full of guest appearances. I can't imagine a new series being as genuinely sharp and nasty as Richard Curtis' characteristic work was in the 80s. I fear it would just pander to fans of "Love Actually" (which I found enjoyable, but agree it's a different universe to Not The Nine O'Clock News").

Ciarán2

Quote from: "kidsick5000"Okay. Im a huge fan of Backadder II. Third was okay. Forth... well.

What did you think of the first Blackadder series? Have you seen that? That was very different to the series which followed. Maybe they could re-invent the character similarly for a new series. Not that they ever would though, sarky Slackbladder being such a crowd-pleaser...

Emergency Lalla Ward Ten

Giving away a script of an unused Blackadder makes no sense, unless they assume that the bunch of papers itself is valuable. Then again, Curtis is the kind of dick who wouldn't keep a copy.

Why don't they print it up into little booklets and sell it for a quid each?

Or put the pilot out on DVD?

Come on, Comic Relief - do something good. It's for charity.

Santa's Boyfriend

I've loved every incarnation of Blackadder, including The Cavileer Years and Christmas Carol.  I hated Back and Forth, but I guess that's to be expected.  Part of the appeal was, for some reason, the play-like nature of it all.  I would love to see another series.  The new Hitchhikers series proved to me that old magic can be rekindled, but they would still have to pull something pretty impressive out of the bag.  Perhaps a Henry VIII storyline, or one from the dark ages.

I doubt it's possible to recapture what they had though.  All of them have moved on creatively.

Jemble Fred

All these fears that new Blackadder would be 'Love Actually'-esque and so on are completely unfounded. You're talking as if it's Curtis' baby, when we all know that the main problem with making Blackadder – the main reason that they stopped after four series when everyone wanted to do more – was that everyone had so much input, all trying to make the funniest show ever, that every day of creating the show was a tug of war. Apparently BGF was barely rehearsed, because they'd be arguing about the script right up until the recording.

This means that any new Blackadder would be probably a one-off special at the most, and it would take years to make as well, I should imagine. And anyone who thinks Stephen Fry (just for one) would let the product turn into a Dicky Curtis wankfest must be mistaken.

The Mumbler

Even when it was on top form, Blackadder wasn't above having "wahey, look, it's x from y"-type cameos - not that I'm against that if the cameos you have are from the likes of Miranda Richardson.  Or Rik Mayall.  Or Robbie Coltrane.

Much as I like Fry, he does not, as a friend memorably described it, "piss gold".  He makes his mistakes in his career like everyone else does (can't he just tell 90% of QI panellists just not to bother turning up?  And he hasn't done anything *really* compelling in some time, has he?).

Let's be honest, a new Blackadder will be a Curits-fest.  It will be like The Vicar Of Dibley with similes and turnip references.  It will be.  Hugh Grant, Darcey Bussell (who is a frighteningly talented ballerina but she cannot do comedy) and someone out of a new-ish comedy (probably Martin Freeman) will be in it.  There will be no savagery - Curtis hasn't been remotely satirical or even mildly irascible in his comedy pretty much since 1990.  Indeed, I've been angrier at what he's been doing - I *paid* to see Notting Hill, because I thought, "Well, he did write National Wealth Beds".  He's got the money, though, and I'm clearly bitter, obviously, blah blah blah.

Just my predictions there.  Remind me if I'm wrong, obviously.

The Mumbler

Quote from: "Jemble Fred"All these fears that new Blackadder would be 'Love Actually'-esque and so on are completely unfounded. You're talking as if it's Curtis' baby, when we all know that the main problem with making Blackadder – the main reason that they stopped after four series when everyone wanted to do more – was that everyone had so much input, all trying to make the funniest show ever, that every day of creating the show was a tug of war. Apparently BGF was barely rehearsed, because they'd be arguing about the script right up until the recording..

Actually, wasn't another reason that they didn't do any more, apart from not wanting the formula to go stale, was that Rowan and Curtis signed a big contract with Thames to do Mr. Bean (the first one of which was broadcast just two months after the final Goes Forth)?  Certainly Lewisohn's book on Benny Hill (who was axed to make way for Bean, pretty much) suggests as much.

Jemble Fred

There's no way it could be a Curtis-fest. That's not how Blackadder ever worked/works.

Isn't that penultimate paragraph deliberately needling contrariness?

The Mumbler

I thought Back & Forth was a Curtis-fest, though - and that's why it didn't work anything like as well as the original series.  It was smug beyond belief, and thin on laughs.  The anger and passion had gone.  I'm not necessarily suggesting that no-one gave a toss, but there was a rather self-satisfied assumption of goodwill that surrounded it.  And I thought it stank a bit really.

I don't want the comedic equivalent of school reunions on my TV.  Let them do it in their own time.

Jemble Fred

Quote from: "The Mumbler"I don't want the comedic equivalent of school reunions on my TV.  Let them do it in their own time.

Well, there's the rub, old boy. Sums the whole thing up. Because there's nothing I'd like more.

Back & Forth had plenty of classic gags as well – the Hadrian's Wall bit, the modern day character interaction etc. Not a lot, I know, but like TN said, it was made for the Dome. If they made a final special for its own sake, without having to make it family-friendly, it would be superb.

kidsick5000

Quote from: "The Mumbler"Benny Hill (who was axed to make way for Bean, pretty much)

Hardly. Benny Hill  was way way out of the tv picture by the time Bean came along.

PS.
My comment about the talent very early on. I was referring to Atkinson/Curtis/Elton as the main creative force behind Blackadder.
Fry and Laurie can do as much as they like, whenever they like as far as im concerned, but in Blackadder, I see them as actors. (If this assumption is wrong then just shout the correct facts in my direction)
I wish that Curtis and Elton would stop.
(Im going to duck my head before the oncoming barrage)

The Mumbler

You're wrong about Benny Hill.  His last show for Thames was as late as May 1989, shortly after which he was called to (controller) John Howard Davies's office and effectively told it was all over.  The Hill shows cost a lot of money to make, worldwide sales had begun to tail off somewhat after the glory years of the early 80s, and most tellingly of all, ratings in the UK had halved within a decade.  The idea of signing Rowan Atkinson was attractive to Howard Davies, so says Lewisohn's biog of Hill, Funny Peculiar (which I unreservedly recommend), and so...

The first Bean was New Year's Day 1990.

Jemble Fred

Barrage? If you didn't get a barrage for the original blunt statement, you won't get one for the more reasonable explanation, matey!

Can't agree about Elton & Curtis, though – I think they should START. They stopped doing anything especially good ten years ago – together they wrote what I consider to be the funniest sitcom ever made, so they couldn't do any better than try and work together again. Same goes for Linehan & Mathews – the whole is greater than the sum, et cetera.

As for Fry & Laurie – they both had huge input into Blackadder. The script books may be (rather cheekily) in Ben & Dick's name, but you can guarantee that a lot of George and Melchett business is down to Stephen & Hugh – like I said, the script was ever-changing right up to the last minute. Stephen even had the idea of calling McInnerny's character Darling for BGF, I believe.

Of course, it's no wonder that facts like this aren't widely known when you look at the fucking DVD releases. The few rehearsal clips we've seen in shows like 'The Top Sitcoms' and so on are a horrible tease.

kidsick5000

Quote from: "The Mumbler"You're wrong about Benny Hill.  His last show for Thames was as late as May 1989, shortly after which he was called to (controller) John Howard Davies's office and effectively told it was all over.  The Hill shows cost a lot of money to make, worldwide sales had begun to tail off somewhat after the glory years of the early 80s, and most tellingly of all, ratings in the UK had halved within a decade.  The idea of signing Rowan Atkinson was attractive to Howard Davies, so says Lewisohn's biog of Hill, Funny Peculiar (which I unreservedly recommend), and so...

The first Bean was New Year's Day 1990.

Really? But I hardly remember him being on around the end of the 80s. Maybe it didnt get to all ITV regions.
I distinctly remember the amazment about Benny Hill being hugely popular around the world (still true today, amazingly)  when he couldnt get a look in in the UK

The Mumbler

Even if Fry & Laurie added lines in rehearsal (and I find it unilkely they did much of this before Goes Forth), it's still Curtis and Elton (and maybe John Lloyd) who drew up the shape of the show.  And even if you acknowledge their debt, then maybe that explains the slight dip (too many cooks?) in that fourth series, which while still very good, was (to me) a slight disappointment after the second and third series.  Getting Flashheart in again troubled me slightly (crowd-pleasing, without doubt, but hardly as hilarious as the first time)- not to mention the overworked similes, some very lazy catchphrases ("Darling" to this day makes me wince), and *that* ending.  Still some marvellous moments in every instalment, you'd be a fool to deny it, but the flaws were there to see.