Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:50:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone remember "round the bend" on citv?

Started by questforchunder, August 24, 2005, 05:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Does anyone remember a kids programme on itv called round the bend. it was made by the people who did spitting image, and included parodied cartoons of other contemporary kids programmes (e.g thunderpants).

It had many random comedy moments, but sadly mary whitehouse got wind of it and got it cancelled.

mcbpete

I sure do remember it (although its only in a vague corner in my brain), it was pretty good I seem to remember...

JCBillington

There was a discussion on this recently, but I forget exactly which thread it was in - do a search. I think you are overestimating Whitehouses power to have things cancelled, BTW.

Alberon

Yeah, she got a lot of coverage but how much notice was paid to her all the time is debatable.

Anyway, she got cancelled herself long ago.

geeef

Ah yes. I used to love this, it was on when I was at college, and was required viewing. Wee-man, and Thunderpants (Thunderpants Ho!), hosted by Doc Croc. Didn't know this bit the dust due to Whitehousery(ah, on reading the posts more carefully, I see it might well not have been). Younger  friends of mine are always very pleased that I remember this, as it seems to be very fondly recalled, so I wouldn''t be too surprised if it emerged on DVD one day.
Y'all heard the sweary Thundercats voice-recording out-takes btw? http://rapidshare.de/files/4268208/Thunderouttakes.mp3.html

Hairy Chin

Wasn't there a part of the show to do with 'Teenage Mutant Hero Turds' fighting the baddy 'Shreddie' - who was a piece of breakfast cereal. Or was that something else?

Village Branson

Was there one were a toilet cubicle was a time machine, and there were late-teen versions of people such as Prince Charles and Thatcher?

Always think of it when Round the Bend comes up.

No one else does.

geeef

Quote from: "rebel prince"Who remembers Rainbow?
Yes, I do, but I wasn't really a fan of that band.

phantom power

Quote from: "Village Branson"Was there one were a toilet cubicle was a time machine, and there were late-teen versions of people such as Prince Charles and Thatcher?

Always think of it when Round the Bend comes up.

No one else does.

That would be Palace Hill, a spin off from Your Mother Wouldn't Like It. I don't think either of these shows were related to Round the Bend (although they were all on Childrens ITV) but curiously enough I also tend to associate them with each other. YMWLI apparently contained spoofs in a similar vein to Round the Bend, so maybe that's where the connection comes from.

It's nowhere near as good as Round The Twist though.

menguin

Goldentony

i used to love round the bend but the opening titles scared the shit out of me, its a pity it hasnt been released on dvd yet, fucking fantastic.

Thanks menguin!

I'm having the time of my day here.

Jemble Fred

Ah, a Round The Bend discussion. Must be Thursday.

chav

Rubbish Monkey

Mr Grue

Ah, I'll never forget the night we pissed on the cold ear...

Catalogue Trousers

Hairy Chin wrote:

QuoteWasn't there a part of the show to do with 'Teenage Mutant Hero Turds' fighting the baddy 'Shreddie' - who was a piece of breakfast cereal. Or was that something else?

I think that that was a feature on "Spitting Image"...

COWADUNGA!!!

Dark Sky

Quote from: "Rubbish Monkey"Play have all 3 Round The Twist DVDs in their up to 70% off tv boxset sale thingy.

Fuck me with a random comedy item.  That's amazing.  

Are they the original series then, rather than the recent series, which were crap?  

(Anyone see the recent series?  They basically hired actors who looked vaguely like the original cast, irrespective of how good they actually were at acting.  Plus the storylines were rubbish...guess they ran out Paul Jennings books...  I never did bother to check if Paul Jennings was involved in the recent series.)

Yes, and it was fantastic! Thank you for the DVD link!

Narshty

Plenty of episodes now appearing on YouTube and they're simply amazing. Gags everywhere (real howling thigh-slappers too), merciless satire and completely subversive and unrestrained. It's thrilling to see these again and realise how much better they are than I remembered.

TheWizard

There's a lot of the Round the Bend stuff on YouTube too. Here

uncle_rico

Quote from: "Narshty"Plenty of episodes now appearing on YouTube and they're simply amazing. Gags everywhere (real howling thigh-slappers too), merciless satire and completely subversive and unrestrained. It's thrilling to see these again and realise how much better they are than I remembered.
I dunno. I don't mean to be a killjoy, but I watched a few of them and theres an awful lot of puns in retrospect...

I'd still rather watch it than most of today's Kids shows, mind. Also, when was Wooly the Wondersheep introduced? He doesn't apear to be in any of the clips I've watched and he was my favorite.

Blue Jam

I remember this, I was thinking about it as I started the Spongebob thread. I also remember thinking "CBBC would never show anything like this," that's why I didn't like CBBC overall, being on a public service broadcast channel their programmes often seemed too educational and worthy and a bit twee.

Wasn't Your Mother Wouldn't Like It inspired by Round The Bend? Can't remember what it was about now, I seem to remember it being crap though.

uncle_rico

Quote from: "Blue Jam"I remember this, I was thinking about it as I started the Spongebob thread. I also remember thinking "CBBC would never show anything like this," that's why I didn't like CBBC overall, being on a public service broadcast channel their programmes often seemed too educational and worthy and a bit twee.

Wasn't Your Mother Wouldn't Like It inspired by Round The Bend? Can't remember what it was about now, I seem to remember it being crap though.
Round the Bend came after it. Palace Hill was inspired by Your Mother Wouldn't Like It(which I don't think I ever saw). You're right about Childrens BBC, though. Not really what you wanted when you came home from school, was it?

incidentally, does anyone know where i can get Pugwall memorabilia?

Jaffit

This programme made me the man i am today.

ahhhhh bum rah

Blue Jam

Ah yes, I remember Palace Hill now, wasn't it a segment in YMWLI?

Quote from: "uncle_rico"You're right about Childrens BBC, though. Not really what you wanted when you came home from school, was it?

I remember when parents complained that Teletubbies wasn't "educational" enough and they bowed to pressure and made it a bit less pointless and sily. To me it just showed they hadn't changed since I was little and watching CBBC in the eighties. The last thing I wanted when I got home from school was to have more education rammed down my throat- I remember thinking "grown-ups don't come home and choose to watch programmes about work and offices, do they?" but now that's exactly what they do!