Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:49:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stewart Lee at Soho Theatre 19th Sept - 8th Oct

Started by Papercut, September 10, 2005, 02:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papercut

http://www.sohotheatre.com/pl1032.html

I've not seen this mentioned, so apologies if it's old.

heard him on Mark Radcliffe's show a few weeks back, and from the write up it sounds like this is based on his Edinburgh show.

did anyone catch that? I've read some positive reviews, but not heard many details. He apparently explores what would happen if he genuinely set out to offend people, as he was accused of doing with Jerry Springer.

I enjoyed going to see him on the last Soho Theatre stint, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Was a superb show, beautifully rounded up in the final minute with an observation so obvious but worded so perfectly that you can't help but think what a much better place the world would be if he was in charge.

I've heard a recording of one of his pre-Edinburgh warm up show...  

The first half is quality but Im not so keen on the 2nd, call me prudish, but its basically about as offensive a routine (anti-christian) as I've heard. Im no christian but at the same time I cpuldn't help thinking this was a tad too far. And overlong too, although the punchline kinda needs it to be.

See the show,  you'll enjoy it... but if you're in any way christian, be warned.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Quote from: "jimbobsyouruncle"I've heard a recording of one of his pre-Edinburgh warm up show...  

The first half is quality but Im not so keen on the 2nd, call me prudish, but its basically about as offensive a routine (anti-christian) as I've heard. Im no christian but at the same time I cpuldn't help thinking this was a tad too far. And overlong too, although the punchline kinda needs it to be.

See the show,  you'll enjoy it... but if you're in any way christian, be warned.

I know the bit you are talking about. I don't think that it is offensive as you do, especially as it is patently clear that he attempted to write the most anti-Christ joke possible, but I wouldn't recommend him to my mum!

lazyhour

I don't see why it's "anti" anything, except perhaps blasphemy or censorship.  I saw him do 90s Comedian as an Edinburgh warm-up, and I didn't find it at all offensive, because it was a 'meditation' on offensiveness, and thus had some distance from offensiveness itself.

Oh, whatever.  It's pretty funny, especially bits that aren't about Christ or puke.

Quote from: "Eight Taiwanese Teenagers"
I know the bit you are talking about. I don't think that it is offensive as you do, especially as it is patently clear that he attempted to write the most anti-Christ joke possible, but I wouldn't recommend him to my mum!

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't take my mum  and I'd hesitate to take anyone who was even slightly Christian.

You're right to say that he set out to make a joke that was really offensive to christians but in a way thats the problem because the joke WOULD BE very offensive to christians. Even, I would suspect, open minded christians (if there is such a thing). Imagine the same humour but using Mohammed instead...

I found it funny myself, but at the same time I found it uncomfortable listening. I'm no expert but I feel it went on too long past the point of humour and into intentional offensivness.  Something that I'd have no problem dealing with if it was Jerry sadowitz, but I'd expect better from Stewart Lee.

He must have people walking out of each show... I'd bet money on it.

Qunt

off to see this on monday, woohoo! I'm healthily not pro-religion so I won't be walking out I shouldn't think. Only live sex with small animals would genuinely offend me I think

sigh

90s Comedian is an excellent show, and probably the best thing I saw at the Fringe (except perhaps Daniel Kitson's Stories For The Wobbly Hearted). It's a masterclass in stand up comedy and how to control an audience, but most of all it's just fucking hilarious.

I also had the pleasure of seeing Stewart Lee's Afternoon Delight, at which he read a poem about a Malcolm Hardee type character, and the first few chapters of his new novel, Soiled Doves. Both were very very good.

I thoroughly recommend catching 90s Comedian, and also Stories For The Wobbly Hearted, which I believe will be on soon.

jampots

the poem is here

has the soho theatre run sold out yet? i might go and see it some time. JS:TO tour will also be fun.

What was the new novel like? I heard it was something about the holy ghost getting lessons from satan on how to do sex so he could get the virgin Mary pregnant. The first novel was incredible.

Mr. Analytical

anti-christian or not... I just found that gag overly long and not particularly funny.

Though the phrase "vomiting into the gaping anus of christ" has a certain elan to it.

defmem

Sorry, but is this pre edinburgh recording jimbobsyouruncle mentions available anywhere ?

butnut

Well, he's on tour now and I saw him last night. And despite the turn out being poor (the theatre was barely 1/3 full, certainly less than 100 people) he did a great show. He came and made everyone move to the front, so that people weren't so spaced out, which I think helped. As someone said up there, he was brilliant at controlling the audience. And one of the hightlights was what appeared to be a 10 minute riff about a moth that was fluttering round the stage. I don't know if it was made up or not, or it's just the material he brings out everytime a moth appears. The fact that I can't decide, shows the quality and speed of his thoughts.

The main material was extremely good. I didn't see any problems with the Christian material (although as someone up there^ says, you probably wouldn't bbring any Christian friends with you) and thought it made some very good points about symbols at the end. Hmm, maybe the point about it lacking a killer punchline is true, but I didn't think that at the time. It didn't feel like that kind of story to me.

He also did some nice things about comedians stealing other people's material, inclduing specific examples of a few jokes that were nicked. All in all, I really enjoyed it. He has aged a bit since I last saw him - even some grey hairs on the side of his head!

Jemble Fred

I want to know which idiot wrote the blurb for his new DVD on the Virgin ad (back page of the latest Viz-style laughter-free rag). Something like 'The audaciously talented Lee used to write for Steve Coogan. Buy his DVD.'

I mean, what? It's like the mid-to-late nineties never happened.

Papercut

The Moth stuff wasn't part of the Soho Theatre set I saw, which was really enjoyable too. The comments about Lee controlling the audience are spot on, he managed to build up a relationship with the audience very quickly.

When I saw him, he went on to label part of the audience who were one step ahead of the jokes 'Team A', and part of the audience who were uncomfortable with some of the jokes 'Team F'. Roughly:

'We've never had a majority Team F before. Team A - if you're sitting next to someone in Team F and they begin to laugh, you should give them a sign of encouragement. Squeeze their hand, or perhaps pat them on the head. Don't worry Team F, don't feel excluded, we'll work through this together. It isn't your fault, ... [quietly] yes it is.'

Was this part of the normal set? A lot of people were laughing at this, but the part of the audience correctly identified as Team F were clearly rankled :)

hansen mork

He said almost exactly the same thing at the Birmingham show

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

TraceyQ

Quote from: "hansen mork"He said almost exactly the same thing at the Birmingham show

Christ, were you there too? I was in Team F.
I was the woman who laughed far too loudly when he did the bit comparing himself to Jesus

I thought he looked very tired and rather old, to be fair. The last 10 years havent been very kind and he should have a re-think about the skin tight jeans and the shirt.

He was very offensive, yes, but he dressed it up with enough long words that if any Joe Pasquale fans had found their way into the audience they would have quickly tuned him out as a talking dictionary.

TTT

I saw the show at edinburgh, can't say i was offended at all and nobody walked out (even during the vomiting in to the gaping anus of christ bit). I thought it was an excellent show much better than last years. However i also saw Richard Herring at Edinburgh and his show was so much better, Rich seems to be getting better each year (ive seen the last 3 shows) however a few people walked out during the show claiming "they don't find jokes about rape funny" which Rich quickly replied "I didnt say rape was funny, i said monkey rape was funny".

Dusty Gozongas

Sounds to me that Richard Herring is monkeyist rather than rapeist. Not that I know the bloke or anything. ;o)

smufflebob

I saw 90's comedian in soho about a month ago. During the show stu said that Robbie Williams was at the show the night before and left halfway through, not because he was offended, but because he said the stu's voice was perfect for 'hypnosis tapes'. Does anyone else recall this from seing the show, I'm interested in whether this was just a comic piss take of RW or if it is true and RW is really that thick.

butnut

He mentioned the same story in the show I went to see last week. Don't know how true it is, but is seems a slightly bizarrre thing to make up.

He did the Group A and Group F stuff as well - it must be something he does every night.

Tracey - did you go to the Birmingham show? He said that it was packed (it was the day before I saw him, where it was only a third full). I was just wondering if you'd confirm this for me.

TraceyQ

Stew did say that Robbie Williams had left one of his Edinburgh warm-ups, yeah, giving a reason that he'd forgotten he had to go to a wedding the next morning, and he did mention that Williams had said he has a good voice for hospital relaxation tapes.

Also: Butnut,  t'was sold out. Not the biggest venue, the Mac Theatre, but that meant he could come right out into the audience while telling us about the joys of masturbating and crying at the same time.

Rich

I saw 90s Comedian at the Soho Theatre almost exactly a month ago.  For reasons I can't completely remember, I was slightly underwhelmed.  Certainly parts of it were great, but others felt a little cheap (Team A and Team F (F is meant to be italicised here to imply a certain inonation, but it isn't very clear is it?  The F at the beginning of these brackets offers a good contrast though) is the only one I can think of mind you).  Still, I might just be being picky, and it might be because I saw a preview (which I enjoyed a lot) in June or July or something.  I definitely preferred last year's show anyway.

Has anyone bought his DVD then? Are there any decent extras?

Darrell

Quote from: "12 years, 11 months old"Has anyone bought his DVD then? Are there any decent extras?

Three Comedy Network clips from 1997.

Bonely Child

Quote from: "Darrell"
Quote from: "12 years, 11 months old"Has anyone bought his DVD then? Are there any decent extras?

Three Comedy Network clips from 1997.

... whose main value is demonstrating that Lee's hugely improved since.

butnut

Radio 4 now.

How has Dave Gorman got these guests? Last week Neil Innes and now Mr. Lee.

He's already used one line from his tour. I wonder how many more there'll be.

bennyprofane

I saw him last night in abergavenny.  He was pretty good, although it was a small venue abuout a quarter full which seemed to throw him.  I think his short gags were better than his long routines though, whihc might just have been the delivery. Quite excellently, his attempt to draw a chalk circle foundered on the theatre's rubber floor.  But still, nice to get anyone in abergavenny at all ever, so hurrah.

Glyn

ah thats a bit of a shame, it was full at cardiff millenium centre last week (not the main stage, that was being set up for joe pasquale and the other royal variety 'acts', much to his annoyance). Was a damn good show, he was totally in control of the crowd the second he started, and only had one walk out at THAT bit. Its rather refreshing to hear a stand up apologise for a routine too, though saying that the old couple behind me (gotta be 70+) had a great time