Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:46:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Any one else's connection suffering?

Started by Retinend, April 10, 2020, 10:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

I don't think it can be a coincidence that our internet connection, which has been great for 6 months since we got it, has this week suddenly turned to shit. My partner's colleagues were complaining of this before us and I can only imagine it is a side affect of so many people (children during the day especially) at home. As I wrote this short post, the connection has already fallen out and now I have to wait around for it to return before I hit post.

timebug

No problem as such, but a few friends and neighbours have noted that their own ISP seems a bit slower than usual.

Brundle-Fly

Yeah, my connection is ok but cuts out intermittently between 11am until lunchtime and then at around 5pm to 7pm. 

Can you imagine if people lost their internet? I think many would find that more horrifying than their water being cut off.

hamfist

Mine stutters a bit, I keep a ping running while working and see intermittent patches of slow response and at least one packet loss per minute.

The Bumlord

Speed is fine as always but yeah, it cuts out about twice a week. Only for a few minutes but that's enough to fuck up work (if I ever do any).

buttgammon

We've been having the odd dropout here and there, and it has seemed slower than usual at times, but that was during a period when three of us were working from home on the same connection simultaneously.

All of the assessment for the university I teach in has moved online and I had a raft of emails from students yesterday saying they couldn't connect in time. Some of them live in rural areas where it's shot to pieces.

Dex Sawash

My fiber has been weird and my fixed devices keep disconnecting from network when idle. I assume my isp is signalling my isp-owned gateway to disconnect all devices as they scramble to find bandwidth.

My mobile data has been absolutely fucked at home where we are a bit marginal on signal anyway. Been better than normal at work in central ghost town.

BlodwynPig

Sebastian Cobb

Something broke before this all properly kicked off. I noticed a virgin media man outside my house when I got home and found neither the tv or the internet worked, so it must've been fairly local kit failing to stop both signals getting down the cable and affecting several houses so not just a physical break in my cable. But then Virgin seem to be much worse at not maintaining their street cabs, and leaving them exposed to the elements than BT, i know coax is more resilient and the connections better than copper pairs but still.

This happened again one morning during lockdown but got fixed much more quickly.

I also noticed in the early days dns would hiccup occasionally so manually used the google one* and it was better, I think virgin might have beefed that up because it got a lot better.

*which has to be done on EACH DEVICE because virgin are cunts and don't let you set it in their shitty router.

The ISP's have been saying the increased load from people working from home is nothing compared to the teatime peak as households start streaming en masse, or the peak during a big footy match.

seepage

G.INP seems to have been disabled for me, so speed about 60% of normal.

Was going to get a router with a 4G sim as back-up but the checker said 4G broadband was not available in my area, which seems strange.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: seepage on April 10, 2020, 05:14:52 PM
G.INP seems to have been disabled for me, so speed about 60% of normal.

Was going to get a router with a 4G sim as back-up but the checker said 4G broadband was not available in my area, which seems strange.

When my went down I had work meetings and just tethered to my phone, which worked better than I'd expected.

Retinend

A bit like your typical victim of a viral infection, I only reported my symptoms once they had reached their height, and ever since the painstaking process of writing and successfully posting it, the internet has been holding strong, thank (the wifi) God(s). Everyone else?

Dewt

You people with ISP owned routers should put your own router behind them.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dewt on April 11, 2020, 07:16:45 PM
You people with ISP owned routers should put your own router behind them.

I've got an edgerouter and a ubiquity wireless ap I just haven't gotten around to setting it up for tedious 'trying to negotiate a better deal with isp by threatening to leave' reasons.

Dex Sawash

Been saving up for a Ubiquiti since CaB told me to get one 5 years ago.