Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:42:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fresh original ideas for scenes in adventure stories

Started by Lemming, March 22, 2024, 09:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

Bum Flaps

A surprising turn of events - to be deployed if it looks like the story is going to be shorter than the contractually agreed run-time.
It would work like this. At a slowish point in the story, perhaps shortly after the hero or the bad guy has apparently gained some crucial advantage, the mood will be upbeat/downbeat. Suddenly, we would then introduce a surprising turn of events, in which something unexpected happens, which serves to re-balance or reverse the advantage of the hero/bad guy.
This could be exciting, but the danger is that we might annoy members of our audience who have already become invested in the original outcome, who will resent having to change their opinion so rapidly (and may have got their coats on ready to leave).

popcorn

Quote from: Ferris on March 25, 2024, 04:01:39 PMDefusing a bomb but the hero has never defused a bomb before.

I'm sorry but some of the ideas in this thread are simply absurd.

Why would the hero be the person who has to defuse the bomb, if they have no expertise or experience in defusing the bomb? It would be incredibly dangerous and foolish.

Ferris

Well I thought it could be something to do with testing the sharpness of scissors, but I wasn't really sure about it. This is a collaborative process and I don't think it's fair to attack ideas that might not work as long as we're being fresh and original.

The idea is to be "out there" and "blue sky" and I don't think that kind of comment is helping us look at these things differently, especially when it comes to the sharpness of scissors which is likely to be a key plot point.

Ferris

Anyway, I was thinking about a sequence of dreams. Someone who sort of goes to sleep and has dreams but then the dreams are mad, but it turns out they're sort of relevant to the rest of the story?

Maybe they're predictive or they're reflective and someone realizes they should have done [/x] because in the dream it's revealed that [y]|