Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:16:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon

Started by MoonDust, January 21, 2017, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

Same for me. I mentioned this in the Stratagem thread - for me, that 'pure' Partridge where there's no real narrative or theme is him at his best. The character is so detailed and deep at this point that you really don't need complicated setups - just give him a radio show or a podcast and let him speak. It makes sense within the world of Partridge, and offers the widest scope for his ideas and thoughts to spread out.

Pink Gregory

the audiobook of Nomad has been put on Fourble so I only just got round to it, and I'm an absolute sucker for mispronounced names - Marc Bowlam

markburgle

Quote from: Utter Shit on May 14, 2022, 08:59:13 AMIIRC they released episode 2 of the Oasthouse collection (the rambling one) a few days before the release. I can't remember off the top of my head but I guess that would have had a lockdown theme with solo rambling being one activity you could still do? I don't remember any pre-release episodes that weren't in the main release - if there was, I missed it and would love to hear it!

There aren't any covid references in the released version so I'm now wanting to know where this extra material is at

Captain Z

Pretty sure that FTOH was all recorded before the pandemic. Are you sure that "key workers" line wasn't from the last series of This Time?

Ferris

I remember the line too, I want to say he followed it up by hinting that being a nurse was easy? And that being a DJ didn't get the respect it should, or something.

BeardFaceMan

Was it from one of the trailers for Oasthouse? As I remember, there were 4 of them that had material not in the podcast.

kalowski

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 14, 2022, 09:11:06 AMthe audiobook of Nomad has been put on Fourble so I only just got round to it, and I'm an absolute sucker for mispronounced names - Marc Bowlam
I imagined him conflating Marc Bolan with James Bolam at that line.

McDead

Quote from: markburgle on May 14, 2022, 12:21:58 PMThere aren't any covid references in the released version so I'm now wanting to know where this extra material is at

The release of that chapter had a bit of specially recorded prologue where Partridge talked about the podcast, the pandemic, lockdown etc. There might be a link to it somewhere in this thread
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=78065.0

Des Wigwam

Quote from: McDead on May 14, 2022, 02:13:42 PMThe release of that chapter had a bit of specially recorded prologue where Partridge talked about the podcast, the pandemic, lockdown etc. There might be a link to it somewhere in this thread
https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=78065.0

Yes that sounds like it. I have in mind listening to it in about August 2020. I've looked for the files on my phone but can't find them. Might comb that thread.

JamesTC

This thread seems as good as any to highlight the picture used for Alan on Wikipedia:

McDead

Jed, I'll level with you... I'm really scared.

QDRPHNC

Cold Meat Platter

Technically you should have a hat hard-on. What am I saying?! I mean a hat hard-on. I've done it again!

Mobius

You're High Noon You're High Noon You're High Noon You're High Noon

markburgle

Mobius

I love the bit in Oasthouse where Partridge talks about how people hate posh rich people and it's basically just Coogan talking

And where he says Tom Cruise can't form human relationships" or something and then mutters under his breath "unless you're Simon Pegg" 

"Hearsay rocker Myleen Klass is from the county. So too is Gausden born Hannah Spearritt, former S Club 7 singer, and someone I'm proud to call a friend."

kalowski

I just relistened to the podcast section where he's running. It is a brilliant performance by Coogan. There's no jokes as such, but a totally knackered Partridge trying to talk and claim how good he is at running us just fantastic. "Think I'll just jump this fence."
In his new Asics hoodie so when the rain starts he stops running "after 3k, although I could have gone on for another 12."

McDead

Quote from: The Lion King on February 18, 2019, 01:54:37 AMJust listening to I partridge again, and after all these years without questioning the name I finally realise why he called his production company 'Pear Tree Productions'

Apache Productions is also a riff on "a pear tree" as in "a Partridge in a"

kalowski

Just nearly crashed the car listening to the podcast where he reads out the "great tweet" about waffles. "British waffles are made of compacted potato with gaps between the lattice structure." It's so Alan.

JamesTC

Quote from: Mobius on May 15, 2022, 05:40:21 AMAnd where he says Tom Cruise can't form human relationships" or something and then mutters under his breath "unless you're Simon Pegg" 

Is Simon Pegg the only person to appear in Alan Patridge as a character and then get mentioned by name afterwards?

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: JamesTC on May 29, 2022, 12:15:21 PMIs Simon Pegg the only person to appear in Alan Patridge as a character and then get mentioned by name afterwards?

What about Chris Morris? Alan mentions him while talking to him on the Day Today extras

DJ Bob Hoskins

Re-listening to From the Oasthouse at the moment. On the subject of his voiceover work for cinema ads in the 90s, Alan mentions that he's probably best known for "Fireworks: don't muck about".

Menu

Quote from: McDead on May 21, 2022, 03:21:41 AMApache Productions is also a riff on "a pear tree" as in "a Partridge in a"

Could you explain this?

McDead

Quote from: Menu on June 02, 2022, 09:59:23 PMCould you explain this?

If you say Apache in a certain way, it sounds like "a pear tree". A partridge in Apache/pear tree. It seems like the sort of homonymic humour Coogan/Partridge would like.

Menu

Quote from: McDead on June 02, 2022, 10:36:51 PMIf you say Apache in a certain way, it sounds like "a pear tree". A partridge in Apache/pear tree. It seems like the sort of homonymic humour Coogan/Partridge would like.

Never occurred to me. Would love to hear Alan explain that. I just thought he chose it cos it started with AP.

Menu

Quote from: Menu on June 02, 2022, 10:40:31 PMI just thought he chose it cos it started with AP.

Like a Donald Trump orgy.

JamesTC

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on May 29, 2022, 12:21:38 PMWhat about Chris Morris? Alan mentions him while talking to him on the Day Today extras

Oh. I bet there must be other mentions of people in amongst minutia. I suppose you could include Steve Coogan.

Gurke and Hare

When I'm with a new lover, I merely suggest/insist we take a hot bath together with three caps of Dettol, an activity that is both sexy and hygienic.