Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:41:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Rig

Started by Fambo Number Mive, January 06, 2023, 07:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

I'm not, I think it's a really good mix of characters and they are all really well drawn.

lauraxsynthesis

I wasn't interested in oil rigs but I am now. At times the dialogue was overwrought but the cast was so ace I didn't mind too much. Not cool killing
Spoiler alert
Mark Bonnar
[close]
off early though. I also enjoyed Owen Teale. Some outside bits were filmed on an oil rig. The underwater sfx looked cool and I enjoyed those bits and
Spoiler alert
the scary tsunami at the end
[close]
. Looking forward to s2. Particularly if we get more of the
Spoiler alert
cute gay couple.
[close]

Also the metaphors and references to climate change and evil corporations and their lackeys was unexpected and welcome.

It seems to me the Scottish accents were stronger than we usually get to hear. Apart from BBC Scotland etc. There's too much toning down of non-southeast England voices in stuff from the BBC. I noticed this in the HBO-made Our Flag Means Death too. Full on Scots from Ewen Bremner and the audience were trusted to understand it just fine.

jobotic

Couldn't understand a fackin word ovvit. Speak the Queens.

Captain Z

If you're looking for a decent, realistic drama based around oil rigs, my partner recently introduced me to this series on iPlayer which I would recommend:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000hy8t/state-of-happiness-series-1-1-treasure-hunt?seriesId=m000hy8v

A dramatisation of the 70s/80s oil boom in typical Nordic-noir style. Quite good, apparently it won an award at Cannes.

jobotic

Cheers, I'm going to have a look at this tonight.

jobotic

Just watched the end. That truly was one of the shittest things I've ever seen.

Catalogue Trousers

A lovely SF/Horror idea, and the rig itself is a great setting. The acting is serviceable to good.

But the scripting. Again and again, I just found myself ranting at the screen 'REAL PEOPLE WOULD NOT ACT OR REACT LIKE THIS!!!'

Waking Life

The guy who wrote this was a couple of years below me at my school (in the relatively remote Scottish highlands, so it's unusual to have someone 'make it' in media). Half the parents in our town worked out in the rigs so can see where the inspo came from.

Might watch at some point out of morbid curiosity. Stephen King praised it, although that's by no means a stamp of approval.

MoonDust

PlanktonSideburns

MoonDust