Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:18:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Succession - Season 4

Started by Bobloblawslawbomb, January 26, 2023, 04:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: fucking ponderous on March 27, 2023, 11:54:46 PMAnyway "The Disgusting Brothers" is yet another Armstrong phrase that's going to echo forever in my head.

"The Disgusting Brothers" is such a perfectly lazy and unimaginative name. Even Jeremy and Super Hans put more effort into coming up with band names. Love it.

Petey Pate

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 27, 2023, 11:25:28 PMLots of people posting on Twitter to say Tom and Shiv's breakup made them cry, broke their hearts etc and I had to wonder if I was watching the same show. The recap included a reminder that Shiv doesn't love Tom and enjoys him being painfully aware of this fact, Tom's become a sleazeball, and there's no way their separation isn't going to get very ugly.

I had assumed that they had already officially divorced until Tom's excruciating effort to get reassurance from Logan that a divorce wouldn't be a problem. Poor viewing comprehension on my part, but I can't fathom how anyone could have been genuinely moved by the end of a sham marriage between two completely awful people.

Enjoyed how Greg was the only person who came close to 'roasting' Logan. Also how Logan, despite his wealth and influence, now spends his evenings watching and complaining about cable news like a regular conservative old man (or President Trump).

Blue Jam

Quote from: Petey Pate on March 28, 2023, 12:45:14 AMI had assumed that they had already officially divorced until Tom's excruciating effort to get reassurance from Logan that a divorce wouldn't be a problem. Poor viewing comprehension on my part, but I can't fathom how anyone could have been genuinely moved by the end of a sham marriage between two completely awful people

I get the impression Tom genuinely does love Shiv but he's also a social climber who put up with her cruelty to stay close to the power and wealth of the Roys. And then fucked her over in negotiations twice. Not exactly the stuff of fairytales is it?

QuoteEnjoyed how Greg was the only person who came close to 'roasting' Logan. Also how Logan, despite his wealth and influence, now spends his evenings watching and complaining about cable news like a regular conservative old man (or President Trump).

I liked the explanation that Marcia was busy "shopping in Milan. Forever".

fucking ponderous

I quite enjoy the loose cannon Greg has become. So eager to please that he's the only person to lob a genuinely cutting roast.

Inspector Norse

Good start, not quite firing on full cylinders dramatically or comically perhaps but early days and there were some good lines and moments.

Spending $10bn just to piss off their dad is pure desolation.

Idiots marketing a rubbish non-starter of a business idea called "The Hundred"... where've I heard that before?

poo

Tweleve seasons of The Disgusting Brothers spin-off please

MoreauVasz

The only 'suck session' I'm interested in is the one your mum runs each week after bingo.

Pimhole

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 28, 2023, 12:30:44 AM"The Disgusting Brothers" is such a perfectly lazy and unimaginative name. Even Jeremy and Super Hans put more effort into coming up with band names. Love it.

Yes. That and the scene where Logan wants someone to tell him a joke but no one can - whilst obviously they're hamstrung by their fear of angering him, it's also clear that nobody (on the right) can be funny because they lack that crucial part of humanity. It's like how Musk wants so desperately to be in a gang with the genuinely funny shitposters on Twitter but never will be.

Also I agree that it's obvious Tom genuinely loved Shiv but she is incapable of love, like her siblings. There is an innate sadness in there and so despite them both being monsters I was moved by that scene, which is a testament to the writing and acting. Tom has always been the one I want to "rescue"* the most, much more so than Greg (who could just walk away at any time).

*I would rescue Tom so hard.

druss

Quote from: Inspector Norse on March 28, 2023, 07:27:30 AMIdiots marketing a rubbish non-starter of a business idea called "The Hundred"... where've I heard that before?
At first glance I thought they were financing the actual "The Hundred". Their idea couldn't be any worse than the reality.

dr beat

Yes regarding The Hundred, I did wonder if that wasn't coincidental.

Dimbleby

The highlight, Connor fretting about his 1% vote share being squeezed. Of course they made the right decision to have his presidential candidacy play out as a comic sideshow, rather than a major storyline where he's actually competitive in the race as many called for.

Quote from: druss on March 27, 2023, 09:40:27 AMGreg was fucking funny in that episode, can't understand why we didn't see the conversation with Logan regarding the incident though, what a missed opportunity.

I can't believe that scene was never filmed, I wonder if it ended on the cutting room floor.

Alberon

Quote from: Dimbleby on March 29, 2023, 12:33:45 AMThe highlight, Connor fretting about his 1% vote share being squeezed. Of course they made the right decision to have his presidential candidacy play out as a comic sideshow, rather than a major storyline where he's actually competitive in the race as many called for.

One of the two main candidates drops dead of a heart attack and the other turns out to be a nonce.

But yeah, having him contemplating spending vast sums and a wedding to retain the pathetic share he has is the right call.

amateur

Shiv telling Kendall and Roman she needed other options because "he might go on a killing spree in 7-Eleven and you might get your dick stuck in a AI jerk machine" was my personal highlight.

katzenjammer

Quote from: Dimbleby on March 29, 2023, 12:33:45 AMThe highlight, Connor fretting about his 1% vote share being squeezed.

'If I were to fall below 1% I feel I would become a laughing stock' :D

Ant Farm Keyboard

The consequences of the additional $100M also explain Roman's reluctance to spend the extra money for Pierce. That's the point where it impacts even their way of living.

Blue Jam

poo

WAMBSGANS is a properly good actor, fair play

Blue Jam

WAMBSGANS and Wryan Wreynolds? I'll be there with bells on.

I wonder if the MCU has room for a 7ft supervillain in a wingsuit named "Wingman"?

Dimbleby

Quote from: Alberon on March 29, 2023, 06:47:59 AMOne of the two main candidates drops dead of a heart attack and the other turns out to be a nonce.

That's not going to happen

QuoteBut yeah, having him contemplating spending vast sums and a wedding to retain the pathetic share he has is the right call.

I was referring to the writers treating his presidential bid as a minor sub-plot for light humour - instead of being a key part of the series in the event his left-field candidacy took off akin to a Trump-like insurgency - which is the right call.

selectivememory

Quote from: amateur on March 29, 2023, 08:09:30 AMShiv telling Kendall ... she needed other options because "he might go on a killing spree in 7-Eleven..."

Yeah, that was quite a telling line actually, considering the last time we saw them, there was that gut-wrenching scene where Kendall told them about the accident, and now a few months later it's just another thing for them to crack wise about. I wonder if Kendall even feels a bit absolved now he's got it off his chest.

iamcoop

Where the fuck can I watch this when all I have is a laptop and my balls as my word?

Blue Jam

Quote from: iamcoop on March 30, 2023, 09:46:16 PMWhere the fuck can I watch this when all I have is a laptop and my balls as my word?

If you mean legally, then a NOW TV Entertainment subscription is what you want.

Blue Jam

"Like Jaws, if everyone in the ocean worked for Jaws". Jaws isn't the shark's name, Jeremy Greg. Another nod to Peep Show. Connor stalking Willa by tracking her phone was also not unlike Mark tracking Dobby's movements across New York.

Looking forward to Connor and Willa's big bullshit wedding. Interesting that episodes 1 and 2 both ended with sad couples in bed, one at the end of a doomed marriage and the other at the start of one.

selectivememory

The stuff with Kerry was very funny. I'd like to have seen more of her audition tape.

Alberon

Felt sad for Connor. At least as fucked up as the other kids.

Logan's right, his kids aren't at all serious people, though he's the one to blame for that. He might not have been totally genuine in there, but it was hard not to side with him.

But at the end Logan is playing his usual divide and conquer games.

Led Souptin

Quote from: Pimhole on March 28, 2023, 09:39:27 AMThere is an innate sadness in there and so despite them both being monsters I was moved by that scene, which is a testament to the writing and acting.

Felt the same during that scene. Theres a lot of moments like this in sucession, where I'm suddenly sympathetic towards horrible bastatds. The tom and shiv break up for me was two people surrendering to their inability to stop abusing each other for power. Like watching two addicts on thier inevitable tragic relapse (actually, thinking about the staging of that scene, that's probably what they were going for - with them lying next to each other on the bed)

fucking ponderous

Quote from: Alberon on April 03, 2023, 10:15:38 PMFelt sad for Connor. At least as fucked up as the other kids.

Logan's right, his kids aren't at all serious people, though he's the one to blame for that. He might not have been totally genuine in there, but it was hard not to side with him.

But at the end Logan is playing his usual divide and conquer games.

Yeah that's sort of the tragedy of the ending scene for me- Roman is at heart a broken little boy and is being taken advantage of for it. Kendall and Shiv were totally loathsome in the karaoke confrontation scene to me. Ken bringing up Logan's neglect/abuse of the other two to score cheap points, yet trying to cloak it with some gravity. That's an impressive line to walk, writing wise.

Inspector Norse

Yeah, Logan is using Roman to split up the triumvirate because he knows Roman is the easiest to break and the one who is still at heart most desperate for his dad's attention.

Connor got possibly his deepest episode yet, a lot of scenes were quite telling about how he works as a person: the presidential bid and obsessing over 1% is clearly not some hubristic power play or folly, it's him wanting to prove his worth, to his family and to Willa.

Logan on the floor (in his "if Santa Claus was a hitman" getup) was interesting to witness. Clambering up on the stack of paper and giving his rousing speech was one of his most animated, focused moments in the whole series. He's sometimes been a bit frail physically and tends more to yell or bark rather than giving more prolonged talks. He misses this direct involvement.

Blue Jam

I did wonder if Logan ranting about wasting money on pizza and the air conditioning bill was a subtle dig at Elon Musk making cuts at Twitter.

Liked Greg trying to justify buying fresh pizza instead of warming it up in the microwave with "There's... the sog factor..."

Again Greg's the only one who dares stand up to Logan right now. Maybe Logan will hear about this focus group bullshit and even thank him for it.