Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:20:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Succession - Season 4

Started by Bobloblawslawbomb, January 26, 2023, 04:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oosp

Thank you Holy Zombie Jesus. I did not expect either of those vignettes. Nor did I expect them to be directly connected. What a world.

Also: in this scenario, PJ Harvey is Kendall. (Not that he could ever produce a novel in poetry written in the Dorset dialect.) Evidently, Cox is a Killer.

sevendaughters

I don't think Kendall withdrawing a moment of affection (or even Roman declaring it is all bullshine) are anything other than a lifetime of programming returning to take over after brief flirtations with humanity. They are all absolutely riddled with capitalism's me-first message and this is how deep the rot can go. I do almost pity them.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Oosp on June 25, 2023, 08:46:42 AMAlso: in this scenario, PJ Harvey is Kendall.

Nah, PJ is Connor. I bet she hyper-decants.

backdrifter

Quote from: sevendaughters on June 25, 2023, 09:28:40 AMI don't think Kendall withdrawing a moment of affection (or even Roman declaring it is all bullshine) are anything other than a lifetime of programming returning to take over after brief flirtations with humanity. They are all absolutely riddled with capitalism's me-first message and this is how deep the rot can go. I do almost pity them.

Well, Kendall was clearly deeply affected by the event itself.

sevendaughters

Quote from: backdrifter on June 26, 2023, 03:37:01 AMWell, Kendall was clearly deeply affected by the event itself.

absolutely, it was real, the most real slice of affection he's ever been part of, and yet he isn't programmed to feel things like that, and if he walked away he wouldn't know what to do.

Dex Sawash

Did Caroline say something in the last ep that implied the 3 didn't all have the same father?

mjwilson

Quote from: Dex Sawash on July 02, 2023, 11:26:04 AMDid Caroline say something in the last ep that implied the 3 didn't all have the same father?

I don't remember anything like that (but it's been a few weeks now).

mjwilson

chip

mjwilson

I enjoyed it,  some good answers and not one person said "this is more of a comment than a question".

chip

Quote from: mjwilson on September 08, 2023, 05:31:47 PMI enjoyed it,  some good answers and not one person said "this is more of a comment than a question".

That woman about two questions before the end did come dangerously close, though.

But no yeah was good fun. Though tbf it feels like if you'd read near enough every interview with JA or other behind-the-scenes folks, you'd walk away with about the same level of insight.

mjwilson

I thought the question of who the youngest sibling is was interesting.

Basically: the show never actually states who's the youngest. It's actually Roman, but they avoid saying it because some of the writers like to write with the idea of Shiv being the youngest in mind.

Blue Jam

Quote from: mjwilson on September 08, 2023, 06:44:48 PMI thought the question of who the youngest sibling is was interesting.

Basically: the show never actually states who's the youngest. It's actually Roman, but they avoid saying it because some of the writers like to write with the idea of Shiv being the youngest in mind.

Interesting. I always thought it was Shiv, but Roman just acts like the youngest.

dontpaintyourteeth

I always assumed it was Roman but I suppose it wasn't ever explicitly stated in the show, eh?

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

Maybe it's like Jeremy Usborne/Osborne in Peep Show.

Marv Orange

Just finished watching this not a bad watch, high quality production, not quite at the level of hype I heard due to the repetitiveness of it, potentially a consequence of binging it over a number of week.... which lead me to this thought.... this is a sitcom dressed as a drama isn't it?

The characters reacting to (slightly) different situations in the same way, without ever growing or changing over the course of the show. It even has office-esque reaction shots (mainly from Shiv). Kendall scheming is the equivalent of Del having a get rich quick scheme every ep. Unlike a really good sitcom where the strength of the characters and the writing, means that the repetition is something to look forward to, unfortunately none of the characters are likeable enough to get the show to that point.

BritishHobo

I love the entire thing, but it very much seemed unable to hide the The Thick of It/Veep vibe, with the nicknames and the Congress testimony being straight out of those shows. I do think the characterisation took it to another level far beyond sitcom though, with the abusive family dynamic, the fucked-up nature of all the Roy kids, and the Shiv/Tom marriage all being genuinely exceptional in the way they were written and portrayed.