Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:12:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who for the rest of us

Started by shiftwork2, November 11, 2023, 06:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on December 23, 2023, 06:15:40 PMBecause I'm insufferable and to allow ease of browsing, I've compiled all my Who reviews into an ebook that can be read here.

Nice one, cheers for that! I've already put it to use by checking what you made of the first couple of episodes of The Space Museum.

shiftwork2

Terror of the Autons (1971, Pertwee, Jo Grant)
Now this is absolutely in my wheelhouse.  I always get on better with the terrestrials.  There is something almost out of body and vertiginous about the early Colour TV around the radio telescopes with pinks bleeding in to earthy colours of the lab, or whatever it is.  There's an interesting discourse around plastic.  Pertwee's Who is rather NOW LOOK HERE but appears to be able to take some ribbing from Jo, who is new.  The Master is good but razzes off in exactly the same coach that took the family to Holiday On The Buses, presumably giving the wanker sign out of the driver's little triangular.  9/10.

Papa Wheelie

Quote from: shiftwork2 on December 23, 2023, 09:03:57 PMTerror of the Autons (1971, Pertwee, Jo Grant)
Now this is absolutely in my wheelhouse.  I always get on better with the terrestrials.  There is something almost out of body and vertiginous about the early Colour TV around the radio telescopes with pinks bleeding in to earthy colours of the lab, or whatever it is.  There's an interesting discourse around plastic.  Pertwee's Who is rather NOW LOOK HERE but appears to be able to take some ribbing from Jo, who is new.  The Master is good but razzes off in exactly the same coach that took the family to Holiday On The Buses, presumably giving the wanker sign out of the driver's little triangular.  9/10.

This was one of my favourites during my recent Who fixation. Perfect 70s brown vibes, reasonably pacy, Jo is great, kind of spooky enemies, that little fella rolling round on the back seat. Troughton and Baker probably have more top tier stories but Pertwee era is BBC soma for me.

jamiefairlie

Yeah I love Pertwee era, the closest it got to Quatermass and my first memory of the show.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on December 23, 2023, 06:15:40 PMBecause I'm insufferable and to allow ease of browsing, I've compiled all my Who reviews into an ebook that can be read here.

Fantastic. I told you you should collect them! If there's one thing writing over 100,000 words about a TV show on Cookandbombd has taught me, it's that when you're done, you might as well stick them in a blog.