Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:45:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pool

Started by Famous Mortimer, December 12, 2023, 04:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

I just watched a new professional player, 19-year-old Eric Roberts. There's no excuse for that, really, unless his parents met while both trying to rent a VHS of "Best Of The Best".

Famous Mortimer

The Chinese 8-ball people have rebranded themselves as heyball (a transliteration of "8-ball", apparently?) and have removed the need to call a pocket. Looks like Mark Williams played there recently, too.

The one thing that's quite difficult to miss is the camera angle between frames, and the exclusively young female refs. As they're racking the balls and bending over the table...it feels deliberate? You be the judge.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 16, 2024, 03:09:22 AMThe Chinese 8-ball people have rebranded themselves as heyball (a transliteration of "8-ball", apparently?) and have removed the need to call a pocket. Looks like Mark Williams played there recently, too.

The one thing that's quite difficult to miss is the camera angle between frames, and the exclusively young female refs. As they're racking the balls and bending over the table...it feels deliberate? You be the judge.

Yes, that is well deliberate.

Famous Mortimer

Just watched another Mark Williams game from the same tournament, and he similarly thrashes his opponent. I've got no idea of how good these players are, but Williams never looked even slightly in trouble in either match and was routinely pulling off shots that I'm not sure many other players would have even seen, much less attempted.

In a few of his videos, Stephen Hendry mentioned the typical view of snooker players was that pool was a "mickey mouse game", while also walking it back a little, complimenting players like Gareth Potts, Shane van Boening and Efren Reyes. But, it's hard to shake the feeling, after watching this, that Williams could very easily dominate the pool world if he put his mind to it. He's really, really good anyway, even just after whatever limited practice he gets in between snooker stuff.

Mr_Simnock

I used to love playing pool in pubs years ago, got quite good at one point. The problem was every time I started to win a lot someone would get jealous and begin to try and piss me off each week, quit both times through it. The worse part was no one any either team seemed to be bothered to do anything about it despite me being the best player and by some margin at times.