Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:41:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jeopardy UK with Stephen Fry

Started by Blumf, January 04, 2024, 01:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

Suppose having a glamorous woman up there merely to turn the blocks would be seen as a bit sexist these days.

Also, having it all done in video would presumably speed up recording time as the wall wouldn't have to be physically reset after each question.

Indomitable Spirit

Yeah, I'm sure there's plenty of valid production and budgetary reasons for why they did, but it all just meant the show had this kind of empty, "this'll do" atmosphere which was surprising considering who they'd hired to host it.

Was expecting something more akin to Lily Savage's Blankety Blank when it came off like OJ Borg's All New Crosswits.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on January 04, 2024, 09:14:06 AMJeopardy looks daft to me. Nobody answers simple questions in that weird convoluted way.

They should be forced to phrase the question so it gramatically fits the answer.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: The Late Satoru Iwata on January 04, 2024, 07:46:33 AMJust limped through episode 1 on ITVX and boy it really is a slog. Even now I still find Fry a comforting presence but he doesn't suit this.

Maybe he doesn't suit it or maybe he'll find a rhythm. Did anyone else see the first episode of QI? I don't think it was the pilot but the first with Fry hosting. It's one of the most baffling and awkward TV shows I've ever seen. Neither the audience or contestants seemed to have a clue what was going on and then it ended.

Maybe Fry should have revived The Price is Right.

Alberon

Quote from: Indomitable Spirit on January 04, 2024, 12:04:55 PMYeah, I'm sure there's plenty of valid production and budgetary reasons for why they did, but it all just meant the show had this kind of empty, "this'll do" atmosphere which was surprising considering who they'd hired to host it.

I wouldn't be surprised if budgets are a lot tighter these days and I'd suspect a much larger share would be going on the big name host.

Indomitable Spirit

Quote from: Alberon on January 04, 2024, 12:10:11 PMI wouldn't be surprised if budgets are a lot tighter these days and I'd suspect a much larger share would be going on the big name host.

Yeah, I'm guessing with Jeopardy and WoF that the production company are assuming attaching a big name star will be enough to get the punters in.

And watching it being filmed, the general feeling I had was that they must be paying Norton a fortune as the whole thing felt well beneath him.

Quote from: Indomitable Spirit on January 04, 2024, 12:04:55 PMYeah, I'm sure there's plenty of valid production and budgetary reasons for why they did, but it all just meant the show had this kind of empty, "this'll do" atmosphere which was surprising considering who they'd hired to host it.

How in the name of fuck did it not occur to them to get Maria McErlane in to do the blocks?

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Indomitable Spirit on January 04, 2024, 12:04:55 PMWas expecting something more akin to Lily Savage's Blankety Blank

Anyone know if it was ever explained why Paul O'Grady never hosted Blind Date as Lily Savage?  It'd have improved the show if he'd hosted them 50/50 so in any given week you didn't know which host you were going to get.

thr0b

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 04, 2024, 12:20:14 PMAnyone know if it was ever explained why Paul O'Grady never hosted Blind Date as Lily Savage?  It'd have improved the show if he'd hosted them 50/50 so in any given week you didn't know which host you were going to get.

He'd retired Lily many years before. That'd be why.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: thr0b on January 04, 2024, 12:22:00 PMHe'd retired Lily many years before. That'd be why.

Ah, I didn't know that.
A shame.  Even if only one show per series had been hosted by Lily it'd have been a nice surprise/gimmick.

Snrub

Quote from: Maureen Brontë on January 04, 2024, 08:30:18 AMWas Jeopardy filmed before his accident in September (broken leg, pelvis, hip and ribs) or does it look more recent?

I think it was filmed in the summer - it originally was supposed to be on October time but ITV liked what had been filmed so much it was saved for New Year

poodlefaker

All new 321 with Alain de Botton.

The Late Satoru Iwata

Glad to hear Graham still managed to be entertaining in such a moribund atmosphere.

MojoJojo

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on January 04, 2024, 03:08:54 AMI've never liked it. Having to "answer in the form of a question" by adding "what is" is dumb as hell.  They might as well be adding "Simon says" or any other two words.

Dull trivia: Jeopardy started now long after the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1950s_quiz_show_scandals , and was marketed with as a quiz show where they give all the contestants the answers.

gilbertharding

McDead

Quote from: Mr Trumpet on January 04, 2024, 09:14:06 AMHe pushed in front of me at a buffet once and took ALL the ham (there was loads). So it's probably that.

Jeopardy looks daft to me. Nobody answers simple questions in that weird convoluted way.

It's DEFINITELY this. And quite right too, the cheeky old fucker.

superthunderstingcar

Red82

Quote from: famethrowa on January 04, 2024, 06:16:26 AMIs it maybe that Alex Trebek (RIP) had a weirdly brilliant stoic charisma that no-one else can replicate? The USA show would probably have been cancelled after a year if Alex's charmingly dry erudition hadn't carried it through.

Have you heard those Longmont Potion Castle prank phone calls with Alex Trebek?

Quote from: Snrub on January 04, 2024, 01:59:41 PMI think it was filmed in the summer - it originally was supposed to be on October time but ITV liked what had been filmed so much it was saved for New Year
Thanks. Perhaps the fall was deliberate. Because he's being blackmailed. Which is why he's still doing Sainsbury's ads.

Campbell Soupe

Where's Turd Ferguson when you need him?

Sebastian Cobb

Isn't Jeapoardy just family fortunes / generation game?

The Culture Bunker

As an aside, "I Lost on Jeopardy" is my favourite Weird Al song.

JesusAndYourBush

I remember seeing a German or Dutch version of Jeopardy on satellite and it was called VAAGSTUK!

neveragain

I will be flabbergasted if this gets a second series. It's so slow and boring and fumbly. With very middle class contestants. The longstanding love the Americans have for the original doesn't help at all, the format just seems idiotic.

famethrowa

Quote from: Red82 on January 04, 2024, 07:43:10 PMHave you heard those Longmont Potion Castle prank phone calls with Alex Trebek?

Many times sir! Love em, poor old Alex deals with the nonsense with good grace, whether negotiating the delivery of sod from Siam, or hosting a new show called WHATS CRACKIN

Butchers Blind

Why's it called Jeopardy? Do they have to answer the questions standing on a trap door above a shark invested tank?

Oh, Nobody

Kills an hour but it's no Winning Combo that's for sure.

The Late Satoru Iwata

Quote from: Alberon on January 04, 2024, 11:59:01 AMSuppose having a glamorous woman up there merely to turn the blocks would be seen as a bit sexist these days.

It's on a hiding to nothing both ways. Assuming that they'll choose a young, attractive person to do it and you aren't expecting a wide audience to get on board with the notion of a non-binary person then you either have a woman who's just there to turn blocks and look nice or you have a young bloke do it and because the host is widely known to be a gay man it has the potential to attract 'I bet you do, you dirty old bollocks' comments.

The Late Satoru Iwata

I doubt it has enough oomph to justify its own thread but I saw the Graham Norton Wheel of Fortune today and it feels like these two programmes are destined to be compared but it's night and day.

Still an hour long unnecessarily but it bumps along,  very clearly definitely has an audience and Graham bounces off 'em.

I'm actually warming to new Jeps but this does really show it up. If the atmos in the studio is as poor as @Indomitable Spirit suggested then they've done wonders in the edit.