Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:39:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Virtual Reality

Started by castro diaz, May 16, 2019, 04:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsparagusTrevor

Latest update has bust the app sharing (as well as sadly changing the logo to Meta). Me and the missus tried to have a game of mini-golf today and I kept getting a message pop up about how only one account can use an app at the same time.

Fortunately it has been confirmed as a bug (after a huge amount of forum posts on the Oculus support and Reddit) but it's been over a week since it was acknowledged.

Blue Jam

I am going to be all over this:

https://uploadvr.com/the-stanley-parable-vr-mod/

Was looking at getting the Xbone version, might just be patient and hold out for this now. This is the kind of mindfuck VR was made for.

popcorn

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on March 30, 2022, 10:45:35 PMLatest update has bust the app sharing (as well as sadly changing the logo to Meta).

I find the Meta logo really spooky, a pair of spooky sad ghost eyes in the darkness.

bomb_dog

If you've not thought about getting a VR headset yet, it's worth noting that from August, the Oculus Quest 2 is dropping the need to have a Facebook account and is raising the price by £100 for the basic system.

So I've pulled the trigger and got a Quest 2 on order as
A) component shortage means another system won't be along this cheap for a very long time
B) fuck Facebook (but I'll need a basic 'Meta' account) and if I decide to get one in the next year or so it'll be £100 more expensive
C) I can connect it to my PC and steam PC games to it.

Two days lads... Amazon have pulled their range and Argos are sold out. John Lewis or eBay still have reasonable priced stuff but the hike is on its way.

Tech websites have been questioning this decision as it takes out the bottom rung for those who are VR curious. They've obviously decided they can do this as there's no competition at this price range and can't keep selling the unit at a loss.

Cold Meat Platter

Anyone fancy destroying the Red Letter Media set?

Memorex MP3

Quote from: bomb_dog on July 30, 2022, 08:38:09 AMThey've obviously decided they can do this as there's no competition at this price range and can't keep selling the unit at a loss.
I'd say it's more about controlling the response to the next one being drastically more than the Quest 2 than anything to do with the Quest 2's continued fortunes tbh. The Quest 2 has probably sold the bulk of its all time sales by now

Think Facebook really shat the bed on VR with the Meta pivot and made VR seem infinitely uncool right at the point where it was becoming kind of accessible. Doesn't help that it all tied so heavily into Metaverse NFT nonsense.

bomb_dog

Meta bastards still haven't decoupled from Facebook yet so it's still in the box.

Blue Jam

You all bored of VR then?

Dusted off my Quest 2 this week and have been doing some VR fitness stuff and considering some new purchases. Bone Lab looks my kind of thing, anyone had a go?

dr beat

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 05, 2023, 04:52:05 PMYou all bored of VR then?

Yeah, sort of ruined it by trying to get into PC VR - which largely consists of buggering about with settings all the time, rather than enjoying an immersive gaming experience. Which in turn meant I haven't bothered with the Quest as much.

Looks like there's a lot of new content for Walkabout golf. @Cold Meat Platter might have some worthwhile recommendations

Ferris

Loved Walkabout Golf, the island one is my happy place. Incredible sense of place for a game that's basically mini-put for adults.

falafel

FitXR has been good for me. Don't really have time for much else. Haven't played an actual game on any platform for more than 5 minutes this year. So that makes the Quest my most used device after my phone, I suppose. But not really making the most of it. I did just buy Not For Broadcast which seems like a really good fit, now i just need to wait a couple of years till I have 20 minutes to sink into it and never play again.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Ferris on April 06, 2023, 12:30:05 AMLoved Walkabout Golf, the island one is my happy place. Incredible sense of place for a game that's basically mini-put for adults.

Think I'm going to give this a go over the weekend, looks right up my street. I love VR but due to the faffing about that's already been mentioned and motion sickness I've not really used it since lockdown aside from testing a game for work. Thrill of the Fight 2 coming later in the year and will feature multiplayer, excited about that.

Ferris

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 06, 2023, 12:43:58 PMThink I'm going to give this a go over the weekend, looks right up my street. I love VR but due to the faffing about that's already been mentioned and motion sickness I've not really used it since lockdown aside from testing a game for work. Thrill of the Fight 2 coming later in the year and will feature multiplayer, excited about that.

It's one of those games that's clearly been a labour of love for someone, as it is far better than it needs to be.

The golf aspect is great and engaging enough, but the extra stuff you don't expect like the treasure hunts and ability to fly around and investigate the whole little world really make it as an experience.

Ferris

Also you can do remote multiplayer and batter a load of CaBbers play with others.

El Unicornio, mang

Sounds good. Might even have a cocktail or two whilst playing to replicate the Ghetto/Junkyard etc Golf experience

Ferris

I was playing while drinking beer which meant my little avatar had an avuncular "leaning against the bar" feel because your hands and headset locations are broadcast as part of the remote multiplayer (as well as approximate height) so you can tell when someone is necking a cider or sitting down etc.

It's a very unusual experience. I'd quite like to get a tournament going cos it was a laugh last time. Plus everyone's headset runs out at the 90 minute mark which means there's no awkward "ooh shall we hang around" because the technology more or less cuts everyone off at the same time.

Recommended.

Blue Jam

Anyone up for another CaB VR golf meet? I will try to swear a bit less this time.

Memorex MP3

I've had a bit of a vr resurgence recently. Connected a game pad to my Quest to play Tetris Effect and it's just drastically better when you have a dpad.

That led to some tinkering with piracy which got me all the Beat Saber DLC and the official licensed tracks are uniformly far more pleasant than the hyper aggressive patterns in custom tracks. Been playing Extreme difficulty and not detesting it.

My Elite Strap snapping (just in time to get a warranty replacement 🙌) led to me using the original strap too which I've kind of been preferring. Makes the device so much more compact that I feel more compelled to bring it to other peoples places too

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 06, 2023, 02:44:10 PMAnyone up for another CaB VR golf meet? I will try to swear a bit less this time.

I'm in!

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 06, 2023, 02:44:10 PMAnyone up for another CaB VR golf meet? I will try to swear a bit less this time.

Quote from: Ferris on April 06, 2023, 03:05:27 PMI'm in!

Yeah I'm up for that

El Unicornio, mang

I might be up for it although I need to have some practice. Bought it the other day and did a solo round and I'm as shit as I am in real life. Lovely game though, very relaxing.

Ferris

I've not played since the last e-meet so my skills are decidedly rusty.

Next Friday? I'm free in the day which likely ties up with other peoples evenings due to time differences. 6/7pm UK time?

PlanktonSideburns

Fuckin aberystwyth piers's arcade got vr now. Crazy

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on April 09, 2023, 05:12:44 PMI might be up for it although I need to have some practice. Bought it the other day and did a solo round and I'm as shit as I am in real life. Lovely game though, very relaxing.

Are you like me and do little nods of appreciation or even bow to the applause when you get a hole in one or a birdie?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 09, 2023, 08:02:29 PMAre you like me and do little nods of appreciation or even bow to the applause when you get a hole in one or a birdie?

I might when I actually accomplish these feats. So far just the awkwardness of putting my ball in the water.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 09, 2023, 08:02:29 PMAre you like me and do little nods of appreciation or even bow to the applause when you get a hole in one or a birdie?

So I managed a hole in one last night and a few birdies and yeah similar reaction.

The Quixote Valley (windmills/sheep) course on this game is absolutely gorgeous. Like, had to stop a few times just to look around and soak in the surroundings. Felt like being in a Zelda game. Played the desert one before it which was cool but something about the desolation and music had me feeling a bit uneasy. I guess that's the point though, brilliant attention to detail with the atmosphere of each course. Definitely will purchase the add-on courses down the line.

Ferris

@El Unicornio, mang have you done flying yet? You hold up on the right controller joystick until the gravity breaks and you can zoom about.

It's how you complete the treasure hunts, and each course has some lovely secret stuff to discover. It's needlessly well-designed for a golf game.

El Unicornio, mang

Haven't tried doing that yet but will next time I play.

Looking forward to this DLC coming next week

Blue Jam

The space golf course is all purple and yellow. Looks a bit UKIP.