Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:17:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch: Thread 2: The Drift

Started by madhair60, September 05, 2019, 11:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

are you a Switch Bitch

Yes
48 (60.8%)
No
6 (7.6%)
Raoul Moat
25 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

BritishHobo

Glad (genuinely, not ironically) that with the Assassin's Creed double-pack I can continue my gaming lifestyle of being fucking ages behind. Having finally played Skyrim I can move back on to this series. I completed III and played a bit of Black Flag about three years ago. Can catch up now, and then play Assassins Creed: Unity on the Nintendo console after next in 2032.

MojoJojo

Yes, making it big screen only would put it in direct competition to PS and Xbox which would be mad.

Turns out that thing they were teasing is Ring Fit Adventure, an RPG about a body building dragon:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch/Ring-Fit-Adventure-1638708.html

madhair60

Twed

I hope the device is called a ringpiece. I really hope this.

Beagle 2

What's that guy all about? If he's in it I'll buy one.

I've no idea who this is aimed at. Just make it sport-based pls. It sickens me when people try and do creative and original things with entertainment.

Kelvin

Finished Astral Chain yesterday. I'll write up my thoughts in more detail in the dedicated thread over the next day or so, but I thought I'd make a more general post here saying how excellent it is; its now comfortably my second favourite Switch game after Breath of the Wild. 

If you've ever liked either a Platinum game, or perhaps more surprisingly, a Deus Ex game, I would absolutely implore you to try Astral Chain. Also; if you're put off because you assume the controls will be prohibitively complicated, or the combat over-reliant on learning combos, I can assure you it isn't. Even on the standard difficulty, the moves are rolled out at a manageable pace and integrated into the gameplay for more than just combat. Plus, the game has two easier modes for people who want simpler controls and/or easier fights. Although playing on standard, I only died (i.e. lost all my revivals) on a couple of occasions, anyway.   

It's also not held back by the arch snarK of Bayonetta. Despite certain bosses and sequences getting pretty crazy, the game itself is far more grounded overall, and as I said before, often feels more like a Deux Ex game, as you take on side quests, explore large, bustling open areas, and uncover elements of the wider mystery. The game's an absolute pleasure to play 95% of the time, and the high points - of which there are many - will put an absolutely massive grin on your face.

madhair60

I was just looking up some gameplay and good lord the state of that screen. What's all that shit all over the screen?!

Also, I hope there isn't constant chatter because that's one of my pet peeves.

It looks visually superb for a Switch game

madhair60

I covered up the UI in MS Paint.

Torn between this, Fire Emblem or waiting for Luigi's Mansion for my last Game Voucher

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on September 12, 2019, 11:42:15 PM

I was just looking up some gameplay and good lord the state of that screen. What's all that shit all over the screen?!

Also, I hope there isn't constant chatter because that's one of my pet peeves.

It looks visually superb for a Switch game

That's just a shot from the intro where they're explaining the movement controls. You can see the box on the right is showing how to use the basic attack.

You can also turn off any of the remaining stuff.

Definitely not constant chatter either. Most of the time you're by yourself. You can go up to characters to talk to them (some voiced, some not), as with any game with NPCs.

And yes; bar a few weird textures on cars, it looks great and runs brilliantly.

edit: in fact the pic is very deceptive. The numbers with a star next to it is a brief score that appear after a fight, immediately slides into the top left, then vanishes. The "red matter" text appears only when you collect red matter, and then only for a few seconds.

Here's a more accurate pic:

madhair60

yeah that's much better.

There's exploration/platforming in this one right?

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on September 12, 2019, 11:59:21 PM
yeah that's much better.

There's exploration/platforming in this one right?

Yep, exploration of fairly large open areas with lots of people to give you jobs and quests. You basically have a few primary objectives to complete, then you can leave for the next section... but it's always more fun to hang around and do a bunch of jobs for people. Especially as many of these side stories carry over into later levels and build on the plots if you complete the earlier segments. As I say; think Deus Ex - where you can just move on to the next section, but it pays off to explore, talk to people and do jobs.

Platforming is mostly very good. Occasionally a bit of jank, but nothing that put me off the sections. You don't have a traditional jump button, though. You use your "legions" - 5 monsters with different powers that are chained to you arm - to solve puzzles, traverse different types of terrain and jump gaps. It's actually got more in common with a Zelda dungeon than a platformer, really.

The game is basically split between these three types of gameplay: combat, exploration, playtforming/puzzle solving. And usually a hub area at the start of each level where you can upgrade, change clothes, train, etc.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: MojoJojo on September 11, 2019, 09:19:38 PM
Yes, making it big screen only would put it in direct competition to PS and Xbox which would be mad.

No it wouldn't. The wii wasn't a serious competitor to the PS3/360.

MojoJojo

The Wii had the gimmick controls to separate it out, and did best with games based around those. If you take away all the games based around the Wiimote away there's nothing left to justify the console.

(well, apart from Mario).

Maybe it's just me, but most of what I play on the Switch I could also play on the PS4, but the portable option means I get it on Switch.

We've already done the 'why don't they just make a box to stick under the telly' three years ago when biggy et al were determined that the Switch would tank. It's already overtaken the total PS4 sales in Japan. They're doing OK. If you want to buy a console only version, just don't take it out the dock.

Sebastian Cobb

That's the point though isn't it, I've got to pay an extra hundred quid for all that screen and battery gubbins I'm never going to use, and it's pushed the price up enough that I've not bothered to buy one.

You will though anyway. You think you won't but you will.

Twed

Untitled Goose Game and Link's Awakening on Friday. A lot of "my kind of game" all at once.

Beagle 2

Yes, there does suddenly seem to be fucking millions of games on this thing. Even a decent racing game at last - £30 for GRID Autosport is a nice surprise and I'm definitely going to pick that up. I'm cancelling my Xbox game pass, great value but I haven't turned the thing on in about two months. Switch all the way.

I'm really enjoying playing through Yoshi's Island for the first time with my son. I think it does live up to the hype, although I'm racing through it with rewinds, that's ideal for a half hour a night before bed.

madhair60

Quote from: Twed on September 19, 2019, 01:27:11 AM
Untitled Goose Game and Link's Awakening on Friday. A lot of "my kind of game" all at once.

Ooh, LA is tomorrow!! That's me set for the weekend.

Bazooka

Quote from: Beagle 2 on September 19, 2019, 10:38:40 AM
Yes, there does suddenly seem to be fucking millions of games on this thing. Even a decent racing game at last - £30 for GRID Autosport is a nice surprise and I'm definitely going to pick that up. I'm cancelling my Xbox game pass, great value but I haven't turned the thing on in about two months. Switch all the way.

I'm really enjoying playing through Yoshi's Island for the first time with my son. I think it does live up to the hype, although I'm racing through it with rewinds, that's ideal for a half hour a night before bed.

Grid Auto sport at £30? Its great and all, but came out when fire was first discovered.

Beagle 2

Fully expected it to be £50, can play it on the can.

Also it has all the dlc included which is still £30 in itself. I don't think they're ripping us off this time.

brat-sampson

And here I am waiting for my Anime Mystery Headfuck-em-up AI: The Somnium Files to unlock.

By the guy behind the 999 locked-room series, so I'm down day one.

Sounds based. Might get that'd topic if I'm not gonna have time kids. I loved Hotel Dusk, which I think was the same chodder.

madhair60

They should put Danganronpa on the Switch TO BE FUCKING HONEST.

Twed

Yeah, seems perfect really. I just had to buy a PSTV and Danganronpa 2 for my girlfriend to play it again (she loves the Vita version)

madhair60

I'm playing 2 right now. I don't like it as much as 1. The first one is weird and everything's creepy, the second one is weird and everything's horny.

No spoilers please.

Jerzy Bondov

I liked 1 much more and even my enjoyment of that was quite grudging. In 2 some girl keeps falling over and you can nearly see right up her. A bit much.

The game Switch really needs is the almighty 428 Shibuya Scramble.