Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:23:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Terrible album covers thread Part 2

Started by chveik, January 04, 2020, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: purlieu on August 01, 2022, 05:12:37 PMThe second one is a DIY ambient release, which is an area of music responsible for some of the worst album art of all time.
NSFW dark ambient cover here.

Lol, the look on her face. I don't blame her, it looks pretty painful.

BlodwynPig

Glebe

Cowell on the cover there. I have a beer mat from The Bulldog actually.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: purlieu on August 01, 2022, 04:08:23 PM
While it may well be shite, it's just the same image as from Irvine Welsh's "Ecstasy" with a different colour filter. Evidently, large garishly coloured bald men were in vogue at the time.

Glebe

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Ferris on July 10, 2022, 10:39:42 PM@greencalx don't bring that up again!

An absolutely dogshit album cover that was defended on the basis it clearly stated the artist and album name.

I stand by my opinion that it's total shit though.

I'm happy to get bogged down in it again if anyone's up for it?

Ferris

Yeah I'm a more established poster now so I could go another few rounds on what a load of shit that is.

My point at the time: I'm sure there are worse covers out there (and it has the artist name and album name clearly emblazoned on the sleeve so it's not "incompetent", per se), but fuck me it's so bloody awful on several levels.

Ferris

The dog egg in question:

Look at it! Christ.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 01, 2022, 06:02:53 PMWhile it may well be shite, it's just the same image as from Irvine Welsh's "Ecstasy" with a different colour filter. Evidently, large garishly coloured bald men were in vogue at the time.

They've put a shrek in it

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Ferris on August 02, 2022, 12:57:00 AMThe dog egg in question:

Look at it! Christ.

You gotta hand it to them tho, they managed to get the album title and artist name in it

QDRPHNC

Going to do a deep dive on this tomorrow.

Ferris

Hi George mate, want to put the guitar actually on your shoulder? Or make a chord shape? Otherwise it looks a bit... bit odd mate. Like you're going through the motions, you know, for an album you're trying to sell.

Also we could zoom it out a bit, pop you in the centre? Otherwise we've kept your centreline at 1/3 frame which isn't ideal and the only visual benefit to that approach is to include the headstock of the guitar you're not playing and your hand not making a chord which is fine but it means the bottom quarter of the cover is just... nothing. Also looks a bit sort of lazy (see point one) and we're doing a lot of relying on the background which seems unnecessary.

Speaking of, is the background alright? The record is called "cloud nine", right? So maybe the image should be fluffy clouds, you know, like the phrase 'cloud nine' otherwise it just looks like some fog, a bit. Makes the whole thing feel grey and miserable, like Manchester in June.

And what's the bottom half of that background image anyway; mist? Like a damp atmosphere we all have to endure? Is that the image we want to evoke? Not sure if that's the best idea really.

George, mate, can we have a second look at this? Maybe just a few other options to think about? And maybe you could do the promo without the mirror sunglasses and indecisive beard? Maybe cut back on the "children's presenter" grin?

No no, you're right - it has your name and the album title in legible script and therefore is an acceptable (and even defensible!) piece of work; carry on. We are fortunate to have your artistic vision to hew towards.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Glebe on August 01, 2022, 06:50:06 PMThat's a pretty big boast.

Especially since the photo looks like it captured Leo at the exact moment he lost the power of flight. Might as well be bloody Hans Gruber on the cover.

The Mollusk

Look at it! Christ.

My favourite thing about this cover has always been the sliver of nice blue sky and clouds between the artist name and title. It's like Twin Peaks or something. George has become possessed by some otherworldly entity and he's captured all the niceness in the world. There he is inhabited by a demonic force doing his best to imitate a happy human playing a nice song on his guitar and the kids are buying it and the evil is spreading. Meanwhile the niceness remains trapped in the corner and it's up to some plucky intrepid kids to figure it out and go face off with him in the shadow realm.

purlieu

It's a shit cover, but I still maintain that a lot of that is just late '80s garishness, and it doesn't stand out as dramatically worse than a lot of other albums from the time.

Glebe

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 02, 2022, 07:01:12 AMEspecially since the photo looks like it captured Leo at the exact moment he lost the power of flight. Might as well be bloody Hans Gruber on the cover.

It's also 'possible' (?) that Leo and the photographer where tossed out of a plane by some rival '70s pop singer -  Gilbert O' Sullivan perhaps - hoping to lessen the competition during the packed maudlin pop star era.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: purlieu on August 02, 2022, 11:29:09 AMIt's a shit atrocity, but I still maintain that a lot of that is just nazi garishness, and it doesn't stand out as dramatically worse than a lot of other mass murders from the time.

Also the names and ranks of the offending officers were at least clearly visible

Bennett Brauer

I reckon George had seen a terrible Steve Hillage cover from 10 years before and thought I'm having some of that.

Glebe

^Is it any wonder the aliens won't answer us?!

purlieu

purlieu

Egyptian Feast

Haha, fucking hell. A terrible idea poorly executed. What a stinker.

Pauline Walnuts

Look at it! Christ.

I like that, I like his cheesy grin. A bit like this Not Safe For Work One

The Bumlord

Yeah, I like to think it was just George showing off his new teeth.

PlanktonSideburns

at least his teeth are clearly labeled with the kitemark

purlieu

Famous Mortimer

I kind of like extremely home-made-looking ones like that.

PlanktonSideburns

Had a quick listen to the album, sounds like it could be alright

jenna appleseed

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on August 24, 2022, 07:19:14 AMHad a quick listen to the album, sounds like it could be alright

^ I just tried googling it and google suggested I wanted a Birds Of A Feather ghost.