Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:46:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

More inessential shit from the backwaters of old TV you somehow still remember

Started by non capisco, November 02, 2020, 11:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Maureen Brontë on January 02, 2024, 01:09:08 PMPossibly The Upchat Line? Bit of a long shot, but that was John Alderton as a chancer and womaniser of no fixed abode. The second series, The Upchat Connection, had Robin Nedwell in the lead role. I think he lived out of a locker in a railway station, but maybe had to live in other kooky zany places too.
An episode of "The Upchat Connection" can be seen here, and the opening credits is him "living" in a phone box. And this episode of "The Upchat Line" mentions him living out of a locker at the train station.

Perhaps you saw The Upchat Connection and Bottle Boys on the same night?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 02, 2024, 03:28:30 PMAn episode of "The Upchat Connection" can be seen here, and the opening credits is him "living" in a phone box. And this episode of "The Upchat Line" mentions him living out of a locker at the train station.

Perhaps you saw The Upchat Connection and Bottle Boys on the same night?

Nobody can be that lucky

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I think I've probably mentioned it on here before, but (I think) Channel 4 did a series of short horror movies in the 90s, and there was one about a guy who, every time he looked in a mirror, he saw some black clad figure trying to force entry into his house, like he'd see him clambering through a window, but when he looked behind him there was nobody there. I think it ended with him in his car and looking in his rear view mirror and the man in black was behind him in the back seat. I remember finding it really quite scary, in a Candyman sort of way, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, or what year it was from.

Quote from: Bingo Fury on November 21, 2023, 12:59:56 PMLodged in my head since the early '70s: some cop show, definitely a multi-camera BBC production and quite likely on a Saturday night, when they were trying to engage with the counter-culture by way of a plot in which two hippy guys were trying to gain admittance to this venerable bearded guru's cult, and had to bring him a gift by way of introduction. I can't remember what the first guy presented him with, but the guru says, "It is accep-a-table," and lets him join. The second guy has brought a painting of a naked woman as an offering and the guru says to him, "It is not accep-a-table" and shoos him away. It doesn't sound like Dixon of Dock Green territory, but I'm sure it was that kind of show or in that timeslot.

There is a Dixon of Dock Green episode from the 70s which involves someone as a fake guru - a white man in make-up, pretending to be south Asian. So it might be that.

jobotic

Off topic but I looked up Robin Nedwell as I didn't know who he was.
 He's on here.

Him, Cheryl Baker and the regulars aside, who are these people? Reckon I could ask this about all episodes.

Gulftastic

Henry McGee was a Benny Hill regular. He was "Two Ton Ted' in 'Ernie'.

Andrew O'connor was an impressionist, back when that was a genuine career path in showbiz

The women though, I got nothing.

George White

Janine Wood was the daughter in After Henry.

Barbara Murray - 50s movie starlet, was in Passport to Pimlico, I know her best as Richard Greene's wife who wishes him embalmed alive for eternity in Tales from the Crypt, was in 60s ITV boardroom soap The Power Game, then in period dramas like the Pallisers and the Bretts. Was also the mother in Robin's Nest. One of those people who was once genuinely a star but now unless you watch TalkingpicturesTV or remember her appearance in Doctor Who, is utterly forgotten.

jobotic

Thanks both.

The name Barbara Murray rings a bell. No recollection of the others though.

Ambient Sheep

If it's the same Andrew O'Connor, wasn't he more of a children's magician type?

Then he became a TV producer, running Objective Productions that did most of Derren Brown's output, Peep Show and, er, Balls of Steel.

I had no idea about the two women either, thanks to @George White for filling in. :-)

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Alternative Carpark on January 03, 2024, 06:57:46 AMThere is a Dixon of Dock Green episode from the 70s which involves someone as a fake guru - a white man in make-up, pretending to be south Asian. So it might be that.

Talking Pictures TV are going to be running the surviving 32 episodes (out of 432 total made!) of Dixon, starting on Sat 13th January at 7.20pm.

So, if you're very lucky, AND Ofcom allow it, you might yet get to see it!

Fake EDIT: S21E05 - Baubles, Bangles and Beads (tx 15/03/1975), with Ken Wynne as a character called simply "Guru", was the 17th to last shown, and has a star rating (7.0) and a screenshot on IMDb (although no reviews), so you might well be in luck!

copa

I've often searched but never found any references to a particular episode of As it Happens on Channel 4.

It featured an annoying presenter, who may have been Nino Firetto, filming live at a police training centre. It was all fairly bland and daytime TV until they start doing some riot training. They had a mock-up of an urban street scene with loads of police taking on the role of rioters, and giving them blocks of wood to chuck.

And it all kicks off. Coppers/rioters acting feral, letting off steam and unleashing all their pent-up frustrations. The presenter and camera crew, who I don't think were wearing protection, start getting pelted with missiles. From the chummy patter it quickly becomes genuine terror as Nino and crew are trying to take cover and live feed goes dead...over to adverts. Can't remember if it restarted or not.

Anyone else remember it? Think it was early 90s and shown in the daytime.

Glebe

Quote from: Gulftastic on January 03, 2024, 08:06:55 AMHenry McGee was a Benny Hill regular. He was "Two Ton Ted' in 'Ernie'.

Shared a house with the Honey Monster. "I'm not his mummy."

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Glebe on January 05, 2024, 12:52:24 AMShared a house with the Honey Monster. "I'm not his mummy."

Henry's face betrayed his unhappiness at Honey Monster chucking his sugar puffs up him