Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:02:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Steam Deck

Started by Schmo Diddley, November 24, 2021, 02:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

Can you hook it up to a monitor/tv like the switch? also could you use it for watching films or actually doing any stuff like checking emails.

I've got some international travel coming up next year and wondering whether this might be useful thing to have.

bomb_dog

You can, however I believe there's power problems in that there's only one USB-C socket and have to have a hub to display on a monitor or telly. It works, but doesn't stay charged or get charged whilst on a hub at the moment.

Still some work to do on the firmware I believe and the official dock has been delayed.

JamesTC

There are docking stations that you can use but it would be best to wait for the official Valve one that should hopefully be out in the next three or four months. They are also putting more work in the firmware but you can also install Windows on it if you want.

JamesTC

Just popped up that I could order mine! A good thing I spent a few days organising my emulation collection. 200gb of pure gold.

Emudeck apparently makes it a dream to set up on the Deck.

Memorex MP3

I should just order one of these... the price is probably not going to go down for years and years and I'll inevitably wind up getting one anyway

Is the shitty cheap one sufficient?

Fuck it, preordered one. Don't think I can justify the extra money for the other two when I don't give a shite about loading speeds usually.

JamesTC

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on August 08, 2022, 06:40:41 PMIs the shitty cheap one sufficient?

Fuck it, preordered one. Don't think I can justify the extra money for the other two when I don't give a shite about loading speeds usually.

If needs be, it is very easy to replace the SSD inside it with a faster/bigger one, and you'll end up saving money overall. Plus you could put a 1TB or 2TB SSD in if you wanted.

Micro SD cards (so long as you get a good one) are still good enough on AAA games, apparently. The difference in load time between SSD and Micro SD card do not sound to be significant.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: JamesTC on August 04, 2022, 06:55:24 PMJust popped up that I could order mine! A good thing I spent a few days organising my emulation collection. 200gb of pure gold.

Emudeck apparently makes it a dream to set up on the Deck.

So does each folder contain the PC emulator for that platform?

JamesTC

Quote from: jamiefairlie on August 09, 2022, 10:45:51 PMSo does each folder contain the PC emulator for that platform?

That is just the folder on my PC filled with ROMs. Emudeck sets up all the folders for you on the deck when you install it and you just need to move the ROMs into the right folder.

It sets up most of the emulators straight away although some need BIOS files too (PSX, PS2, Xbox, DS to name a few) and some need additional files (PS3 needs firmware, Xbox needs a harddrive file, Switch needs firmware and game keys). A quick Google search should help find the files for each specific emulator plus the Github page which has a handy table of the required extra files.

JamesTC

Of course they attempt to deliver my Steam Deck on the one day I am out the house for 90 minutes for a funeral (missed it by less than 5 minutes).

And they'll retry delivering tomorrow when I'm going out straight after work so will not have any time to play.

Woe is me.

Joe Qunt

I'm not a big fan of Steam Deck, but I will say it's one of the healthiest ways to prepare Deck.

beanheadmcginty

Anybody else put off by the fact that "Cleveland steamer" and "top deck" are both to do with shitting in unusual places?

Neomod

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on August 10, 2022, 02:20:27 PMAnybody else put off by the fact that "Cleveland steamer" and "top deck" are both to do with shitting in unusual places?

That's a shame, I used to love the limeade and lager.

Maybe the unusual place to shit was 'on location with the Sweeney'.

Jerzy Bondov

Right then I've had this fucker for a while now so here's my review of the Steam Deck
  • I thought I'd do loads of emulation on here but so far haven't really. Emudeck is very good and helps you just add the games so they come up in your Steam library with art work and everything. I've tried Mega Drive, Saturn and 3DS; all run well.
  • I also planned on playing non-Steam games a lot more. I've got various freebies stacked up on Epic and EA Play and others, and while it's not actually too much effort to get them running, I just vaguely feel like they don't work as well as if they were proper Steam games. Also Steam doesn't record your playtime so I feel like why bother playing a game if it's not going to be recorded somewhere.
  • Playing Steam games on it is predictably the best experience. Not had any trouble with Verified or Playable games. If they are unknown you can look them up in ProtonDB so you know what you're getting.
  • The controls are great. Sticks and triggers are perfect. D-pad isn't brilliant but it's fine. The track pads aren't comfortable to use for a long period of time, but their haptic feedback is really satisfying.
  • Obviously it's absolutely fucking massive beyond belief. But it doesn't bother me because it's comfortable to hold and not too heavy.
  • Battery life is really variable depending on what you're playing and the settings you're using. But I generally don't play games for hour after hour so I've had no issues with it.
  • DO NOT install Vampire Survivors if you want to do anything other than play Vampire Survivors
  • Disco Elysium is one of the best games I've ever played. Yes it's on Switch but there's a great community controller layout that gives you the best mix of joypad and mouse controls.
  • Actually most of the games I've really enjoyed on here are also on the Switch. Why did I waste my money on this

JamesTC

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on September 16, 2022, 12:37:00 PMRight then I've had this fucker for a while now so here's my review of the Steam Deck
  • I thought I'd do loads of emulation on here but so far haven't really. Emudeck is very good and helps you just add the games so they come up in your Steam library with art work and everything. I've tried Mega Drive, Saturn and 3DS; all run well.

I've had very little trouble with emulation now it is up and running.

You can upscale PS1 games using Duckstation so they look incredible. PS2 games run really well. PSP games can be upscaled and look amazing.

DS games work surprisingly well. I had so much fun playing through New Super Mario Bros again. Also played through the 3DS sequel, worked well but I didn't think was as good a game.

The only PS3 games I have downloaded is the MGS HD Collection. Peace Walker and MGS2 seem to work flawlessly from what I have played. MGS3 is stuttery with a low framerate so have to play PS2 version for that one which isn't much of a problem.

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on September 16, 2022, 12:37:00 PM
  • DO NOT install Vampire Survivors if you want to do anything other than play Vampire Survivors

I've just bought Vampire Survivors as I saw it was going to go up in price.

Bloons TD 5 is the non-emulated game I've played obsessively for a bit on it. Need to start Bloons TD 6.

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on September 16, 2022, 12:37:00 PM
  • Disco Elysium is one of the best games I've ever played. Yes it's on Switch but there's a great community controller layout that gives you the best mix of joypad and mouse controls.
  • Actually most of the games I've really enjoyed on here are also on the Switch. Why did I waste my money on this

I have a Micro SD card filled with Switch games (as well as Wii, Gamecube, DS, 3DS). Then I have another filled with PS1, PS2, PS3 and PSP games. Then an SDD filled with Steam games. Can't get all that on a Switch.

jamiefairlie

Does Emudeck work on a regular Windows  PC too?

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: jamiefairlie on September 16, 2022, 07:44:38 PMDoes Emudeck work on a regular Windows  PC too?
It's only Linux at the moment but they're working on a Windows version. It's really just a package of emulators and settings so it doesn't do anything you couldn't do yourself if you could be arsed (I couldn't)

Memorex MP3

I see my Steam Deck has been bumped from October-December to September-December; so it could arrive literally any time?

Couple of questions:
- Anyone know how it handles PS2 and Wii games at 1080p via HDMI out? Limiting them to 30fps would be fine.
- Anyone try streaming from it? I do some streams with my family occasionally and would like to be able to do them via a portable device, might use a tablet as a second screen with some VNC tool to display the streaming tools. Obvs wouldn't be using a webcam but I imagine I could hack one together with an ESP32 or something if I wanted

Memorex MP3

Got the email that it's ready to order 🙌

falafel

I got my email a few weeks ago... And declined. On balance it strikes me as a lot of money, given that I work from home,  so don't have a commute, and also live in the middle of nowhere, so don't have anywhere to take it, and have barely any time for games anyway. I have decided to get a decent controller grip for my phone, use Steam Link and when we finally get fibre installed to subscribe to Geforce Now or something and get access to a big chunk of my Steam library anyway. That plus my Switch will probably do me for portable-ish gaming, until they come out with a new version in a couple of years that is hopefully less chunky and has better battery life.

Jerzy Bondov

You've just made the biggest mistake of your life

falafel

Nah mate the wedding was two years ago ARF ARF

Cuellar

Yes I got the email too and I'm trying to decide if I should bother.

Might take it to work to charge it and use it in lieu of my pc at home to save on the electric

The Bumlord

Quote from: falafel on September 23, 2022, 07:43:54 AMI got my email a few weeks ago... And declined. On balance it strikes me as a lot of money, given that I work from home,  so don't have a commute, and also live in the middle of nowhere, so don't have anywhere to take it, and have barely any time for games anyway. I have decided to get a decent controller grip for my phone, use Steam Link and when we finally get fibre installed to subscribe to Geforce Now or something and get access to a big chunk of my Steam library anyway. That plus my Switch will probably do me for portable-ish gaming, until they come out with a new version in a couple of years that is hopefully less chunky and has better battery life.

This was my thinking. I have a decent PC and a Switch, it would be a waste of money just for the fleeting thrill of a new gadget.

Bought it anyway mind.

falafel

And you regret it deeply

please

bomb_dog

Mate of mine bought one, found he didn't use it much. Now it's sat in the window of the local CEX and he's about £100 better off as they're going for more than you can buy them from Steam.

Cuellar

My deadline was 11.43 this morning, got to about 11.30 and didn't feel any panic about almost forgetting it, was quite content to let it go, let the time run out.

Then panicked and ordered it anyway with about 5 minutes to spare lol.

Memorex MP3

Given how little I use my PC the thing I should've actually done was just buy a beast of a gaming laptop instead and accept it wouldn't be worth a shit in a couple of years. Steam Deck will probably ultimately wind up serving the same purpose in a weirder skightly more portable form factor.

It's pretty much inevitable that I'd buy a Steam Deck at some point as an emulation and indie games machine purely for the ecosystem around it. It'll be the base level device for a lot of games for presumably years and years too and as someone who still plays games at 1080p 30fps (or even 24fps) on my 4K 32" inch monitor , I imagine it'll do me just fine.
Can always shove a 3080 and an i7/i9 into my desktop in a few years if I do need an upgrade for some bigger games I rarely go near.

Reckon my Switch will still be my most played device, if only for social reasons.

The Bumlord

Quote from: falafel on September 24, 2022, 12:51:17 PMAnd you regret it deeply

please

Sort of, especially as I'm not commuting much at the moment.

On the other hand, I can play RDR2 on the toilet, so...

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Cuellar on September 24, 2022, 10:05:58 AMYes I got the email too and I'm trying to decide if I should bother.

Might take it to work to charge it and use it in lieu of my pc at home to save on the electric
Not only can you charge it at work, you can dock it there, hide it under some paper, and play point and click adventures while looking like you're working