Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:54:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Forza Horizon 5: Aztec Boogaloo

Started by Blue Jam, November 28, 2021, 07:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

Yeah that's not going to make up for cars disappearing from my garage, unlocked cars not appearing at all, accolades not popping or resetting after a day, non-stop connection issues etc. At this point I'd just settle for them putting the categories of cars in alphabetical order when you do a search, I'd consider that a win. It's such a shame because they've built this fucking amazing playground but there are a few too many niggles that can't be labelled as teething problems.

Famous Mortimer

I'm struggling with the seasonal championships at the moment - the truck one seems very very difficult if you're not racing the more expensive of the two available, which I wish I'd known before I'd wasted my money on the cheap one (and upgrades). Same with the retro saloon one, picked one which looked nice, upgraded it to the top of B class and was getting passed on the first lap.

Happy to admit to being shit at tuning cars, but neither of them even felt all that competitive with what I had.

Chollis

do people tune themselves? there's a lot of good tunes on the subreddit, people make nice Google docs for each class/race type, so i've just been downloading those

a question about tuning, since I don't do my own tunes. playing FH4 still but guessing this applies to most titles.
the big spoilers and wide body kits that seem to be on most higher class tunes, i'm assuming you can't change those cosmetic aspects without losing the performance improvements (wide body kit for higher acceleration and grip, or whatever)?
just wanted a sexy little Porsche GT3, Lotus Elise etc with the stock body. i love nimble/agile looking cars. but they all have horrible bodykit additions, it seems most B or A class cars being tuned to S1 do.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah I've never tuned a single car, I download a tune every time, that's why I never have cash to buy houses or cars, it can set you back 100k credits for a decent S1/S2 tune but I wouldn't even know where to start with doing it myself. That's the reason I play Horizon over Motorsport, I don't want the realism and simulation, I just want the fun driving part, let someone else fuck about with their head under the bonnet.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Chollis on December 04, 2021, 05:41:46 PMdo people tune themselves? there's a lot of good tunes on the subreddit, people make nice Google docs for each class/race type, so i've just been downloading those

a question about tuning, since I don't do my own tunes. playing FH4 still but guessing this applies to most titles.
the big spoilers and wide body kits that seem to be on most higher class tunes, i'm assuming you can't change those cosmetic aspects without losing the performance improvements (wide body kit for higher acceleration and grip, or whatever)?
just wanted a sexy little Porsche GT3, Lotus Elise etc with the stock body. i love nimble/agile looking cars. but they all have horrible bodykit additions, it seems most B or A class cars being tuned to S1 do.

I always do my own upgrades, and only do additional setup tuning with diffs, tire pressures etc. if I really need to, which is hardly ever.

If I screw up the upgrade, like my initial R390 build which was too handling focused and lacked the ponies on the straight - a problem on Pro difficulty where you start in 10th - I just go back and re-distribute the PI.

If you're doing upgrades yourself, look at the tires first. They have the biggest impact on lap time and will cause the biggest jump in PI. Most A class and pretty much all of B class and below will come with tires that are worse than the sport tires (if they have better ones sport tires won't be available) and you should at least upgrade to those - unless you're doing rally or Baja obviously, rally or offroad tires for that - so you can use any extra power you put in.

On most cars adding aero pieces allows you to adjust the front and rear downforce to exchange straight line speed for grip, or tune understeer v. oversteer and doesn't really impact PI and outright performance that much. You should be able to use cars at S1 without putting body kits or big Forza wings on them.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 04, 2021, 05:29:21 PMI'm struggling with the seasonal championships at the moment - the truck one seems very very difficult if you're not racing the more expensive of the two available, which I wish I'd known before I'd wasted my money on the cheap one (and upgrades).

I have the Mercedes truck but for some reason it doesn't show up in the 'truck' category so I can't use it in any races.

beanheadmcginty

I'm fascinated by the design of the story missions. It seems like they want you to follow the indicated route on the road, but there's no checkpoints so I just drive as the crow flies cross country to the finish and get 3 stars every time. However, if I had followed the road route there is no chance whatsoever I would've got 3 stars. So is it incentivising cheating?

Chollis

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on December 05, 2021, 03:34:00 PMI'm fascinated by the design of the story missions. It seems like they want you to follow the indicated route on the road, but there's no checkpoints so I just drive as the crow flies cross country to the finish and get 3 stars every time. However, if I had followed the road route there is no chance whatsoever I would've got 3 stars. So is it incentivising cheating?

You're only cheating yourself! But seriously, they could probably just add the damage bar to stop that. In fact, don't some of them have "stick to the road!" countdown timer pop up if you go off-road?

BeardFaceMan

Yeah if there's no checkpoints then they want you to go off-road, basically. Otherwise you'll have damage bars, or a prompt to stay on the road, or have to go through checkpoints etc. If it's just 'get to the destination' and that's it, then you're free to do what you want (which mainly involves driving in a straight line towards your goal and trying not to hit a tree).

The Mercedes truck i have is a Forza edition one and for some reason it's being classified as an offroad buggy and not a truck, very odd.

Famous Mortimer

They've sort of clued you in on this mechanic with the event where you have to leg it to a point by whatever route possible in the quickest time.

It looks like drifting is a little easier in 5, as I 3-starred a drift zone on my first go earlier without even really trying, just on my way somewhere. I was terrible at them before.

Oh, another thing is, I don't know if it's part of the recent update, but there's no traffic on the roads. One of the seasonal achievements is to get 3 daredevils with your Ferrari, but unless you get extremely lucky in a race and pass three people cleanly all at once, the way I'd normally do it is to go to the motorway and hope you meet a lot of cars in a short period of time so you can pass them all. There's half a chance of doing it in a street scene race, as there's at least minimal traffic in there, but the complete lack of any in freeroam is a bit of a pain. Or maybe it's just me.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 06, 2021, 03:08:19 AMOh, another thing is, I don't know if it's part of the recent update, but there's no traffic on the roads. One of the seasonal achievements is to get 3 daredevils with your Ferrari, but unless you get extremely lucky in a race and pass three people cleanly all at once, the way I'd normally do it is to go to the motorway and hope you meet a lot of cars in a short period of time so you can pass them all. There's half a chance of doing it in a street scene race, as there's at least minimal traffic in there, but the complete lack of any in freeroam is a bit of a pain. Or maybe it's just me.

No, that was happening to me too, couldn't find a single car on the road in freeroam, I was trying to get street race accolades like doing a Lucky Escape or Threading the Needle but couldn't because there was no traffic on the roads during a race, street races and road races both became the same thing. Seemed to be a temporary thing though, I noticed it worst right after the patch, seems to be ok for me now. A bit like The Eliminator, that was completely broken after the update, invisible opponents, duels not working, no car drops etc, that's working a lot better for me now too.

Wonderful Butternut

I think no traffic is an online syncing issue. Cos I hardly ever saw traffic for the first few days when all the online stuff was borked, but then had it for a couple of weeks afterwards when they had it somewhat sorted.

I didn't play last week cos I've been otherwise occupied.

Jawaka

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 06, 2021, 03:08:19 AMOh, another thing is, I don't know if it's part of the recent update, but there's no traffic on the roads. One of the seasonal achievements is to get 3 daredevils with your Ferrari

My initial approach to this one was to replay one of the horizon stories tasks where you're required to get a bunch of near misses, of course it wasn't until playing that through I realised that it puts you in a non eligible car.

The alternative was to create a custom event in the Ferarri with traffic on. I used Super 7 and just placed the way point somewhere on the motorway. After that you enter editing mode and can drive to the way point, was plenty of traffic on the motorway and I could just quit once I knew I'd reached the target.

Finally won an Arcade event. No other visible players, but the score counter kept going up so I presume there were other people there.

Also, having not seen any other traffic for over a week, I finally had a CPU controlled Beetle turn up on my way to a speed trap which I clattered into on account of me doing 230MPH and him doing 30 and me being so used to empty roads. I haven't encountered another vehicle since.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on December 06, 2021, 02:20:38 PMFinally won an Arcade event. No other visible players, but the score counter kept going up so I presume there were other people there.

Also, having not seen any other traffic for over a week, I finally had a CPU controlled Beetle turn up on my way to a speed trap which I clattered into on account of me doing 230MPH and him doing 30 and me being so used to empty roads. I haven't encountered another vehicle since.

I think they changed Arcade because of the connection issues so that the score you need scales to how many people are in the event so if you're on your own you're still able to complete it.

And now that I need to do the Daredevil skills for the seasonal challenge, of course the roads have gone back to being empty. I've mostly been doing the stories, at least theyre not affected by shitty connection issues.

Famous Mortimer

I'm rather enjoying the Rivals bit, even if it's me trying to catch up with BeardFaceMan and none of my other game-friends are doing it.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 09, 2021, 09:21:29 PMI'm rather enjoying the Rivals bit, even if it's me trying to catch up with BeardFaceMan and none of my other game-friends are doing it.

Hah, same here, I have one other person posting times from my friends list and that's it. What I usually do is do all the races once to win them, then I go through each track in Rivals trying to get the accolade for a clean lap, then when I've done a clean one I'll go for a fast one. This type of thing is where the longevity of the game comes from for me, this what I default to when all the seasonal/weekly stuff is done and I've finished fucking about.

Dr Trouser

This is wank. Jump out a plane, drive a bit, over steer, under steer, crash rewind, some gap year prick organising a festival in apparently mexico or somewhere, then off with some lass to find a rusty VW.

Am i missing something or does it get better ever?

BeardFaceMan

You forgot the bit where you're banking a 500,000 point skill score during a skill song and you get disconnected and lose the fucking lot. Other than that, no, you're not missing something. It's a driving game, you drive cars, if you're not impressed by that now then you never will be.

Dr Trouser

No it does get a better after a lot of faffing about. Driving a 1985 rs200 up a volcano was a riot.

The driving bits are great, but all the complicated bits in between drive me potty - maybe I'm too old

BeardFaceMan

The story bits stay shit, best to just put those bits on mute, you'll enjoy the game a lot more. I'm so fucking glad I'm done with the Stories, there's genuinely more time spent in loading screens and watching unskippable cutscenes than doing the missions, definitely not something to binge on.

Famous Mortimer

The stories are odd, you're right. Some of them only last...a minute? And for the amount of driving to the mission trigger, and listening to someone bang on about Mexico, there's not a lot of gameplay. Also, some of them are fucking impossible to get 3 stars on, and others, a piece of piss. Not a lot of middle ground.

BeardFaceMan

Oh god, those two-parters are the worst, drive to a location for 2 minutes while some boring twat bores you with boring dialogue before you do the actual mission. And I thought I was done with them but it turns out some of the accolades for it are bugged (big fucking suprise). I was all set to try and do all of the seasonal challenges for every season and here were are in the first week with a bugged challenge that can't be completed so that's the next month fucked. If I wasn't having so much fun with the Rivals I'd be giving this a rest for a bit, their netcode is still total toilet, can't connect at all any more.

BeardFaceMan

Doing clean laps on The Gauntlet and the like is proving to be an absolute cunt, I don't have the skill/concentration levels to drive for 20 minutes without crashing.

Famous Mortimer

I just three-starred all the drift zones, when I was rubbish at them on every previous Forza Horizon game. Bit puzzled whether I've finally figured it out or it's just easier in 5.

Famous Mortimer

I popped on GTA for a bit this afternoon, after a solid couple of months of nothing but Forza, and the cars feel so light. I kept turning too early and falling off the track.

The difficulty is a bit odd, though. I can pretty much win every time on highly skilled, but on expert I often finish about 8th and am not catching the cars in front at all. I feel like getting the right car with the right build is much more important in 5.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 17, 2021, 02:30:02 AMThe difficulty is a bit odd, though. I can pretty much win every time on highly skilled, but on expert I often finish about 8th and am not catching the cars in front at all. I feel like getting the right car with the right build is much more important in 5.

That's pretty much where I am too. But then I did this season's seasonal championship against unbeatable drivatars and I finished first on those. But open world races? Not a chance. And the drivers always seem to split into groups too, on highly skilled it's usually 3 or 4 cars, then me, then a gap to the rest. On expert it's 7 cars, then me, then the rest. On highly skilled I can sometimes be in first after the first lap of a race, other times if I win then I'm doing it by overtaking someone on the last corner of the last lap, there doesn't seem to be much consistency with the difficulty.

BeardFaceMan

The Eliminator is basically unplayable on the xbox. There are only two things to do, find car drops and race other players and the map is so fucking huge that you have a hard time finding either, it's just wandering around the map for ages looking for something to do. It's a bit better on PC, there seem to be more player icons on my map at least, although 9 times out of 10 if I get close enough to them that the white arrows turn to pink dots it'll be 2 other players racing each other. I think limiting the starting positions of players would help a lot, people are too spaced out at the start.

BeardFaceMan

How do the car auctions work? I see plenty of cars for sale for millions in the auction house but I can't seem to do it myself. I have a Porsche worth 1.5mil that it will only let me list at 150 grand, even worse is that I have a duplicate Cobra Daytona Coupe which costs 30 mil, when I try and list it the max buyout is 1.7 mil. What's going on there?