Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:10:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sifu

Started by Crenners, February 06, 2022, 07:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crenners

Reveal trailer:

Death and ageing mechanic:

Live-action trailer:

First game I've looked forward to in a long time.

Out now. Downloading now.

Thursday

Pink Gregory

That looks nice.  Stylish enough to be striking but simple enough to be readable.

Crenners

First impressions from the hour I've played are very strong and I'm looking forward to more, but it won't be for everyone.

It's somewhere between Streets of Rage, Sekiro and what if Yakuza combat was good, to give a crude but pretty accurate description. It's not Rocksteady style combo strings and chains, it's more like footsies in a 2D fighting game, all about spacing, timing and punishing. If you just button mash, you'll find yourself getting battered. Get in, hit hard and fast, avoid the incoming rain and get out.

This is a really good thing for me because I thought it might be a bit 'auto combo', but everything feels down to your own timing and mastery of the fundamentals. That said, there's also a shitload of moves and inputs, even before you get to the unlockable skill tree type moves.

It runs extremely smoothly and with a satisfying snap. It really feels good to dish out a fucking beating. Great sound effects and Dualsense feedback, rapid dull thuds and the swish of sleeves. It's an addictive sensation. Bam b-bam bam bossshhhh. Fill some twat in and smash their head open on a pipe.

I made it to the second boss (of five?) and unlocked a couple of permanent perks, such as the ability to catch enemy weapons throw at you (if you time it very well) and a closing distance double kick which looks and feels absolutely sick. I imagine I will have to git very gud to beat the game, though. It doesn't seem like one where you can get OP through unlocks, it just gives you more tools.

Harder and more satisfying than I'd expected then, albeit it's pretty simplistic in every other way besides combat. There is a rudimentary revenge story and stuff to collect which fleshes out the narrative and characters but even that is nice and swift and punchy, no bloat.

I doubt it'll be a mainstream GOTY contender but I can well imagine it'll be GOTY for a certain audience.

Mister Six

This sounds great (but you leave Yakuza alone!) - although I have such a backlog of stuff to play that I'll probably pick it up in a year at soonest.

TrenterPercenter

Yeah I'm been watching this for awhile I'm bit too apathetic for it at the moment but it looks great.  I've just preordered Elden Ring but I had to force myself to on the basis that I will feel like playing it in a few weeks.

Crenners

Quick update:

I have nothing new to add necessarily except this game is mechanically excellent and it's a lot of fun, if you're of the mindset. I'm still only on stage 4 of 5 but I've been replaying the first three to get better at them.

The bosses are really tough at first but masterable, and it's thrilling going toe to toe and keeping up the pressure to tip the balance. Getting through a boss fight unscathed feels absolutely great.

The camera can be a bugger if you get cornered but if you've ever played any Souls games, you'll know that mastering the camera is a skill in itself.

Certainly the best new game I've played since, err, Returnal.

Thursday

Heard they've adding an easy mode, but what if it's still not easy enough??? Extremely toxic and ableist gatekeeping game for tryhard neckbeards. Anyone who likes games to be vaguely challenging deserves to be shot.

Crenners

I completely agree with your assessment of the discourse. Glad that there's been a real pushback on that shit.

Regardless, I wouldn't want this game to be smothered by that horrible chat.

My only thought really is that forty quid feels like quite a lot for essentially an indie game, but it's so rock solid, deep and polished, it's absolutely worth it to me.

I wish Elden Ring had a proper PS5 version for £70 with PS5 graphics. That's all.

TrenterPercenter

I am intrigued but I just can't bring myself to play any games but Isaac at the moment.  I would love to get engrossed in a game right now but it just won't happen I'm to busy and unfocused.  It definitely on the list though for another time.

Crenners

I'd wait for a sale. It's great and very much to my tastes (and very possibly yours from stuff I know you've enjoyed) but it feels like paying forty quid for an arcade game (which is exactly the kind of thing I would also do).

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Crenners on February 16, 2022, 10:39:37 AMI'd wait for a sale. It's great and very much to my tastes (and very possibly yours from stuff I know you've enjoyed) but it feels like paying forty quid for an arcade game (which is exactly the kind of thing I would also do).

Yes this what I am thinking.  I bought Returnal for £70!!!11 which was ridiculous so I've done my silly purchase for the year.  Looks great though I think if you like then I almost certainly will also.

AngryGazelle

Bought this yesterday and I have to say it's pretty damn good. Only £26 at the moment too.

The combat is fun to play and the animations are bloody awesome. The story is what it needs to be, which is functional and I have very few complaints.

Still, I'm not sitting here at work feeling desperate to play it; I guess the games I usually get the most invested in do tend to big budget story/action games (Can't bloody wait for Ragnarok).

Really fun game but I am not in love.