Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:19:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who Series 13 continued: RTD2, Chib nil

Started by Mister Six, February 20, 2022, 06:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Chris Chibnall the worst Doctor Who writer ever?

Yes
11 (13.1%)
Yes
1 (1.2%)
Yes
4 (4.8%)
Absolutely, yes
29 (34.5%)
Well, Pip and Jane Ba--- haha, just kidding, yes
23 (27.4%)
An tSaoi
16 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 84

purlieu

I mean, classic Who had companions fancying people and stuff from time to time, it's fine as long as it's not every story.

I could do without any Doctor sexy stuff for a while. I still have the Looms in my headcanon so it's really not needed.

Alberon

QuoteDoctor Who's departing executive producer Matt Strevens has teased that Jodie Whittaker's regeneration episode will be "massive", both in scope and length, with it forming part of the BBC's centenary celebrations later this year.

"When they approached Chris [Chibnall], saying: 'We'd love you to do one more – we know the production schedule's really tight, but what do you think about doing a special for the centenary of the BBC?', it was a no-brainer," Strevens enthused to Doctor Who Magazine.

Promising an emotional end to the 13th Doctor's reign, Strevens said that he thinks fans will be satisfied with how Whittaker's story arc concludes.

"The final story is a massive, feature-length epic – it was huge to shoot – with lots of surprises for fans of all ages. Jodie gets a really good send-off. I think it will push everybody's buttons."

I'm sure it will, just not in the way you think.

Replies From View

"It will shit not only on our own era, but every era!!"  *beams with pride*

The Roofdog

QuoteWhen they approached Chris [Chibnall], saying: 'We'd love you to do one more – we know the production schedule's really tight, but what do you think about doing a special for the centenary of the BBC?'

Wait, so his original plan was to finish on a random Easter special? Sounds like a lie doesn't it

Was hoping they'd move away from the long, drawn out regenerations. The Doctor's like a Make a Wish kid these days, having one last adventure, mid-death.

Actually, scratch that, I want the Doctor to meet John Cena.

Mister Six

Quote from: The Roofdog on March 14, 2022, 09:23:36 AMWait, so his original plan was to finish on a random Easter special? Sounds like a lie doesn't it

I guess Easter would fit in thematically with regeneration...

Alberon

I suppose it's the Sea Devil one which was written when he was offered the BBC Centenary special.

Quote from: Mister Six on March 14, 2022, 01:44:02 PMI guess Easter would fit in thematically with regeneration...

Controversial episode has Jesus as one of the pre-Hartnell Doctors.

Replies From View

Why not have a Doctor that just cracks their head open on a stairwell because of an owl

Norton Canes

GoblinAhFuckScary

Norton Canes

lipsink

I actually think he'd be great. But I don't think it'll happen.

olliebean

I still think if it's Grant, it'll just be for the 60th, with someone else taking over for series 14. I don't think they'll have the budget to do a full series with him.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

He would be great, yeah, but that article reads like pure speculation.

purlieu

Christ, they'll be suggesting Jim Broadbent and Joanna Lumley next.

Grant turning up in Doctor Who as a guest star is entirely plausible, he's worked with RTD before after all. But I do think he's too much of a Big Name to take on the lead role. Would he really want to be tied down to a TV series for two or three years?

Then again, he's more of a jobbing character actor these days. He obviously enjoys trying new things, things which allow him to escape from his old Hugh Grant romcom persona, so perhaps playing the Doctor would appeal to him.

I just don't know, basically.

daf

Too big - Can't see him doing any Big Finish (which is the #1 factor for casting any Doctor Who!)

JamesTC

Mister Six

Grant's previously said he regrets not taking the role when RTD offered it to him in 2004 (Eccles obviously took it instead) and he's basically a TV actor who does ensemble film work now, rather than a Hollywood leading man as he was then, so it's hardly unbelievable that he'd sign up to one series of 11-14 episodes.

But for that same reason I find it hard to believe this time around - he's no longer the catch he used to be and there wouldn't be the same sense of shock given his prior association with RTD Who. Feels like one of those rumors that crops up based purely on previously established production history rather than anything based in fact.

Then again, there's been a bit of buzz online, so perhaps it would be worth their while pursuing Grant...

I still think RTD will want to avoid a white male lead, coming off the back of Jodie. A man of colour or a lady/non-binary person of any hue would be more sensible, I think.

daf

Corwumph! I Forgot about them!

Fingers crossed then, he was absolutely brilliant in that Jeremy Thorpe drama!

Quote from: Mister Six on March 21, 2022, 11:11:32 PMI still think RTD will want to avoid a white male lead, coming off the back of Jodie. A man of colour or a lady/non-binary person of any hue would be more sensible, I think.

I agree. Hugh Grant, although I like him as an actor, is pretty much the embodiment of white, male, upper-class Thespian privilege. The implications of replacing the first female Doctor with someone like that is something RTD will be very conscious of, it just doesn't feel like a shift he'd be comfortable with.

Ambient Sheep

Also, surely he'd be too old for all the running around by now?

JamesTC

jobotic

Psybro

Grant would be great in a Fake Doctor episode, except RTD already did that idea.

I would like to see Grant as a recurring character in Doctor Who. Not playing The Master, that's too obvious, but as some sort of ally who crops up occasionally a la Captain Jack.

So that's what I would like to see, RTD.