Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:59:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Doctor Who Series 13 continued: RTD2, Chib nil

Started by Mister Six, February 20, 2022, 06:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is Chris Chibnall the worst Doctor Who writer ever?

Yes
11 (13.1%)
Yes
1 (1.2%)
Yes
4 (4.8%)
Absolutely, yes
29 (34.5%)
Well, Pip and Jane Ba--- haha, just kidding, yes
23 (27.4%)
An tSaoi
16 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Replies From View

I think Baker wasn't very happy with the wooden one as there was less he could do to convey he was operating it.

But yes, its warping between seasons is why they binned it.  Shame.  If that hadn't happened, maybe they would have added more knobs and dials over time.

Norton Canes

Took me ages to realise the little console is actually on castors (and they look like period detail so presumably meant to be seen) so it could be wheeled around to other parts of the TARDIS

It would make a fantastic drinks trolley. Maybe Baker made off with it.

daf

daf

Apparently that Pertwee one with the plastic washing up bowl roundels (Time Monster) also got "warped in storage". *

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
* Though that might be a fig leaf - as Barry Letts really hated it!

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 11, 2022, 11:51:16 AMTook me ages to realise the little console is actually on castors (and they look like period detail so presumably meant to be seen) so it could be wheeled around to other parts of the TARDIS

It would make a fantastic drinks trolley. Maybe Baker made off with it.

Beautiful isn't it?

GoblinAhFuckScary

looks like a cute lil robot

or a tall roomba

McDead

Quote from: jamiefairlie on August 11, 2022, 03:56:02 PMBeautiful isn't it?

Best console room, though I agree it could have done with a few more buttons and levers. I really associate it with The Deadly Assassin, and it fits that sepulchral academic environment very well.

Replies From View

Like when Sylvester McCoy put on previous Doctors' costumes I guess.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/20/doctor-who-jodie-whittaker-to-pay-tribute-to-previous-time-lords-17216032/

It's the most dull and obvious thing to do, so Chibnall's on it ✔️

Midas

JamesTC

Maybe she will black up and wear a turban like Troughton wanted to when he took over. It would be a lovely tribute to the show's past.

daf

Bit odd she's described as "the Black Mirror star"!

What's she been doing for the last 4 years again?

mjwilson

frajer

Chibnall couldn't resist breaking that out in his first run.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Replies From View on August 20, 2022, 12:02:42 PMLike when Sylvester McCoy put on previous Doctors' costumes I guess.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/20/doctor-who-jodie-whittaker-to-pay-tribute-to-previous-time-lords-17216032/

In her last episode?

Why?

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Replies From View on August 20, 2022, 12:02:42 PMLike when Sylvester McCoy put on previous Doctors' costumes I guess.

" a sexier Doctor"

Oh awesome, just great.

Alberon

Quote from: daf on August 20, 2022, 03:46:51 PMBit odd she's described as "the Black Mirror star"!

What's she been doing for the last 4 years again?

Frankly, her three series of Doctor Who have been very forgettable.

God knows I've tried.

Alberon

Colin Baker has got a three week driving ban for speeding. Not interesting in itself, but he was filming with the BBC when it happened.

QuoteThe actor explained he had been working in Telford, Shrops., and was set to do some filming in Ironbridge the following day when he was caught speeding last November.

He told the court: "I said 'give me the sat nav code', they said 'no follow us'.

"I followed the BBC camera car, lost them on a roundabout, tried to catch up and that's when I committed the offence. I had no intention of speeding."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/doctor-who-star-cries-hes-27789253

Was that for Chibnall's final 'special'?

pigamus

Quote from: Replies From View on August 11, 2022, 11:50:34 AMI think Baker wasn't very happy with the wooden one as there was less he could do to convey he was operating it.

But yes, its warping between seasons is why they binned it.  Shame.  If that hadn't happened, maybe they would have added more knobs and dials over time.

Apparently the warping thing is a myth. The panels were repainted and used again. They just didn't like it.

Malcy

There was a rumour that a few classic Doctors were in the special. Maybe it was just Jodie dressed up.

daf

Quote from: Alberon on August 20, 2022, 06:58:01 PMWas that for Chibnall's final 'special'?

Possibly, though a camera car suggests one of those new features included in the collection boxed sets - Like going round old locations with Peri.

edit:
Just read it, ane he mentions Ironbridge - where I think Mark of the Rani was filmed - so it was 100% for the season 22 collection!

Replies From View

Quote from: The Roofdog on August 20, 2022, 05:49:18 PMIn her last episode?

Why?

Well, as a way of paying tribute to the show's history, rather than as post-regenerative madness, it's still dull and obvious.

To pay tribute in any deeper way would require an appreciation of the various themes and patterns the show has followed over its history, and understanding the different characters that the Doctor has been.  Something Moffat could do for the 50th, but I honestly don't think Chibnall could.  The evidence (bringing back the Master rather than letting the character rest for longer after the series 10 finale; destroying Gallifrey with a tone-deafness to its restoration in 2013) is that he hasn't paid any more than a surface attention to the show since the 1980s, and couldn't give a fuck about the legacy of Doctor Who beyond crowbarring in a collection of his teenage bugbears.

So yeah, bung in a question mark umbrella, a long scarf, a cat badge and a stick of celery and that'll be really knowing and clever for fans of old and new Who alike. 

I'm complaining again, but I'm just grateful that he's not writing the 60th anniversary story.

Mister Six

I keep forgetting that there's another Chibnall episode yet to air. I suspect that he does, too.

JamesTC

Everybody is so excited about it. I've heard she wears blackface and a turban in it.

BritishHobo

The rumour is the title and poster for the centenary episode will be announced on the weekend. Mad to think the title is being used as something enticing. Haven't special titles always been announced at the end of previous episodes in Who? RTD and Moffat always did great at enticing you with mad, evocative titles. Keep you waiting all year with excitement. Don't even have that with Chibnall.

frajer

"Doctor Who and the Centenary of the BBC right that's me done I'll be in the pub"
dictated but not read by Chris Chibnall

Mister Six

Once again, I forgot that we have one Chibnall episode to go and thought this was about the 60th.

Anyway, I bet it's just called "Centenary". Like the gripping NYD special "Resolution".

JamesTC

The title has been announced.

Quote from: Radio TimesDoctor Who's outgoing executive producer Chris Chibnall has revealed that his final Doctor Who special will be titled Doctor Who 2.

"We always played around with Doctor Who and what could be done with the concept, but never went beyond that. I want to take it forward with a fully fledged sequel".

JamesTC

Alberon

BritishHobo

That's the second lie about the centenary special to have fooled me in the space of half an hour. The first was a Doctor Who Facebook group saying it would be called 'Dry' after the chorus of Coldplay's Yellow ("Do you know, For you I'd bleed myself dry, For you I'd bleed myself dry") as Whittaker would soundtrack her own regeneration by singing that song. I must stress I'm not usually this gullible; I swear.