Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:38:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP Neighbours

Started by Blue Jam, March 03, 2022, 12:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: lipsink on August 01, 2022, 12:27:51 PMThe last ep was an absolute mess of writing 

I thought it was an odd editorial choice to run together all the scenes with Mike and Jane visiting each home on the street. You'd think they'd be broken up as nostalgic interludes between the current plot lines tying up their loose ends.

Bad Ambassador

I haven't watched it since 1999, so it was interesting to see that the three characters who are still in it from then - Toadie, Karl and Susan - have generally aged well apart from dramatic changes in hairstyles.

samadriel

When did Karl go bald? And was it natural slapheadedness, or some sort of disease?

Brundle-Fly

Alopecia Areta, apparently, but the actor is fit and well apart from that.

Shaky

In further "Guy Pearce seems like a decent bunch of lads" news, apparently he's still good friends (although not Neighbours) with Des.

Despite living in Oz, I haven't watched this yet but going to do so tomorrow - I'm fully prepared for it to feel like I'm having a stroke, like when Dirty Den popped up in Eastenders again and it somehow both felt like eons had passed and he'd never been away. Did something very weird to my brain. So that, times 1,000.

Glebe

I'd forgotten about Guy Pearce.

Margot Robbie's appearance was just a short video thing I believe, but she was busy with a film. What's your excuse Russell Crowe? Don't know how to use Facetime?

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Glebe on August 01, 2022, 03:26:21 PMI'd forgotten about Guy Pearce.

Margot Robbie's appearance was just a short video thing I believe, but she was busy with a film. What's your excuse Russell Crowe? Don't know how to use Facetime?

I thought it was also a bit of churlish of Chris Lowe out the Pet Shop Boys not to of played keyboards at Toady & Melanies wedding.

lipsink

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on August 01, 2022, 03:01:45 PMAlopecia Areta, apparently, but the actor is fit and well apart from that.

The worst part was they explained away the character suddenly going bald due to him just using some dodgy hair products. Seems like they didn't have enough time to do an alopecia storyline.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

I was lying on the floor
With the music in my head
The Todd Terry Project
Was the last thing that I heard
I had searched for the answer
It was not much to find
Then Kylie said to Jason
"...."
this was totally worth a bump

Cloud

Karl looked so different I wasn't sure it was him at first and that Susan had remarried.  Maybe it's just the baldness illusion but his whole head and face seemed different.  Does losing your hair normally turn a rectangular head into a round one?  Maybe it's just that he put on weight as well or something.

Anyway, watching it from the start on Dailymotion at the moment (though it'd take many many years of obsessively watching several episodes a day to get through it).  The original cast is so full of cunt characters and shitty parents - Max Ramsay the yelling psycho (die already), Julie Robinson mk1 (even worse than Julie Martin nee Robinson mk2), Marcia Taylor (the mother from Hell), Lorraine (Des's original bride-not-to-be where you just think "how could anyone want to marry that?")

I'm still as confused by the Robinson/Daniels family as I was the first time.  I was trying to figure out if Jim's married to Helen, or Julie or what and Helen seems to be be everyone's grandmother no matter what generation they seem to be.  Halp.

It was having no eyebrows that makes him (and anyone tbf) look weird, I think.

Helen was Jim's mother-in-law, no?

Cloud

Also whenever I see Danny I think of Marty McFly

Never thought of that with the eyebrows, maybe that's at least part of it.

Yes I'm slowly starting to get my head around it and seemingly Jim's wife died and Helen's her mother.  And Julie, Lucy etc.... all Jim and Wife's kid's I guess? Maybe it's all being so different ages confuses me.

re: Julie, IIRC

Spoiler alert
it comes out after Jim dies that she's not in his will because he wasn't her real father
[close]

Cloud

Got it, I found a family tree I could just about fathom!

Replies From View

Neeeeighbours
everybody needs good dyyyying
in a motorway piiiiiiile up

SweetPomPom

Quote from: Replies From View on August 18, 2022, 08:42:07 PMNeeeeighbours
everybody needs good dyyyying
in a motorway piiiiiiile up

All the neighbours
Out to play
On the busy motorway

Replies From View

They probably call motorways something different over there but if they start getting it wrong we can usher them.

famethrowa

"Freeway" is the dominant term here, even on roads that aren't free. "Motorway" is in official use but no one says it unless you wanna sound like a flamin' galah

Replies From View

Ok then neeiiiiiighbours, everybody needs good severe freeway pile up incident, in which everyone mixes together in a perfect blend, that's when good neeeeighbours become good death

MrMrs

So many fuckin rides in that show

imitationleather

Could've started a new thread with that comment tbh

MrMrs

Know what i mean though? Stapleton for a start

Thomas

all the different characters of Neighbours

toadie

Snrub

It's back from the dead on the horribly named Amazon FreeVee - https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/nov/17/neighbours-soap-opera-australia-to-return-on-amazon

Thousands of old episodes too, so can't wait to relive my youth and realise how much of it I wasted.

Imagine this will lead to another, more muted, finale in a couple of years too. Amazon FreeVee does seem to be quite a ridiculous service