Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 09:07:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP Neighbours

Started by Blue Jam, March 03, 2022, 12:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr beat

Pardon my ignorance but is there an equivalent of a Tony From Hollyoaks (who I used to see spotting Tinhead from Brookie in the David Lloyd gym in Speke) in Neighbours?

Most memorable storylines:

Karl's affair (even got advertised)
Mal gets crushed to death in a lift
Harold and Lou
Billy Boy changes his name to Bill Boy (Toady feels left behind)

Heartbreak High was great too. When Neighbours went to Channel 5 I knew it wouldn't last more than another fifteen years.

dr beat

Some of the most entertaining writing can be found in Wikipedia's descriptions of soap opera plots.  That and Wikipedia's descriptions of Terry and June episodes.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: dr beat on March 03, 2022, 07:33:01 PMPardon my ignorance but is there an equivalent of a Tony From Hollyoaks (who I used to see spotting Tinhead from Brookie in the David Lloyd gym in Speke) in Neighbours?

I reckon Toadie is similar terms of starting quite young and then resigned to being a lifer.

One of my mates worked in a Nuffield up in Aberdeen and at different points served Chloe 'Bruce the Moose' Bruce and Bombhead when the panto was on.

You wonder where the ones that don't go to other soaps or adverts end up once it has dried up, turns out they still get about.

purlieu

I wonder what Toadie will do now. Long haired trouble-maker to surprising lawyer to angsty family man, he's played a range, but it's always been Toadie. Are there any opportunities for such an actor now? Kind of the opposite of Derek Thompson who's still playing Charlie in Casualty well past retirement age.

Beagle 2

He's welcome round my gaff any time. I can tell him my Stonefish story.

Beagle 2

I had somehow got it into my head that Des had carked it when he left, which always saddened me as he was my favourite. Delighted to find out he was alive and kicking a couple of years back.

By the way that plain Jane shit really did knock me sideways as a child. What a set up. TURNS OUT SHE'S SEXY :-O

Sebastian Cobb

Was it Peter Andre that used to drive around with a dummy in his car on a learners permit then when he went to dispose of it after passing his test, by chucking it off a cliff he forgot to put his handbrake on and it slowly rolled over the edge?

Jackson K Pollock

Quote from: MojoJojo on March 03, 2022, 02:10:17 PMJust looking at a neighbours wiki and it's like someone remembering a dream:

QuoteIn January 1995, Toadie wanted to go to the beach but Stonie did not want to. He moved into Ramsay Street with the rest of his family at the same time. Toadie was a bit of a tearaway and was getting into trouble a lot at school. In around 1997 he developed a crush on older woman Sarah Beaumont. One time she kissed him on the cheek in The Coffee Shop and he was overwhelmed, thinking she fancied him. But his happiness was short lived when she said she did not fancy him. This was after Sarah was upset by her former lover Lord Steven Harrow and Toadie saw it and menaced him. Sarah and Toadie remained friends. In 1998 Toadie won a radio competiton and also met singer Dave Graney but Toadie annoyed him and Dave took a dislike to him.

Toadie became friends with Lance Wilkinson.

Nice to see Chris (Simpsons Artist) getting about.

non capisco

I remember in the middle of Kylie and Jason mania Madge and Harold put out a single  called 'Let's Have An Old Fashioned Christmas'. It actually charted, possibly some Tom Waits fans heard Madge's singing on the radio and thought it was his new one. 

Hex Triplet

Wasn't there a storyline where Karl Kennedy won the lottery and the winning ticket got stuck up Toadfish's arse?

Quote from: Hex Triplet on March 03, 2022, 11:15:17 PMWasn't there a storyline where Karl Kennedy won the lottery and the winning ticket got stuck up Toadfish's arse?

You might be remembering the storyline where Toadfish lost the lottery and the losing ticket got stuck up Karl Kennedy's arse.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Hex Triplet on March 03, 2022, 11:15:17 PMWasn't there a storyline where Karl Kennedy won the lottery and the winning ticket got stuck up Toadfish's arse?

Ha a massive hip-hop head when I was at uni with an impeccable collection also had this on 7".

Kankurette

RIP Neighbours. I've not seen it for donkeys', mainly watched it in the '90s. I remember Bouncer the dog, Cody's shitty death, Harold's tuba (really not doing much for the image of tuba players as unsexy fat bastards there), Karl cheating on Susan with evil lipliner-wearing harpy Sarah, and a song that sounded a lot like Disco 2000. I can't believe Toadfish is still in it, or Karl Kennedy. Most of the original cast are probably either dead or pop stars now (didn't the guy who played Jim Robinson end up being in loads of American dramas - The OC, Once Upon a Time etc.?) I sort of vaguely remember Natalie Imbruglia, but Kylie was before my time. Weird to think it's gone now.

Also I had family living in Oz and I remember they were a year and a half ahead of the UK when we went over. And the girl who played Hannah is now a weather reporter, and Mark 'Joe Mangel' Little's son went to my primary school. I think he showed up at a couple of school fun days.

jobotic

What was Cody's death then? Remember her but not her demise.

Remember lovely Kerry's though. Sniff.

Kankurette

Was it a car crash or was that Dionne? I can't remember the exact details, I just remember I really liked Cody and was mad they killed her off.

ETA: she got shot.

non capisco

Quote from: Kankurette on March 03, 2022, 11:46:13 PMHarold's tuba (really not doing much for the image of tuba players as unsexy fat bastards there),

Harold's tuba theme is what plays in my head when I catch an unflattering glance at my full body profile in the bathroom mirror most mornings.

Blue Jam

Quote from: purlieu on March 03, 2022, 08:22:46 PMI wonder what Toadie will do now. Long haired trouble-maker to surprising lawyer

An Australian Better Call Saul remake beckons.

jobotic

Quote from: Kankurette on March 03, 2022, 11:55:16 PMWas it a car crash or was that Dionne? I can't remember the exact details, I just remember I really liked Cody and was mad they killed her off.

ETA: she got shot.

So did Kerry

Dee "died" in that hilarious car cliff dive.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 03, 2022, 11:55:42 PMAn Australian Better Call Saul remake beckons.

Still roaming about Ramsay Street and sleeping in one of the set-houses long after production has ceased imo.

samadriel

Quote from: purlieu on March 03, 2022, 03:36:49 PMI wonder how they'll end it. Will Ramsey Street be knocked down by the council who are planning to build a nuclear waste facility?

Neighbours vs Predator.

Mr Banlon

Neighbours is a cunt.

Kankurette

It'll be like Byker Grove. The cast realise they're fictional characters. Everything goes kaboom. The end.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: imitationleather on March 03, 2022, 06:06:07 PMI remember rather fancying Cody, and since she left in 1996 I would've only been ten years old. Must be one of my first ever crushes, Clive.

I just remember her having curly hair and a really husky voice.

Also, according to Wikipedia:

QuoteCody earned a scholarship to study in America and she "jumped at the chance" to leave Erinsborough. Upon her return, Cody was a "determined young woman" and she once wore a fake moustache, so she could play on the men's cricket team.

Shaky

Neighbours was genuinely fucking ace around the mid-late 90's - early 00's. It knew what it was and by Christ, it delivered. Haven't seen so much as a nano-second of it in over 15 years.

Quote from: Kankurette on March 03, 2022, 11:46:13 PMRIP Neighbours. I've not seen it for donkeys', mainly watched it in the '90s. I remember Bouncer the dog, Cody's shitty death, Harold's tuba (really not doing much for the image of tuba players as unsexy fat bastards there), Karl cheating on Susan with evil lipliner-wearing harpy Sarah, and a song that sounded a lot like Disco 2000. I can't believe Toadfish is still in it, or Karl Kennedy. Most of the original cast are probably either dead or pop stars now (didn't the guy who played Jim Robinson end up being in loads of American dramas - The OC, Once Upon a Time etc.?) I sort of vaguely remember Natalie Imbruglia, but Kylie was before my time. Weird to think it's gone now.

Also I had family living in Oz and I remember they were a year and a half ahead of the UK when we went over. And the girl who played Hannah is now a weather reporter, and Mark 'Joe Mangel' Little's son went to my primary school. I think he showed up at a couple of school fun days.

Jim Robinson popped up in a remake of Dynasty on Netflix. He's been around US TV for a long time.

Neighbours actually had a good hit rate for actors and musicians to do well after leaving. Obviously Kylie, Jason, Craig Maclaughlan and Natalie Imbruglia.

lgpmachine

I'm pretty sure that Drew fell off a horse, was taken to hospital, died and was buried all in the space of two episodes.  Does anyone else remember this as I was only a child at the time but it seemed to happen ridiculously quickly.

buttgammon

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on March 04, 2022, 07:44:58 AMJim Robinson popped up in a remake of Dynasty on Netflix. He's been around US TV for a long time.

Neighbours actually had a good hit rate for actors and musicians to do well after leaving. Obviously Kylie, Jason, Craig Maclaughlan and Natalie Imbruglia.

Margot Robbie too.

Sorry, lost my train of thought there.

Holly Valance did alright as well, for a bit, before meeting and marrying a billionaire property developer at which point she basically disappeared. Fair fucks.

SweetPomPom

Guy Pearce hasn't had to get a proper job yet.