Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:16:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dying Light 2: Parkour Boogaloo

Started by Clownbaby, May 19, 2022, 12:42:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

Been playing this, not very far on. It's my first PS5 game and maybe not the best to start on to get the full vibe of what the PS5 can run because the guys who made Dying Light (Techland) also made Dead Island and, as much as I have a soft spot for that game, they have always stuck in my mind as people who can make fun but incredibly ropey, scruffy games. There might be the odd small spoiler if you mind

They work fine but there's always something off, like they've got a ton of people working on it but they haven't checked that Matt who's doing the NPCs is animating their faces properly, or George didn't just copy and paste the same group of rucksacks 10 times next to eachother without varying the colours even. So you get a lot of very repetitive assets in every room or cabin or resort bungalow you explore and it feels so uncanny valley that is sort of bad but sort of adds to the atmosphere as well. That's why I've got a soft spot for Techland Zombie Games.

Dying Light 2 got a lot of shite (DYING SHITE 2 HAHA) when it first came out because of the glitches so I was a bit apprehensive. Bought a PS5, bought it anyway because I like to start a new console with a familiar title, and to be fair the only problems I've found so far are the usual graphic glitches and occasional wonkiness, just there occasionally as a wee surprise.  Beautiful view of overgrown abandoned skyscrapers. Oh no hang on that whole building hasn't loaded. Oh what are these blinding green and red glows that absolutely fill the screen? Are they supposed to be there? Turns out no. Oh look the old man has died, bless him, but I can't care because I'm currently laughing at the twitching spazzy corpse of the Peacekeeper I just killed who shouldn't be in the frame but is absolutely gyrating over the poor dying old bloke's head as he breathes his last dying breaths and gives me a mission. There's just a constant sense that the game is slightly struggling to keep up with you as you're Parkouring and gliding about.

Bless it though, if it had some patches I'd really like this game a lot more. I've only just bought it so there should be some now? The parkour is fab, if a bit floaty. There's a lot of points where I felt like a jump was impossible because it looked so far away and the jumps felt a bit nauseatingly long compared to logical depth perception. Main character has genuinely no personality other than "my sister. I need to find my sister. What have you done to my sister." generic handsome action man voice. Literally couldn't give a shit about him. He's an empty vessel. Music is very nice. 7/10 would recommend depending on your glitch tolerance.

Mobius

I did really enjoy the first one for a while. Was disappointed this got quite bad reviews and was pretty poorly received.

What put me off was hearing that the satisfying impact of hitting the zombies from the first game had changed and the zombies don't react to your blows in the same way and it doesn't feel as good.

bgmnts

Wasn't really a fan of the first one to be honest. Completed it and all but I think that was around the time I realised big empty open world were mostly boring.

I remember it looking great and feeling quite fluid though. Maybe will get this on a deal.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Mobius on May 19, 2022, 09:23:10 AMWhat put me off was hearing that the satisfying impact of hitting the zombies from the first game had changed and the zombies don't react to your blows in the same way and it doesn't feel as good.
That doesn't bode well. I quit playing the first one because the fighting felt like a frustrating chore. The last straw was when I got killed by a lone zombie that didn't react to being repeatedly hammered in the head.

oggyraiding

First one had good parkour but bad combat. Second one had good parkour but bad combat. I stuck out until the Old Town in 1; and finished my first "run to UV light building at night while being chased" in 2 and it was fun but not fun enough for me to continue. I would like to see their very good parkour mechanics in a game type more exciting than open world zombie survival. Or double down on the zombie stuff, and make Dead Rising 2 but first person with parkour, with less hardy zombies but have a lot more of them.

Clownbaby

In the first one I found that any weapon I used seemed to have zero impact on the slightly tougher/faster zombies, like I was hitting them with an inflatable hammer. I actually think the blows land better and more damagingly in 2 but there is very little tension in the night chases compared to 1.

Something I really don't like about Dying Light's arsenal in both games is that once your weapon is broken it just gets discarded. I've always liked how Dead Island has benches where you could repair your favourite weapons over and over again, so you could keep your little collection you'd built up over the course of the game.

I really enjoyed Dead Island on pc, I thought that was really underrated, a charming rough diamond, but I bounced off Dying Light pretty hard. I think it was of those games that instantly made me feel ill and no amount of fov messing would fix it.

Clownbaby

Here we go. Starting to get very pissed off with this game.

I spent ages trying to do this before looking up a walkthrough video, and discovered that the things I need to progress aren't even there in my game by the look of it. I'm so confused. I'm definitely doing the same mission as in this video

(checked the environment around the substation just in case I was at a different one) On my map it is Garrison, and I have the mission Information "Broadcast: Get the substation running. 0/2 connect cables inside Garrison Electrical Station", so I know I'm in the right place. I've killed all the guys. I've seen a lot of people have had other problems with this mission but none like I'm having. My game looks absolutely nothing like what I'm seeing in every walkthrough for this mission.

When I walk into the side entrance with A or B on it, there are no A or B generators. It's just empty and dark. There's a locked gate with a button to my right but none to my left. However there's an upper level in this bit where there are 2 A generators that I hook up together which opens that gate. When I get into the main bit (with all the levels, the flooded basement bit, the level with the safe etc.) it doesn't actually seem to be possible to connect the generators to eachother because there is an area containing a green generator that seems to be impossible to get into. I don't know if I'm missing something or if it's an issue with the game but it must be. All the walkthroughs for this section look exactly the same- nothing like mine. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way to abandon the mission and start it from scratch? I'm currently updating the whole game to see if it gets patched up but that's taking fucking ages.

oggyraiding

Beat it. One of the worst stories I've seen in a serious game - tonal whiplash. Sometimes it wants to be wacky "twat zombies with an electrified toxic street sign", sometimes it wants to present "difficult" morally grey choices. Never, not even for a second, gave a fuck about Mia, and as she is the main character's only element of personality I just didn't give a fuck about him either. Fun though. Seems a bit beneath Rosario Dawson to lend her voice/face to this.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: oggyraiding on August 13, 2022, 07:13:28 PMSeems a bit beneath Rosario Dawson to lend her voice/face to this.

She's also a major character in Dishonored 2 and she puts in a perfunctory performance at best, though I might be misreading the intent of the voice direction.

Clownbaby

Just saw my thread get a wee bump, and it's a visceral reminder of how much Lawan, and all the weirdly prickly tonal shifts in her personality made me not care what she was up to and resent her every line of dialogue"fiesty" I like you but I'm troubled so I'll push you away with nasty insults, while putting myself in unnecessary jeopardy that you didn't even want from me and then whine about it, because that's a "strong woman". "I know you nearly died scaling that massive skyscraper Aidan but go and fetch my spare trainers (which I need after FOLLOWING YOU)  from my empty apartment that I can't be arsed going into cause there's photos of my ex, but don't you dare look at them, you cunt. But I like you, teehee! FUCK OFF I HATE YOU" - Lawan

It's like a 14 year old boy wrote her. I don't understand girls eh there fine one minute an hate me next am sick of it they must be on their period