Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,188
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:56:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Video game music!

Started by bgmnts, May 25, 2022, 11:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Gregory

Quote from: samadriel on July 24, 2022, 08:07:11 AMMick's Killer Instinct and Wolfenstein soundtracks were great as well. His take on The Partisan with Tex Perkins for the Wolfenstein: The Old Blood soundtrack was terrific.

I was gonna say, is he a Bethesda in-house guy but if I'm not mistaken did he not do at least some stuff for the Killer Instinct reboot?

samadriel

He did the first two seasons of KI. I'm pretty sure he's freelance, there was a terrific talk he did about the development of the Doom soundtrack where he mentions the Doom team approaching him.

I'll see if I can find that talk, it's well worth a view.
Aha!:

TheGingerAlien

Capt.Midnight

Always loved the PS1 Doom soundtrack too

McDead

Been listening to Turok 2: Seeds of Evil, Port of Adia on a near constant loop for the last few days. Absolutely banging 

Critcho

The growing appreciation of the Glider Rider music over the years has been gratifying to see. I had that on the Amstrad CPC as a kid, didn't know what the hell I was doing but loved driving around to that banger of a track.

Undertale has been mentioned already but I particularly enjoy this guy's acappela renditions:

The whole soundtrack is great but there are three or four tracks like this one that are so well developed, and shift and evolve in such a natural and emotional way, it blows me away every time I hear them. Quite humbling that the soundtrack and entire game was basically a one man show.

Also good, VVVVVV:

The way those ascending synth lines keep layering and harmonising in the intro there pleases my brain in a special way.

Also the original System Shock soundtrack has a futuristic sorrowful vibe that set the atmosphere of the game very well. This particular track isn't sorrowful but does have one of my all time favourite basslines:

oggyraiding

For some reason the Hyrule Field theme from Ocarina Of Time popped into my head. I feel Breath Of The Wild is really lacking in terms of music, compared to effectively every other Zelda game. I can vividly remember at least a few pieces of music from pretty much every Zelda title, but can't remember any from BotW despite playing 40+ hours of it. Just plinky plonky piano.

RetroRobot

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: oggyraiding on August 31, 2022, 11:05:22 AMFor some reason the Hyrule Field theme from Ocarina Of Time popped into my head. I feel Breath Of The Wild is really lacking in terms of music, compared to effectively every other Zelda game. I can vividly remember at least a few pieces of music from pretty much every Zelda title, but can't remember any from BotW despite playing 40+ hours of it. Just plinky plonky piano.

The castle music from BOTW, which ebbs and flows in intensity based on where in the level you are, is particularly memorable for me. Similarly the Garudo desert city theme (day and night) which sort of epitomise heat and laziness for me, not least because I fell asleep one night while playing over the summer and it sort of fuelled a few hours of uneasy yet pleasant sleep.

I think the BOTW music is interesting for how it never pops into my head, but if I stuck it on Youtube it would instantly sweep me away on a wave of intense associative memory.

jobotic

Quote from: oggyraiding on August 31, 2022, 11:05:22 AMFor some reason the Hyrule Field theme from Ocarina Of Time popped into my head. I feel Breath Of The Wild is really lacking in terms of music, compared to effectively every other Zelda game. I can vividly remember at least a few pieces of music from pretty much every Zelda title, but can't remember any from BotW despite playing 40+ hours of it. Just plinky plonky piano.

I do agree in general but the music in the Lost Woods is pretty sweet.

falafel

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on August 31, 2022, 11:15:27 AMI think the BOTW music is interesting for how it never pops into my head, but if I stuck it on Youtube it would instantly sweep me away on a wave of intense associative memory.

Alternatively you could buy a piano, a reverb pedal and a cat and you would be lost in a permanent revery

Until the cat died of starvation

Mr Trumpet

One of my favourite games for music (and everything else) has to be Planescape: Torment

Also love The Banner Saga:

But for my money the all time greatest video game banger comes from the obscure Apogee offering Mystic Towers, for which I only ever owned the demo:

I thought that said "mystic comers"

Dickie_Anders

I only played this game for a day but I still remember so much of its music

Sonny_Jim

If you haven't played RoboWarrior (and I wouldn't expect you would have), it's a top down RPG-ish bomberman game that's fiendishly difficult (even more so in the original Japanese version 'Bomber King').  It's fairly common to accidentally kill yourself, which the games composer alludes to in this live performance of the games main theme:

Mr Trumpet

Some more I love...

Xargon theme:

All the 8-bit folk tunes from Sid Meier's Colonization, such as:

and:

And this track from the brilliant X-Com Apocalypse which sounds like something Angelo Badalamenti wrote for Twin Peaks:

John Wanoa

Glebe

Quote from: John Wanoa on September 03, 2022, 05:37:20 PM
The first time ever hearing this in SH3 (in the mall?) chilled me to the bone with those opening weird warbles.... The rest of the track is melancholy.

Used to think the Closers were meant to be humming this:

weaseldust

everybody stop what you're doing right now and dance to this song
super smash bros ultimate - warioware inc

and then this one
kirby and the forgotten land - invasion at the house of horrors

TheGingerAlien

Schlippy

Some fantastic stuff in this thread.

The music that Rob Hubbard managed to squeeze out of 8-bit sound chips is genuinely staggering, I can remember loading Sanxion up with no intention of playing it just to listen to the loading music. Cruelly it cut off as soon as the game loaded, think this is the first time I've heard it all the way through:

And more recently, the theme from the Outer Wilds is lovely:

Quote from: Schlippy on January 22, 2023, 11:35:04 PMSome fantastic stuff in this thread.

The music that Rob Hubbard managed to squeeze out of 8-bit sound chips is genuinely staggering, I can remember loading Sanxion up with no intention of playing it just to listen to the loading music. Cruelly it cut off as soon as the game loaded, think this is the first time I've heard it all the way through:

Worth adding that Hubbard's C-64 work is written using only 3 channels - insane!

Quote from: Schlippy on January 22, 2023, 11:35:04 PMSome fantastic stuff in this thread.

Worth adding that Hubbard's C-64 work is written using only 3 channels - insane

niat

And more recently, the theme from the Outer Wilds is lovely:

Great tunes.

This is my favourite of his:

Mr_Simnock

These never get boring for me and are some of my all time faves

fortune palace

greenman

A few from Street Fighter 3 Third Strike when it went urban/club...

Gob Shine Algorithm

Just listened to the Freakzone Video Game Music Special from last weekend. Great that you can look up almost every game just by loading a bogstandard 8- and 16-bit emulator. Also, he stated that he prefers Assassins Creed Valhalla to God of War Ragnarok. Good boy, you know it makes sense.

The Crumb

There's some lovely music in Norco

oggyraiding

A lot of people slagged this off when Street Fighter IV came out, I think they removed it for the updated versions, but I think it's a rate banging choon.