Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:12:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ms Marvel Season 1

Started by Small Man Big Horse, June 09, 2022, 07:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on June 23, 2022, 05:06:03 PMIt really got it of hand.

It felt like there was an episode missing. The Djinn's have been on Earth for a century, but they can't wait a few more days for Kamala to decide whether she should risk destroying the planet just to send them home? I don't like arguing in favour of formula, but it seems to me the more effective way to handle it would be to have them draw her in to their viewpoint, only for the penny to drop later on.

It did all happen pretty quickly but it is all so light and fun that I don't mind. Also, I would rather they cut to the chase rather than drag it out like a lot of other Marvel shows do, stretching 4 episodes of plot out to 6 or 8. It isn't like much is really lost from cutting out the "she believes they are good but then finds out they are bad" stuff

Glebe

Yeah the sudden introduction of these new characters and their duplicitous nature kinda happened too fast. Still colourful fun though.

Really saddened to hear this has had such astonishingly low viewing figures. Is it because she's a relatively unknown character or are arseholes unwilling to accept a Muslim superhero?

colacentral

I think it's more a cocktail of the previous Marvel shows being generally mediocre and this one being marketed as something for 12 year old girls. I really thought the trailers made it look terrible and have done it no justice, but I think it's always more difficult to convey something light hearted and humorous in a trailer as opposed to something with a load of action and special effects.

phantom_power

Best rated Disney+ show on Rotten Tomatoes apparently, so that's nice

willbo

I look at a lot of random facebook threads about the show and it's getting a TON of hate from people who've never (and won't) watch it, like even when it was first announced. I feel like internet edgelords and entertainment are getting really aggressive. Like it's getting so you feel like if you watch a new Star Wars/Marvel show which is too PC/woke for them, one of them is gonna break down your door or something. I think online hate has done something to make the show feel uncool maybe.

Replies From View

Quote from: Glebe on June 10, 2022, 12:15:24 AMa high-school girl as a 46 year-old bloke

This is the wokest casting ever

Dr Rock

I enjoyed this initially, but I'm losing interest now.

Glebe

Quote from: Replies From View on June 30, 2022, 01:08:32 PMThis is the wokest casting ever

The whole thing is woke! The whites are the minority in this thing! The Muslims are taking over!

The Culture Bunker

Is it a bit obvious to assume that
Spoiler alert
Kamala, having gone back in time, will provide the 'trail of stars' that leads her grandma to their father?
[close]

Dr Rock

I know she's just getting used to her powers but when they were in that vehicle chase she could've tried a bit harder.

mjwilson

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on July 01, 2022, 10:33:55 PMIs it a bit obvious to assume that
Spoiler alert
Kamala, having gone back in time, will provide the 'trail of stars' that leads her grandma to their father?
[close]

Seems inevitable.

dissolute ocelot

This is proving entertaining. And feeling less worthily educational than e.g. Dr Who, maybe because it moves so fast and it's more complex than just Imperialism is bad. I'm pleased it's not just another story about stern Asian parents telling their kid to stay home, cover up, and not go to the dance. As someone mentioned, Kamala's family are lots of fun. I am a bit sad that all the graffiti/sketching stuff has gone out the window after the first couple of episodes, but otherwise looking forward to the rest of it. The fights and action scenes are a bit more inventive than a lot of Marvel too, maybe due to her having different powers, as well as the locations (there are some corridors, kitchens, and factories, but it's not all that). And it's keeping a human scale to it all, whereas the recent Spider-Man films just don't do it for me because I struggle to give a shit.

dead-ced-dead

The first episode is so well directed and frenetic, I do think it's a bit of a shame that its style has settled down a bit into more expected (but not bad) filmmaking. It's still fast and zippy, but as dissolute says, I miss the graffiti stuff and the rotating cameras.

Still a lot to like, though. I love the young lead actress. She's very aware that this is "her moment" but that self-consciousness works and she's grabbing each scene by the horns.

phantom_power

I knew nothing about Partition so it was really interesting finding out about this dark part of India/Pakistan's history and another thing England fucked up in the world.

Dannyhood91

I am enjoying this fair enough. It's fairly entertaining but I hate the Joss Whedony dialogue between the teenaged main characters

elliszeroed

Thought the final episode was incredibly heart-warming.

Spoiler alert
Marvel doesn't care much for secret identities does it?
Knowing about Zoe's arc in the comics, I found her line about it being Kamala's decision when to announce herself to the world pretty great.
[close]

I really think this is a character better suited to an ongoing TV show, rather than film series- these are characters you want to see grow and struggle, hard to do when there's a film every two or three years which is serving an ongoing story-arc.

phantom_power

I thought it was great. Fun, exciting, inclusive in all the right ways without needing to put too much of a hat on it or just pay lip service.

Good little mid-credit scene as well

touchingcloth

The final episode had a song used during the school fight with a rap by what I think was Riz Ahmed with an uncensored p-word or five. I'm pretty sure they've never done this with the n-word in films (even the Kendrick Lamar soundtrack omits rather than bleeps it), so is the word for Americans a bit like "wanker"?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

One of these series didn't drop the ball in the final episode? Now that is a marvel.

That said, maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention, but the series felt a bit unfocused overall, what with flipping back and forth between Damage Control and the clandestines as the baddies. I suppose it made thematic sense as a war on terror allegory, but it didn't seem all that dramatically satisfying. We spent several episodes with the clandestines going home as some apocalyptic threat, then their leader just gives her powers to her son, who just acts like kind of a dick about it.

Also, I never really got why the clandestines were so desperate to leave in the first place.

Also also, I thought Damage Control just tidied up after superhero fights. Shouldn't the government villains have been SWORD from WandaVision?

Also also also...
Spoiler alert
Mutants confirmed, or just an in-joke?
[close]

Moaning aside, it was a decent bit of fun and the lead actress was indeed marvelous.

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 13, 2022, 11:15:29 PMThe final episode had a song used during the school fight with a rap by what I think was Riz Ahmed with an uncensored p-word or five. I'm pretty sure they've never done this with the n-word in films (even the Kendrick Lamar soundtrack omits rather than bleeps it), so is the word for Americans a bit like "wanker"?
I believe so. Not that he's the poster child for political correctness, but I remember a clip of George W. Bush saying it without any apparent controversy. Here in Britain, we don't tend to add "stani" to the people of similarly named nations (e.g. Afghanistan, or Sebastianstan). The p-word had just been ruined by racists.

Snrub

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 13, 2022, 11:42:50 PMAlso also also...
Spoiler alert
[close]

I think it's (Doctor Strange - Multiverse of Madness Spoilers below too)

Spoiler alert
Mutants confirmed - wasn't jokey enough to be a joke for me. The use of the X-men cartoon theme mirror the same usage for Professor X's entrance in Doctor Strange MoM so things are clearly being lined up
[close]

Really did like this series overall - could have done without the entire series being an origin story and it did work best when things were popping off all over New York. Agree that it lends itself more to a series than a film, but I'm now excited for The Marvels because of Ms Marvel, having never really clicked with Captain Marvel in the MCU. Hope Kamala comes back for more TV series after that.

phantom_power

I am fine with it being an extended origin story because it is as much about developing the world and people around as much as her powers. Seeing a realistic, positive representation of Muslim life in America is refreshing, and having her family be typical but not stereotype was good as well. That her family were ultimately supportive of her rather than just an obstacle to overcome or avoid was interesting

AsparagusTrevor

Really enjoyed that overall. Like others have said, it was just a fun time.

However, I think this is the first MCU series that seemed like it could've benefited from few more episodes, like two or three more would've given it a bit more breathing room. Although, I would've been happy just to have more time with the characters, who totally carried the series and made it work in spite of some rushed storytelling.

elliszeroed

I thought it was unrealistic that the police would side with the community against Damage Control.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on July 13, 2022, 11:42:50 PMAlso also also...
Spoiler alert
[close]

Which bit are you referring to here?

Nxmee

Quote from: elliszeroed on July 14, 2022, 09:05:06 AMI thought it was unrealistic that the police would side with the community against Damage Control.

I however did find it realistic that the police let Damage Control through at the slightest pressure

Snrub

Quote from: phantom_power on July 14, 2022, 08:53:32 AMI am fine with it being an extended origin story because it is as much about developing the world and people around as much as her powers. Seeing a realistic, positive representation of Muslim life in America is refreshing, and having her family be typical but not stereotype was good as well. That her family were ultimately supportive of her rather than just an obstacle to overcome or avoid was interesting

That's a fair point and I certainly wasn't trying to take away from that. I think that could have been done still whilst getting her as the hero quicker. It's a nitpick though, I enjoyed the ride. Her family especially were extremely enjoyable. It was certainly one of the more confident and complete Disney + efforts so what do I know

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 14, 2022, 09:10:54 AMWhich bit are you referring to here?

Spoiler alert
In the final scene before the credits Bruno says he's been looking at Kamala's genes and there seems to be a "mutation" then the X-men theme briefly plays in the background
[close]

touchingcloth

Quote from: Snrub on July 14, 2022, 09:20:09 AM
Spoiler alert
In the final scene before the credits Bruno says he's been looking at Kamala's genes and there seems to be a "mutation" then the X-men theme briefly plays in the background
[close]

What's the in-joke? I've never seen
Spoiler alert
X-men
[close]
. And didn't we already have confirmation of
Spoiler alert
mutants
[close]
from Spider-man and Hulk?

Snrub

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 14, 2022, 09:22:30 AMWhat's the in-joke? I've never seen
Spoiler alert
X-men
[close]
. And didn't we already have confirmation of
Spoiler alert
mutants
[close]
from Spider-man and Hulk?
I don't think it is an in-joke, personally. It's just setting up

Spoiler alert
The X-men in the MCU. In Marvel, being a mutant means your genes are different from birth, so it's being born with super powers that tend to begin to show in your teenage years - which would fit with Kamala finding out her powers. Kamala would be the first Mutant we've been aware of in the mainstream MCU - Doctor Strange 2's multiverse not withstanding

EDIT - I guess the joke might have been that Kamala said it would just be another prejudice for her - a lot of the X-men story is about the public being prejudice against them for being "different", occasionally mirroring racial issues irl
[close]

phantom_power

Spoiler alert
I think the in-joke is the little sting from the old X-Men cartoon when Bruno says "mutation"
[close]

Quote from: elliszeroed on July 14, 2022, 09:05:06 AMI thought it was unrealistic that the police would side with the community against Damage Control.

Well it is a fantasy show

Ant Farm Keyboard

Marvel had been forbidden from mentioning mutants in their own productions as the adaptation rights to the X-Men belonged to Fox, and the main criteria for using characters from the comics was whether they were mutants or not.
Over the years, Marvel tried a few workarounds (including creating the Inhumans), but it was only when Disney bought Fox that the matter was settled. Now, people are waiting for the inevitable reboot, and more possibilities for the other properties to use characters that were described as mutants in the comics.

There was the same situation for James Bond films. Between The Spy Who Loved Me and Skyfall, they couldn't use SPECTRE or Blofeld due to the rights seating with somebody else, as part of the elements of Thunderball. They started to try workarounds with the reboot (Quantum) until the producers gained the screen rights to Thunderball, giving them control over all the material written by Ian Fleming.